Practical Blacksmithing on an IH plow

Sledgehammer

I’m sure 98% of you know this already, but the blacksmith was a fix it person long before he/she was glorified on TV making knives and such.  I picked up an IH 720 plow yesterday from a friend.  Once I got the yard work done today I decided to straighten the kickstand for the plow which was bent over time.   Took a couple pictures as I went. This could be done with a rosebud on a torch or possibly a press if no forge was handy. The steel is 5/8” thick. 

1) the kickstand as I started. Bend is at the top. The bottom bend is supposed to be there.

2) what I got

3) what I want

4) 7-10min of heating in the propane forge and a little hammering. Took more time to warm the steel than fix the bend.  Still a little glow in that pic if you look closely. 

488F2E2D-3CF6-4F1B-BD29-118B82C537CB.jpeg

1FC932E7-0FA9-4462-B42F-4651F20AE9C4.jpeg

2DD21586-C644-4A89-9863-A3E7F06C5E92.jpeg

494D65CF-9960-4713-8374-344B8C6AF819.jpeg

• Like 11

• Sledgehammer changed the title to Practical Blacksmithing on an IH plow
47 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’m sure 98% of you know this already, but the blacksmith was a fix it person long before he/she was glorified on TV making knives and such.  I picked up an IH 720 plow yesterday from a friend.  Once I got the yard work done today I decided to straighten the kickstand for the plow which was bent over time.   Took a couple pictures as I went. This could be done with a rosebud on a torch or possibly a press if no forge was handy. The steel is 5/8” thick. 

1) the kickstand as I started. Bend is at the top. The bottom bend is supposed to be there.

2) what I got

3) what I want

4) 7-10min of heating in the propane forge and a little hammering. Took more time to warm the steel than fix the bend.  Still a little glow in that pic if you look closely. 

488F2E2D-3CF6-4F1B-BD29-118B82C537CB.jpeg

1FC932E7-0FA9-4462-B42F-4651F20AE9C4.jpeg

2DD21586-C644-4A89-9863-A3E7F06C5E92.jpeg

494D65CF-9960-4713-8374-344B8C6AF819.jpeg

My dad used to talk about hammering plow shares to be reused. A coal forge and a trip hammer. I don’t know how many times they were remade but used to be big business up until late 60s

• Like 5

Not that it matters, but I think the small bend in the top is supposed to be there.   Reason being, I think it acts as a stop, when you start to loosen the handle and it doesn't come around and do bodily harm before you can out another hand on it.  Sorta takes the shape of the beam in the plow.

2 minutes ago, dale560 said:

My dad used to talk about hammering plow shares to be reused. A coal forge and a trip hammer. I don’t know how many times they were remade but used to be big business up until late 60s

Yeah. Forge weld new metal onto the west spots to give them new life. There were even “plow makers” anvils advertised by some companies. I’ve seen coal forges made for this also. You could do the process on any anvil or in any forge but they were shaped to accommodate the process. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

Not that it matters, but I think the small bend in the top is supposed to be there.   Reason being, I think it acts as a stop, when you start to loosen the handle and it doesn't come around and do bodily harm before you can out another hand on it.  Sorta takes the shape of the beam in the plow.

Understood. I left the small bend about 1/2” from the top. That’s the one you are talking about, correct? The setup/opp manual shows it as you say if I follow you correctly. That’s why I left the small bend at the top. 

B7199060-C1BE-469C-89EE-1C049C9EDB0D.jpeg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Cool1566 said:

I see 3 bottoms in the pic, Todd. Is that what it is or is it bigger?

It’s a 5btm. 

FBC474BD-DAA5-4FA6-BBCC-6C0A2FB8F700.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Not for nothing, but I'd call that more "heat and beat" than blacksmithing. Though there is a fine line.

Ok, fine.  Call it whatever you want. I was trying to put something on the forum to keep people involved.  

Much of blacksmithing is “heat and beat”. I didn’t need to forge weld anything or craft any special pieces. That just means nothing was broken too badly. I was also illustrating how, with the right tools, you can make certain things pretty easily.

Anyone big enough to swing a hammer could have straightened that piece out just like I did.  Does that make you feel better?  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

That plow is a twin sister to one that showed up last year at our place......early toggle trips and all.....

20200924_165627.jpg

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Ok, fine.  Call it whatever you want. I was trying to put something on the forum to keep people involved.  

Much of blacksmithing is “heat and beat”. I didn’t need to forge weld anything or craft any special pieces. That just means nothing was broken too badly. I was also illustrating how, with the right tools, you can make certain things pretty easily.

Anyone big enough to swing a hammer could have straightened that piece out just like I did.  Does that make you feel better?  

