This old hat ?

Hello everyone  ,    My dad left behind this unusual looking hat  .   It has a label inside which looks like made in the USA  ,  Munrry ,Munncey TROPPER   ?   , St . Charles , Illinois   .     Its hard to see the lettering  .   Its a hard fiber hat  .  It might have been spray painted since it has a green hue to it underneath  .  Rivet and flex bracket hold the hat band to the hat  .     I might have seen pictures of heavy equipment operators wearing this style hat  ,   Operators in IH crawlers included .          Maybe some one knows some thing more on this old hat .    Thanks .   

100_0700.JPG

100_0701.JPG

100_0702.JPG

100_0703.JPG

• Like 1

Ok , I  will bite on my own question ,   its a pressed fiber sun helmet from what I found out .    This design started pre WW2   . The marines wore them and later army soldiers .        military trader.com      is where i found information  .      Never thought of it as a helmet but it is .   

Was not satisfied yet .  Recently find out this style hat was marketed to civilians and boy scouts early on   .   In the Boys Life magazine , August 1936  , Vol XXVI , no. 8  issue  there is an ad listing it as the Hawley Tropper sun and rain hat .   This hat was such a hit the military adopted the  sun helmet design in 1940 .     It was then sold by Hawley products and the International Hat Company , no relation to International Harvester that I can see . And hundreds of thousands were made .    

What this could be is an early civilian or Boy Scout pre 1940 hat  going by the label  .   Its missing the chin strap  . 

Edited by OLD 10-20
found more information
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 3:53 AM, OLD 10-20 said:

It that an original color ?     Yours has more air vents  .😉

Old 10-20.......some of the early IH tractors , no doubt made it almost obligatory, for any head gear to have plenty of vents...this to help release the frustration.....:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2021 at 12:19 PM, OLD 10-20 said:

Hello everyone  ,    My dad left behind this unusual looking hat  .   It has a label inside which looks like made in the USA  ,  Munrry ,Munncey TROPPER   ?   , St . Charles , Illinois   .     Its hard to see the lettering  .   Its a hard fiber hat  .  It might have been spray painted since it has a green hue to it underneath  .  Rivet and flex bracket hold the hat band to the hat  .     I might have seen pictures of heavy equipment operators wearing this style hat  ,   Operators in IH crawlers included .          Maybe some one knows some thing more on this old hat .    Thanks .   

100_0700.JPG

100_0701.JPG

100_0702.JPG

100_0703.JPG

These hats go by various names ,most commonly ."pith" helmet ,sun helmet ,safari helmet ,topee,topi etc. ( as the originals were a light weight cloth covered helmet made of sholapith).They were originally modeled off a similiar version called the solacot, used by the Philipinos.The Spanish army  wore them when they controlled the Phillipines way back when.They were then adopted by various armies operating in tropical climes back in the colonial days, Brits,French ,Dutch,Germans ,Chileans  Etc.The Brits had them as far back as 1858.The US army got hem near the start of the 2nd war The Viet Cong still use a similiar version.They become very popular in the 1900,s for civilian use .I still think the Marine sharpshooter instructors  on Parris Island wear them with black or gold insignia,depending if they are coaches or trainers.They were found to be clumsy and conspicuous  in the field  after WW2 so  were ceased to be worn on active service.