Oil Catch Can Kits

Rick G.

Seein’ how’s we don’t have a coffee shop any more, here’s my non-IH post in this General IH section. 

Has anyone installed one of those  after market oil catch can kits on their new direct injection gasoline pickup truck engines? 

The theory is they are supposed to collect unwanted oily vapor residue to keep it from re-entering your engine’s  intake system and crapping up your intake valves and piston tops. 

Or, is it a gimmick not much more useful than say a K&N air filter? 

• Like 1

I would only add one if needed i.e. you see oil in the intake tube after the PVC hose entry.

I have two Ecotec LNF Turbo SIDIs an 07 and a 09 the 07 had some oily residue so I added one the the 09 doesn't.

Maybe a change in the baffle on the valve cover on the newer one?  Don't know

Haven't pulled an intake on either one to see if the valves are caked since I have no performance problems.

Both running well at max boost the stock head gasket will take.   

If you can come across a oil water separator for compressed air they will work.

Jegs has some inexpensive stuff  

• Like 1

I made this for my Peterbilt.

Its a dry sump oil tank originally intended for use in an outlaw winged sprint car . This particular one is made and available through Saldana racing . You can start with one of these and do whatever you want with it. 
 I welded in a quill ( more less a dip tube ) that drops into near the bottom of the tank. Then above that are two sets of screens and out the top it vents to atmosphere through an air filter thats also made for a sprint car. I also added a sight glass from a refrigerant receiver tank and a drain. 
The vapor off the top of the Jake brakes is now collected here rather then just out on the ground and all over the rear of the truck and trailer. 
3DD3478D-AB0B-4CE5-8EC2-7B6554A8D9C6.thumb.jpeg.651c8d787e13961022b265d415c4a945.jpeg

582996EB-E995-45D1-8859-314A307DF215.thumb.jpeg.cad3b3721d3d3a8ebae2ec6a25342ed1.jpeg

1F1A273F-44AB-4AED-93EE-777D3702CEE4.thumb.jpeg.8679b4b6517555db889400640f682358.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice work!! I like the hint the Moon sticker gives 

For New sealed  late model you need an inline with no vent.

I would try a in line spray gun filter and see if you catch any thing before investing in a aftermarket kit.

Most of those kits just have a tank with stainless steel wool a site glass and drain. 

image.thumb.png.3e31acd9b29bada9f2c12b85035ed1ad.png

• Like 1

Since the original poster admitted this topic doesn’t belong in this board, I have locked it.