Seeking info IH 706 Diesel

e.rose

If you buy a new tractor it will come with lots of electronic sensors, wiring, computer, etc. Just like an automobile that stuff starts giving problems after a few years. If you don’t use the tractor often rats will make nest under the hood and chew all the wiring. Your 706 technically doesn’t need any wires to run. The wiring it has is just for lights, battery charging and minor things that are not absolutely required. Taking into consideration the service cost related to new tractors it may be cheaper to build a shed for that tractor. If the tractor is in great shap it could give another 20 years of trouble free service.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, nomorejohndeere said:

Go get the machine you really need to do your chores and that you are happy and comfortable with

List it for around ten thou and move on when a buyer shows up with trailer and money

wouldnt bring 10K in these parts not sure about out west 

On 9/6/2021 at 11:30 PM, sandhiller said:

Sir, that is a very nice 706 and it belonged to a member of your family. 

And I know this isn't what you asked but.............

I would be proud to own that tractor.

the heritage that comes along with it is icing on the cake. 

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck!

I’ve offered my uncle many times what my grandpa’s tractors are worth but he wants them for the same reason I do .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ky966boy said:

I’ve offered my uncle many times what my grandpa’s tractors are worth but he wants them for the same reason I do .

Im just a bit sentimental I guess. 

As long as they stay in the family, all is good.

Wish you well and thank you for sharing a bit of your family history with us.

If it was a family tractor I’d keep it even if I only used it once a year. I’ve been working on an H that belonged to the gentleman that I bought my place from. We used to work together, not related, but he taught me how to irrigate and put up hay. So Gary was basically like an uncle, which is why I’m getting the old H running again, even though I don’t have a lot of work for it. I guess I’m trying to say that there are a lot of us who keep tractors we really don’t need because of a family or other personal attachment. Not to mention you have a really cool family tractor that most of us would love to have.