Mx 135

SD6788

Do any of you guys know if there is a difference between a 135 vs MX100-120 ?  

Also does anyone else have a load noise when the clutch locks up in higher gears ?  For example the F/R clutches are quiet in 1/2nd range.  But when you go to 3/4th the clutch squaks and makes a bad sound.  I had a dealer say they all make that sound.  There is also a additive to put in from Case IH.  There is a bulletin out there saying the clutch coefficient is wide and that’s why you end up with the noise.  Seems like the late model ones don’t do that.  Anyway thanks. 

The MX135 shares most parts with the MX100/110/120.  I do know the MFD axle is a size larger than the smaller models.  Also the injection pump has the aneroid that the smaller models do not.  Could be the cooling system is a bit larger, I can’t remember exactly.

What you are hearing with clutch engagement is most likely clutch chatter.  You are probably having  brake chatter as well when you apply the service brakes.  I had that problem bad with my MX135 for over 1000 hrs.  Tried CNH’s magic juice axle additive to no avail.  Finally got rid of the Hy-Tran and went to Mobil Tractor Hydraulic Fluid and the clutch and brake chatter was gone in about 2 hours of operation.  The chatter is a result of prolonged use of Hy-Tran Ultra and/or Ultraction. This problem can afflict the 5100, 5200, MX Maxxums, MXC, 7100, 7200, 8900 and MX Magnums.

14 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Tried CNH’s magic juice axle additive to no avail.  Finally got rid of the Hy-Tran and went to Mobil Tractor Hydraulic Fluid and the clutch and brake chatter was gone in about 2 hours of operation.  The chatter is a result of prolonged use of Hy-Tran Ultra and/or Ultraction. 

Been a lot of issues with newer clutch and brake materials and the need to use "special additive" .

This is showing up in car and light truck automatics as well and the OEM has put out a TB to put in special fluid to resolve.

Makes me wonder if they get the materials from China and they value engineered the formula when the mass production starts.

Wouldn't be the first time I have seen them bait and switch.

On 9/5/2021 at 5:18 PM, SD6788 said:

Also does anyone else have a load noise when the clutch locks up in higher gears ?  For example the F/R clutches are quiet in 1/2nd range.  But when you go to 3/4th the clutch squaks and makes a bad sound.  I had a dealer say they all make that sound.  There is also a additive to put in from Case IH.  There is a bulletin out there saying the clutch coefficient is wide and that’s why you end up with the noise.  Seems like the late model ones don’t do that.  Anyway thanks. 

I don't worry about that....just the way the wet clutch system is....maybe you let the clutch out a little too soon...maybe the engine speed and transmission speed isn't quite in synch....higher gears may use more torque than lower gears....

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

I don't worry about that....just the way the wet clutch system is....maybe you let the clutch out a little too soon...maybe the engine speed and transmission speed isn't quite in synch....higher gears may use more torque than lower gears....

If his MX135 is anywhere near as bad as mine was — not good to ignore it. All that chatter has to be hard on the components. And the cure is easy. 

3 hours ago, SD6788 said:

Gearclash.....do you remember the exact oil you used?  

Yes, as mentioned, Mobil Delvac Tractor Hydraulic Fluid, formerly known as Mobil 424. I think there are a few other offerings out there that would work as well, just make sure it is a premium hydraulic fluid.