5.9 cummins engine question

pt756

there is a 5.9 cummins engine a wheeled excavator that is about 40 years  old a case 1085. backhoe is bad shape, motor has 7k hours on, its going to be sold for salvage. what can a motor like that be worth? kind of my eye on it for the 756 german when that time comes, i know there are kits made for the exchange , is it all worth it hte end. thanks

If you have a plan and the opportunity,  do it. If you change your mind it would be an easy sell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pt756 said:

motor has 7k hours on,

Doing simple math, that is about how many hours I have on my 20 year old 5.9 and it shows no sign of needed attention. 

Get the sucker in your shop and as Seth says, if you change your mind, easy sell and probably make a little coin on it as well. 

10 minutes ago, mmi said:

that yr is $4500 >

Wow, why? Mechanical? Last mechanical was ‘96 wasn’t it? So your saying just an engine is 4500.00 then what would a truck around it go for? A bit more, a lot more, no more?

any stealer that can,has most low hour engines pushing $10K  non computer little epa ,and many are short blocks,with yours returned in usable condition intact( umm then why would you change it?)

the truck....depends what cidiotes are around  and doenst even matter if they have $$  ...charge it.

$12-50K more ...yes !! 89-16 doesnt matter ,17> cheaper for new

and near impossible to get pictures or true details of mileage and total rust out. just get cash in hand  and drive 6 hrs its a steal at $20K

https://cppdiesel.com/cummins-12v-6bt-takeout-engines-conversion-ready/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Ymmyrzp8gIVhc3ICh1EnQgYEAQYBCABEgLNQ_D_BwE

wonder if they run them without oil also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysoCZItBXfI

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pt756 said:

there is a 5.9 cummins engine a wheeled excavator that is about 40 years  old a case 1085. backhoe is bad shape, motor has 7k hours on, its going to be sold for salvage. what can a motor like that be worth? kind of my eye on it for the 756 german when that time comes, i know there are kits made for the exchange , is it all worth it hte end. thanks

Why would you put a sleeveless junk rattle trap Cummins in a nice 756?? At least you can do an in-frame rebuild on the IH engine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Wow, why? Mechanical? Last mechanical was ‘96 wasn’t it? So your saying just an engine is 4500.00 then what would a truck around it go for? A bit more, a lot more, no more?

In the tractors the mechanical pump 5.9s ran until at least 2001.  There were 6.7s with mechanical pumps after that yet.  $4500 sounds kind of high for a 40 year old 5.9.

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Why would you put a sleeveless junk rattle trap Cummins in a nice 756?? At least you can do an in-frame rebuild on the IH engine.

Those “junk” engines you speak of generally run from 15-25,000 hours before overhaul.  I have yet to see an IH engine (as much as I like IH engines) do that.  Not even close.  And the Cummins is perfectly rebuildable.  Just isn’t quite as easy.

thanks for replies so far, the machine sat for  2years outside and this summer i tried to start it took right off, the rest of the problem is the 1085 excavator, parts i am told are hard to come by, right now we took the torque converter off, it is ruined, bearings out, and then we drained oil out of transmission and filter all these bright shiny particles in the oil. so i would assume the aluminum has circulated thru out the rest of the machine, those 1085,s i were told were made right here in wisconsin and nearly every township had one, it was a good idea , had an extendable boom, we put a mower on it plus buckets,  very few left now and case dealer claims parts are pretty much nla,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

yea, exactly...especially not in an excavator.

Our 5140 is over 20,000 hours and I'm 95% sure that the engine is all original (I did replace the injectors).  The 5.9 is every bit as good as any engine IH ever built and better than many of them.

I have seen school buses, professionally maintained and low hour on auction,   within the range of 150K miles go for around $2,500 complete running bus with an allison (in states where there is a mandatory life cycle for a yellow bus). So if you look around the Cummins 6b FAMILY can be had much cheaper than you think. The old mechanical engines are getting scarce but the 24 valve electronic ones are available.  If you are just  looking for a diesel to put in something the Cat 3118,  C7 in  a yellow bus can be had for $1500 . YEP, the whole bus, if you just be patient. Buses with the ISC and ISL Cummins will cost more but they can be had! By far the yellow bus is least expensive medium duty diesel vehicle in the USA. 
Good luck with your projects.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stronger800 said:

If you put it in a tractor or not, everybody agrees the engine is worth 2500-4K, so buy  it, and scrap the chassis while scrap is high. Save motor for rainy day. Or sell it

Stronger has the right idea you will end up with a free motor since its very little of the overall weight 

2 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

But why ruin a good IH tractor by putting someone else’s engine in it?

Did wonders for dresser ….

I know two guys around here that buy buses all the time for the engines. They are into Duramax style though, they put bids out on them and pick them up when they can, pull the motors, sell the rear axles, etc. one of them is actually building a nice service truck out of a shorter bus with a Duramax right now

• Like 2

well yesterday an older guy that has a yard full of these 1085.s offered the town chairman 3 thousand for it, he will haul it, and while there he pointed out all the aluminum thats in  the hydraulic oil, so i guess i wont have to worry about getting the motor, thanks for replies. 

2 hours ago, pt756 said:

well yesterday an older guy that has a yard full of these 1085.s offered the town chairman 3 thousand for it, he will haul it, and while there he pointed out all the aluminum thats in  the hydraulic oil, so i guess i wont have to worry about getting the motor, thanks for replies. 

Something fishy going on there. If it’s property of a municipality, it has to be auctioned off publicly, not sold to the first guy who walks in off the street. Unless maybe there’s more to this situation than you have presented so far.

21 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

But why ruin a good IH tractor by putting someone else’s engine in it?

I am totally on your side. I would never replace our Neuss with anything Cummins.  BUT CIH used the ISC 8.3 Cummins in  several newer tractors in 2000 or so.  OR was it just the combine?? I downloaded a set of ISC engine manuals from CIH, almost the same engine we have in our old Gillig Transit bus RV conversion.

• Like 1