Keep posting your blacksmith and anvil pictures I really enjoy them. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

That plow is a twin sister to one that showed up last year at our place......early toggle trips and all.....

20200924_165627.jpg

Looks like nice paint. Metal cover boards on yours it looks like. Mine had Yetter plastic ones and they are broken. I’ve got a set of IH plastic ones in the shop to go on here. Need to replace one point and one moldboard on this one.  I’ve got a few extras so that shouldn’t be too bad either.  What do you pull yours with up there?

When we use it, it will go behind the 1486.

Dad also happened into a 710 with spring trip beams.  That will get shortened to 4 bottoms for the 706/656. (At more reasonable 8" deep)

Both have good wear iron.

We have tight black dirt that pulls hard, 6x16 was just right for 150hp (10"-12" deep)   You can pull more, but slow and really twisting her tail.  Old 700 6x16 had a bottom dropped off one hard pulling wet fall.....never put it back on, then quit plowing.

20200920_112248.jpg

20200920_112230.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mr. Plow said:

When we use it, it will go behind the 1486.

Dad also happened into a 710 with spring trip beams.  That will get shortened to 4 bottoms for the 706/656.

Both have good wear iron.

We have tight black dirt that pulls hard, 6x16 was just right for 150hp.   You can pull more, but slow and really twisting her tail.  Old 700 6x16 had a bottom dropped off one hard pulling wet fall.....never put it back on, then quit plowing.

20200920_112248.jpg

20200920_112230.jpg

I figured you would really need some weights to pull that with the Cub Cadet 😁. That 710 looks to be in good shape also 👍🏼👍🏼

• Haha 2

Ah..its all good Sledge....just keep on ''hitting them wheels ''.....:rolleyes:

...This morning, in the rain , down under...the ''jack stand '' bracket.....piece of 3in x 3in  RHS on the ""Hi -Tech"" Australian   IH,  "S" line  farm trailer, that we have been  carting rocks   etc on it......gave up....thus a repair  was in order....

Well, without my old US Flag emblazened  ""Miller ""  helmet.....with its magnifing lens..and my reading glasses.....and the Station's  toy welder.....a piece  of technology that Captain Cook probably left  here for the   "savages ''...about 200 years ago.....eventually  enough ''weld deposit '' was dotted    above , below...alongside the cracks...even by accident  , over the crack's......

To call this (my ) effort   a ""repair ", Sledge.....would be an affront to the English Language.......your endeavours  look almost pristine by comparison.....:)

...and , curiously,  there are NO   photo's  available of this   '''repair''.....unlike bitty/Finney  , and others who see fit to share their welding endeavours, on this, now psuedo   ""coffee shop'' forum

Lunch is over,,back to work...

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...This morning, in the rain , down under...the ''jack stand '' bracket.....piece of 3in x 3in  RHS on the ""Hi -Tech"" Australian   IH,  "S" line  farm trailer, that we have been  carting rocks   etc on it......gave up....thus a repair  was in order....

Well, without my old US Flag emblazened  ""Miller ""  helmet.....with its magnifing lens..and my reading glasses.....and the Station's  toy welder.....a piece  of technology that Captain Cook probably left  here for the   "savages ''...about 200 years ago.....eventually  enough ''weld deposit '' was dotted    above , below...alongside the cracks...even by accident  , over the crack's......

To call this (my ) effort   a ""repair ", Sledge.....would be an affront to the English Language.......your endeavours  look almost pristine by comparison.....:)

...and , curiously,  there are NO   photo's  available of this   '''repair''.....unlike bitty/Finney  , and others who see fit to share their welding endeavours, on this, now psuedo   ""coffee shop'' forum

Mike

I need that magnifying lens to. Did some welding on creep feeder for calves the other day and my sight is going away slowly.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Mike

I welded together the V feed pusher back together Saturday. The q-tach was ripped out. The hydraulic q-tach on the skid loaders is hard on those ESPECIALLY with some of the guys that I have using them. I don't remember if I posted these pictures or not. 3/8" AR400 plate two thick at an angle to add extra strength

IMG_20210904_111929038.jpg

IMG_20210904_082937599.jpg

IMG_20210904_082941324.jpg

IMG_20210904_080632908.jpg

IMG_20210904_080640564.jpg

IMG_20210904_111926672.jpg

IMG_20210904_080619581.jpg

IMG_20210904_080623127.jpg

IMG_20210904_080628490.jpg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Clearly what I wrote came out wrong. That wasn't the intention.

I watched my dad "heat and beat" bent parts back into shape for as long as I can remember. Just never occurred to any of us that it was blacksmithing.