Seeking info IH 706 Diesel

e.rose

Greetings Farmall Folks... I was gifted this 706 when my uncle passed away as I was the one in the family who still was tending the land. I feel its too much tractor for my needs and am interested in selling it, but don't quite know what I have on my hands. It does run and I have used it a couple times for cutting. Google has such a wide range of info, I thought I would start here to seek some advice. I can send more specific photos also, I recognize this one is very broadstroke. Please excuse my ignorance on the topic of tractors. Thank you

IMG_1394.JPG

Looks nice

I suppose your looking for value?  Depends on location, time of year, how fast you want to sell it

Good tires, good paint, good seat, good battery, are all easy sell

TA?  How many hours? draw bar hole sloppy, brake/clutch petals wore slick? front end loose? leaks?

When your run your local ad are you going to have to say "It needs.........."

• Thanks 1

Sir, that is a very nice 706 and it belonged to a member of your family. 

And I know this isn't what you asked but.............

I would be proud to own that tractor.

the heritage that comes along with it is icing on the cake. 

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck!

• Thanks 1

I’m starting to see a trend here and I agree if it was mine I’d keep it. 
As far as value my suggestion would be to go to the tractor house website And look at other 706s. Just remember those are asking prices but there is probably a wide range. The other suggestion would be to see if machinery Pete has auction results on his website. Either way from the looks of the picture I’d say yours looks above average cosmetically. If it’s as good mechanically don’t sell it too cheap. 

• Thanks 1

Man, you sure you want to sell that. Very good looking 706 you got there. It has been very well taken care of. Usually when it looks that good its also good on the inside, especially coming from in the family. Even has a fender mount radio 😍

• Thanks 1

I agree it looks like a pretty nice tractor and would encourage you to hang onto it for a while and decide if you really want to sell it. After it's gone it will be hard to get back should you regret selling it. 706 is a nice size lil tractor and for the record there is no such thing as too much tractor. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is that a kraut or a 282? Either way shes a beauty id keep it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 660 driver said:

Is that a kraut or a 282? Either way shes a beauty id keep it.

That is a 282 American glow plug diesel. Certainly not my favorite engine, but I’m not a huge fan of the German 310 either. But don’t take my lack of enthusiasm over those engines to mean they are bad, just not my favorites.

• Like 1

the canister looks a little big to be an ether can doesn't it?  If it is I imagine the glow plugs aren't operable- or  someone figured out a way to put more head bolts in that thing.

to be serious, it looks like a pretty well cared-for tractor that shouldn't give you much trouble..     What are you doing with it that it seems too big?  It looks like a good match for the rotary mower

• Thanks 1

Looks like someone got tired of the glow plug system. I would get that checked into just to make sure that the glow plugs are indeed not functional. Why is it "too much tractor"? It looks nice and straight and comes with a pussy cat! 

I get it.   Maybe no personal attachment to the tractor even though its a family tractor, don't want to piddle around with a 40-50 yo machine all the time, maybe just buy a late model NH or JD yard/garden tractor that is smaller.    Even a 706 is pretty big if all you are doing is yard maintenence.

That is seriously a very sharp 706.  If its in as good of running condition as its paint, really its only downside is that its painted (not original).    Depending on where you live, that tractor could be anywhere from $6500 to $12000.   Or more with the right bidders

I guess I would ask the family if anybody else wants to purchase the "heirloom", and if not then ask around (who worked on the equipment for your Uncle) about local prices.

12 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Sure looks like a dispenser

46D45967-4B2D-4625-9B53-D2A42336EC39.jpeg

My '72 656 has the ether dispenser and button located below the steering wheel just like other 66 series.  I've always thought it seemed a little scary putting that on a glow plug machine.  Mine doesn't have a can in the dispenser, looks like maybe it never has had.

A diesel - to me, that's a big plus over a gas as far as fuel economy and having fuel fouling issues.  You don't say where you're located - a diesel can be difficult to near-impossible to start in really cold climates.  Does it smoke or continuously "haze" once it's warmed up?  Making any disturbing noises?  Brakes/hydraulics/steering/3pt/PTO/gauges all functioning well?  Any oil in the water or water in the oil?

The $100 replacement seat is collapsed/flopped back - they're pretty junky; spring for a good one if you replace it. (the wrap-around backrest is the junk part; core metal is too thin)

Appears to have the x56 shifter update; reduces originality, but increases usability (s'pose the whole back 1/2 could have been grafted to an x06 front)

Looks like a single hydraulic remote - if all you're doing is mowing, that's pretty irrelevant.

Looks like good rubber all around - Don't know how old you are, but might last you a "lifetime" of just mowing.

There's rarely such thing as having "too much tractor" (other than "too tall") - I'd bet you're just not used to running it yet.  Consider that you got this as a heirloom of sorts, AND you have zero dollars into it.  If you sell it/trade it to get something smaller, I can almost guarantee you'll come out "money behind".  I would think very carefully before selling it - once it's gone, it's gone!

My $0.02

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 8:48 PM, nomorejohndeere said:

Looks nice

I suppose your looking for value?  Depends on location, time of year, how fast you want to sell it

Good tires, good paint, good seat, good battery, are all easy sell

TA?  How many hours? draw bar hole sloppy, brake/clutch petals wore slick? front end loose? leaks?

When your run your local ad are you going to have to say "It needs.........."

Thank you for your insight! Ultimately, yes I am seeking some more info to determine value.  The tractor is currently in Northern California by way of the East Coast. It's always been garaged. It would be nice to sell it before winter to open up space for storing other vehicles/equipment inside. I dont know the hours, but it was more of a restoration project than a work tractor at least while he had it. Ive run it for cutting twice, once a year for two years and it runs and brakes and shifts rather easily. Ive actually been surprised how well it handles for such a big tractor. Thanks again !!  e

On 9/7/2021 at 1:18 AM, Michigan No Till said:

What's the rush, keep on mowing!

The cat will be disappointed too.

Wash and wax her up, take the 7 to a tractor parade or show.

Better check the serial##, never know what ya got.

Ha!! You noticed the cat :) I wondered who would. Great tip on checking the serial #, I'll do that. It's too wide to fit on car trailer so its not easy to bring around anywhere. So, im not able to move it around easily for shows/parades. Thanks for taking the time to respond. e

On 9/7/2021 at 2:27 AM, Jacka said:

Certainly not a run of the mill beat 706.I can see he took care of it painted in places,wheel studs painted, nice seat,good rubber. That tractor meant something to him .I don't know background on his story but for sure looks like a heirloom to me.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :) It is a good looking beast

On 9/7/2021 at 4:24 AM, mrfred54 said:

Man, you sure you want to sell that. Very good looking 706 you got there. It has been very well taken care of. Usually when it looks that good its also good on the inside, especially coming from in the family. Even has a fender mount radio 😍

Thank you :) Yes, it is a good looking beast and well cared for. THanks for noticing the radio, thats a pretty cool feature

On 9/7/2021 at 4:32 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

I agree it looks like a pretty nice tractor and would encourage you to hang onto it for a while and decide if you really want to sell it. After it's gone it will be hard to get back should you regret selling it. 706 is a nice size lil tractor and for the record there is no such thing as too much tractor. 🙂

Thanks for your reply.. True, its a good looking machine and runs well too. It's too much tractor for me only in that I don't have alot of flat ground and its a big machine to store and something smaller is kindof more appropriate for my needs. Though if I had ample storage space, I would definately keep it around for the cool ass old old tractor factor

• Like 1