Tractor of the week Farmall Regular

jeeper61

I thought I would jump start the Tractor of the Week over here in General IH.

I like the old stuff so I thought I 'd start at the beginning of the brand 

A prototype as displayed at the museum in Leesburg, FL

Show us what you got  

show queens or yard art or historic photos all are welcome 

IMG_0305.thumb.jpg.59c5d5fd47216f076a73a7f412e6c782.jpg

• Like 4

Grandpa's first tractor purchased new in Baxter Iowa the year corn got frosted out and there wasn't time to get it replanted with horses. The next year iirc he couldn't pay the farm rent due to the depression setting in. He kept the regular and kept farming and by the end of ww2 owned several farms. 

Haven't had it started in a couple years I need to get it out. 

20190321_171158.jpg

20190321_171138.jpg

• Like 14

On 9/6/2021 at 9:52 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Grandpa's first tractor purchased new in Baxter Iowa the year corn got frosted out and there wasn't time to get it replanted with horses. The next year iirc he couldn't pay the farm rent due to the depression setting in. He kept the regular and kept farming and by the end of ww2 owned several farms. 

Haven't had it started in a couple years I need to get it out. 

20190321_171158.jpg

20190321_171138.jpg

Wow! Thats a great piece of family history! Thanks for sharing! 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

c'mon man there is only a couple more days to get on board with this.🙂

Some one must have another story, photo etc..

Anyone got one on rubber?

Sorry, been jockeying on an F20 for several years but so far no dice… 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

@jeeper61 do you suppose the fluids are drained out of that regular? I don’t see a leak anywhere and those seals surely weren’t what you would call super tight. 

I see some spots on the floor under it 

I like the green giant rain cap its got a tether I wonder if that was factory?

I always have to fetch mine off the ground while the machine warms up.  

Always wanted to put a Maxwell House can around the tail pipe on the civic so I could fit in with the fart can crowd.

The car is blue so it would have matched wonder if I could get sponsor money for that

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I see some spots on the floor under it 

I like the green giant rain cap its got a tether I wonder if that was factory?

I always have to fetch mine off the ground while the machine warms up.  

Always wanted to put a Maxwell House can around the tail pipe on civic so I could fit in with the fart can crowd.

The car is blue so it would have matched wonder if I could get sponsor money for that

Maybe a go fund me.

1951 Farmall H was bought new by my uncle. His dad wanted a M and he came home with his own H. Bought at Dellinger Farm Equipment in Continental Ohio..Now is owned by my grandson.. Also a 1937 Case CC bought new from Williamson Equipment in Continental Ohio.. Lost for 35 years and found again.. Owned by me the nephew now..

Marky farmall picture.jpg

Case CC picture.jpeg

• Like 3

Would love to find a '25 or '26 Regular on steel. Just don't seem to be any in this area anymore.

Mike

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Whats in the barn ? said:

1951 Farmall H was bought new by my uncle. His dad wanted a M and he came home with his own H. Bought at Dellinger Farm Equipment in Continental Ohio..Now is owned by my grandson.. Also a 1937 Case CC bought new from Williamson Equipment in Continental Ohio.. Lost for 35 years and found again.. Owned by me the nephew now..

Marky farmall picture.jpg

Case CC picture.jpeg

Nice tractors grandson and nephew are lucky to have those family heirlooms 

Grampa didn't have any old stuff when he sold out in 1980 or we would have kept it 

There wasn't anything in the fence row on his farm he sent it down the road when he was done with it. 

this is my 1926 Regular. I bought it from an elderly ex-farmer who used it on his family's farm for many years. When he sold the farm, he kept 3 Regulars, an F12 with a Massey Harris loader, and an M. After many more years, he sold them, and I got the 1926 and the F12. My brother got his 1929 Regular. All the old tractors had been refitted with electric start and foot brakes, and the Regulars also have Monroe Easy Rider seats. The old man had just rebuilt the engine on the one I got, but  couldn't see well enough to time the magneto. Old F20 from the forum helped me with that. Thanks, Ryan. It had steel rear and cutoff rubber on the front.

100_1391.thumb.JPG.623173c958cd1f059fa7192e28005830.JPG

100_1423.thumb.JPG.609361f02c9ddd36505ef5f16369a919.JPG

I changed it over to F&H rims after I had it for a few years.

