Need Carbuetor overhauled on 63 1600 V8 304

hagan

My loadstar will not start. i try and it floods and then looking under the hood it probably had half a pint of  gasoline on the intake manifold. A few years a old fellow who was good at rebuilding carbs went thru it but he didn't do a very good job and has since died. I kind of think the float is stuck but hate to have to get a rebuilt one to cure it but better than a fire. I think i will take my small  hammer and beat on the front of the carb before i try and start it next time. It seems like since it is not ran much anymore it is a pain to keep running. If dad had not purchased it new in 63 i would cut it off and make a trailer

BTW it is a holly 2 barrel and the truck has a 4speed and 2 speed

Beating on it may free the needle if it's been sitting but if it continues.......

Have you checked the float level setting?

put a new needle and seat in it

check your float to be sure it has no holes and filling with fuel and sinking........

7 hours ago, hagan said:

My loadstar will not start. i try and it floods and then looking under the hood it probably had half a pint of  gasoline on the intake manifold. A few years a old fellow who was good at rebuilding carbs went thru it but he didn't do a very good job and has since died. I kind of think the float is stuck but hate to have to get a rebuilt one to cure it but better than a fire. I think i will take my small  hammer and beat on the front of the carb before i try and start it next time. It seems like since it is not ran much anymore it is a pain to keep running. If dad had not purchased it new in 63 i would cut it off and make a trailer

BTW it is a holly 2 barrel and the truck has a 4speed and 2 speed

i have no problem to do that carb but your way too far away. i even have couple of those on my 2 old 1600's. 

Fixed a similar issue on my 1700 with the 345, but still a 2 barrel Holley.  Actually had the bowl off several times, because I didn't realize it was cracked when I built the carb.

I'm no carb mechanic and I was able to fix it.  Not that bad of a job.  I would look for a cracked bowl, bad gasket, or maybe leaking adjustment screw on the top of the bowl. 

• Like 1

It’s a stuck needle and seat. You should have a Holley 2300, very easy carb to work on. The needle and seat screws out of the top of the fuel bowl without taking the bowl off. Count how many turns it takes the screw it all the way in before you pull it out, then unscrew it. Use carb cleaner to clean things up and make sure the needle is moving like it needs too. Then screw all the way in, and then back out the number of turns you counted to reset the float at the right level. Shouldn’t take more than 15 min or so to take care of.

• Like 1

A Holley should have a float level screw on the side of the bowl you adjust the needle valve and float till the fuel just trickles out 

As DaveinSD described. I like the to take the fuel line off and spray Gumout in the inlet to see if I can unstick them before I mess with adjusting the float  

Those early 2bbl holleys are a little different than the newer ones. Still a 2300 though. I've rebuilt mine numerous times over the decades. Usually it gets junk built up inside that needs to be cleaned out.

It will give less trouble if you will use it regularly or use good gasoline with a fuel stabilizer. 

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

Our Dairy Farm Community has had Many Small Dairy Farms Disappear Over the Past few Decades.

As a Small Kid Waiting in Line with Dad or Grandpa to get Feed Ground at the Local Elevator,

Was the Loadstar 1600 Truck Engine Conversations, V-8 verse 6 cylinder,  2 speed rear axle, or a 5 speed transmission,

I Enjoyed Going with Dad to Pretend we were getting a New Grain Truck, The Dealer Had  A

1965 a New 1600 Loadstar 304, 4 speed single axle Grain Box, set on the Truck Lot,  Beside it,

1965  a New 1600 Loadstar IH 6 cylinder 292? 4 speed single Axle Grain box, From what I remember with the Hood's closed, both trucks looked identical

Dad & Grandpa both remarked about the 6 Cylinders Reliability & Torque,

Both the trucks were sold to Different Neighbors, Saw them every Fall Hauling Ear corn to the Elevator to have feed ground,

Those Loadstars were sold at the Farm Auctions 40 years ago.

I Never Drove either truck to Compare the Drivability or Road speed.

I always Wondered, 300 cubic inches in a V-8 or a 6 couldn't have been a Big difference in performance,

Manufacturing the truck Chassis with a 6 cylinder or V8 had to be about the same cost.

I still Load our 1975 1600, 16 foot box 345 5/ 2 speed rear axle pulling a M&W wagon every fall. 

Also Load, 1975 Dodge 600, 16 foot box 361 5/ 2 speed rear axle pulling a M&W wagon every fall,

Both Trucks Have Paid for themselves many times, always reliable, only 2 Gasoline Engine trucks we use.

Jim Droscha

i just purchased and (easily) installed a 600 cfm Holley 4 barrel carb. It is a reconditioned-by-Holley unit, and it came with everything. All adjustments were right on and it started and ran perfectly. As i was shopping for the correct one, I saw that they also have a 500 cfm 2 barrel available too.

Mine cost me $228 delivered (through EBay), and many sources offer them (but make sure the one you order is the Holley-reconditioned one because they liquid flow test every one before offering it for sale

If you decide to replace, i highly recommend it as an option, since the 500 cfm Holley is a very good performer on dirt tracks and on the road

-Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Well got around to taking my carb to mechanic yesterday and come to find out the bottom is cracked so it will get a rebuilt one thru Oriley

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, hagan said:

Well got around to taking my carb to mechanic yesterday and come to find out the bottom is cracked so it will get a rebuilt one thru Oriley

Make sure they don't rip you off down at the O'Reillys...