312347165_Regular8-18-11from1755.thumb.jpg.05c4d03496e9d3df11cf7c55866665a6.jpg

We took the 1926 and 1929 to RPRU in LaPorte, Indiana in 2010.

100_1563.thumb.JPG.fea4744a7316e344915bfae1f171219d.JPG

I also have a 1929 Regular on steel and another 1929 Regular with an F20 engine on rubber.

• Like 9

Love the patina on them dont ever paint them.. NY BILL !

• Like 1

Not sure I've ever been around one of them running.  They must be kinda loud without any exhaust stack?

My granddad had an F20 and an F12, both on steel.  When  I was little back in the early 70s they were still rusting under the trees but Dad sold them.  I think they were supposed to have been fixed up by the new owner but that's another thing I can't ask Dad about now.

1 hour ago, Whats in the barn ? said:

Love the patina on them dont ever paint them.. NY BILL !

33 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

True patina is a beautiful thing 😁

In the 1930s, IHC had a program to bring in your "old" steel wheel tractors to get them retrofitted with rubber tires and a tuneup. Painted if you wanted. I have a poster made up by Nebraska Cowman extolling the program and how much easier the tractor rides and works on rubber. I am going to leave the Regular just as it is, with only painted wheels.

• Like 1

...here is a modest contribution to  Jeeper's request  for an old pic or two....

The  15/30  was  located in the blackberries about 5 or  6 miles from home, in those days

My friend Leslie wanted to get it going , and use it on his burley tobacco patch   That was Dad's    six cylinder Ford diesel 4x4 conversion tractor, and  an old truck deck trailer, I had made..me standing on the back, and my Canadian domiciled Brother, looking on in  awe......Second  picture is the old 15/30  sporting a T20 petrol tank, discing his burley paddock...a John Deere "M"  middle left side, Les's bonus built '49 Ford 3/4 ton, in the middle of the pic, the old Nash cut down car/truck right hand side middle...3rd picture is the 15/30  running a water pump, off the belt pulley, irrigating some burley.....

Mike

(All this , early sixties...)

post-157-1162020991       Leslie  tractor  rescue.jpg

post-157-1165083477       leslie h.jpg

post-157-1171157710    leslie.jpg

• Like 6

...a bit more detail  !!...the 15/30   had been relegated to the black berries due to a shattered steering box  'housing'....All the broken bits were there..in a tin.....I had just finished learning to weld...properly, at the Caterpillar Dealershp, thus , had a go at repairing the box...It worked a treat, used nickel rods,preheated etc etc....looked neat, and after more bits and pieces, the whole shebang had a coat of red paint...applied by brush.....

Radiator was ok, messed with carby, and magneto, put a T20 petrol tank instead of an old 12 gallon drum, put rubber on the front wheels...simply by welding 750/20 truck rim to the original spokes....Put an outer bearing in the belt pulley  assembly ...and rebuilt the ''draw bar''.....Les ran a brew of petrol /kero in the old tractor...It went well...

The tractor came into my keeping, after  a drunk kid in a  ""borrowed ""  56 Chevrolet sedan  t-boned Les , coming home,with his new Australian fiancee, in his '49 Bonus Built, from the local town, in 1966.......still hurts......That kid took out three lives that night.....including his own ''girl friend''...the kid lived

I have since given  15/30  it to an old friend, who loves the old steel wheel IH's. and who needed an engine for his 15/30....steering box is now redundant  ...but ''a good spare ''  as my friend said, bravely....!!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

What I never liked about the old F series was the seating/steering arrangement . At the time I had an f 12 and f14 I was going through some back trouble. However these original  Farmall's  where a high quality product and very practical. They must of replaced thousands of horses and miles of walking in the field. I also believe they outlived there usefulness and could have been rebuilt several more times.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moodnacreek said:

What I never liked about the old F series was the seating/steering arrangement . At the time I had an f 12 and f14 I was going through some back trouble. However these original  Farmall's  where a high quality product and very practical. They must of replaced thousands of horses and miles of walking in the field. I also believe they outlived there usefulness and could have been rebuilt several more times.

At least you have a platform to stand on with the F-12/14 instead of hanging off the rear axle on the bigger Farmalls.  The original Farmall design got passed up rather quickly by tractors such as the Case CC and Oliver 18-27.

• Like 1