656 with shuttle shift

sandhiller

So as the title implies, I picked up a 656 with a F-R shuttle shift today. Rare or not really?

Should make a handy little loader tractor

I've never seen one before but then I live under a rock so.........

IMG_20210904_224539569.thumb.jpg.6cce8e9c08685a400f296088a8d9cce8.jpg

Went to see my friend George's widow to help her go through some ofh his things.

She was wanting to simplify and I was trying to figure out a discreet way to get her a little money.

She wanted to give stuff that meant something to him and me and take the rest to auction. 

I bought a little including the tractor. It was the first tractor he bought when he bought his ranch and he bought it back after the bank sold him out a couple springs ago. Sentimental value.

"A little"? ****, after I got the pickup and trailer loaded, I looked like the Beverly hillbillies come to Nebraska 😄

I even got all the wild barn cats she could trap☺️

IMG_20210904_202922916.thumb.jpg.50b747bbb81cf35eb78d68b0037b2c23.jpg

So anyway, neat find or meh, not so much?

• Like 11

I didn’t even know IH had a shuttle shift until about 4years ago, went to an auction and there was a 504 that didn’t run with a shuttle clutch, first and only one I’ve ever seen. Too bad IH didn’t have that available on some of the bigger tractors, that would be handy. Hopefully someone like pete23 steps in here and sheds some light on this for people like us that live under a rock

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

If it's your buddies then it's pretty neat

X2 

I have never seen a shuttle shift tractor. The 500c or T340 dozer the neighbors uncle had might be a shuttle I don't remember ? @taylor1566 do you remember? 

• Like 1

I agree with the other guys in that if for no other reason it's neat cause it meant something to your buddy. 

To me the shuttle would be pretty cool. Did they hold up well? Do you have to come to a complete stop to use it? I assume so? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I agree with the other guys in that if for no other reason it's neat cause it meant something to your buddy. 

To me the shuttle would be pretty cool. Did they hold up well? Do you have to come to a complete stop to use it? I assume so? 

I haven't played with it a lot but yes come to a stop.

I am very curious to find out more about it to.

Glad I'm not the only one with the nickname Rocky😄

47 minutes ago, bitty said:

X2 

I have never seen a shuttle shift tractor. The 500c or T340 dozer the neighbors uncle had might be a shuttle I don't remember ? @taylor1566 do you remember? 

we had T340 with a shuttle shift went faster in reverse then forward had to clutch to go from forward to reverse.

pete

• Like 1

I think I'd still rather have the T/A than the reverser shift you still have to clutch to reverse it , plus you'd lose a lot of forward speeds 

3 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

I think I'd still rather have the T/A than the reverser shift you still have to clutch to reverse it , plus you'd lose a lot of forward speeds 

But I believe you get more, faster, reverse speeds. If it’s like the shuttle or “ fast reverser” as IH called it on the 340 and 504. 
I’d like to see some pictures of the shuttle shift lever if possible. I assume it’s the same as the torque lever?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

You would loose the TA speeds but you gain the extra reverse speeds. I have always thought that the 5 speed reverse was painfully slow. Awful on a loader. The reverser should be nice. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IH Forever said:

like to see some pictures of the shuttle shift lever if possible. I assume it’s the same as the torque lever?

In forward

IMG_20210905_162510656.thumb.jpg.7597bdce4d0dc63bde228985acca0d52.jpg

And in reverse

IMG_20210905_162521221.thumb.jpg.b9ed51fb0935aa1db63b59c18d195ef2.jpg

And finally a pic of the linkage and where it goes into trans.

IMG_20210905_162545615.thumb.jpg.a335a3491e918fddc4424744815a8d2c.jpg

And yes you lose forward speeds. Bit gain in reverse.

Seems like a really big jump between second and third. 

Don't know about first second split as first gear is MIA at this time 😢

And does seem to go faster in rev vs forward in each gear.

5 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

You would loose the TA speeds but you gain the extra reverse speeds. I have always thought that the 5 speed reverse was painfully slow. Awful on a loader. The reverser should be nice. 

I am thinking in terns of loader use and the faster reverse as well as ease of running shuttle lever will be an advantage IMHO.

• Like 2

Had a 504 industrial with a reverser, would have been handy, but the tractor was pretty well spanked, needed far more than I wanted to give it. That should be very nice to have. 

• Thanks 1

I would think it would be great on a loader....

If I am running our 684 in "loading" mode, I often jump up to 4th gear and shift between 4L forward and 4R (much faster reverse), seems to be ideal for bucking the pile with control, then backing out.  It's a straight line shift, and fast.

• Like 2

Im no expert if it’s rare or not but I have seen a few industrial tractors from that era with a forward/reverse option but I haven’t seen it on a farmall version, so yea I would call it rare in my mind. Even better with the sentimental value!  And keep the barn cats as that ‘barn cats’! 

• Like 1

Here is the specifications page for a 656 showing the forward - reverse ground speeds.  Also, a page from a service manual showing how the forward - reverse planetary gear set takes the place of the TA.

DD96C52A-AD97-4110-998F-0D58F31C3719.jpeg

0EEBCED1-9C44-4311-AA5D-60A0C33666F4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, E160BHM said:

Here is the specifications page for a 656 showing the forward - reverse ground speeds.  Also, a page from a service manual showing how the forward - reverse planetary gear set takes the place of the TA.

DD96C52A-AD97-4110-998F-0D58F31C3719.jpeg

0EEBCED1-9C44-4311-AA5D-60A0C33666F4.jpeg

I was trying to get done yarding bales so I didn't spend a lot of time with the tractor, got it off the trailer and drove to the shop but I think I have a different trans than what this chart shows. 

1st gear is a dead hole,

big jump between 2nd and 3rd

and an even bigger jump between 3rd and 4th and no 5th gear. 

The way it pulled the tractor down when I shifted into 4th, pretty sure that is the road gear. 

I would have to gps to get the speeds which maybe I'll do tomorrow if I get time. 

1632812922_656FRshuttlespeeds(2).jpeg.e57b6fc7358611ae03075bd988597fe7.jpeg

14 hours ago, sandhiller said:

1632812922_656FRshuttlespeeds(2).jpeg.e57b6fc7358611ae03075bd988597fe7.jpeg

I've only seen this on Internationals and not Farmalls.  But looking at the speeds tells the reason for this, I think it would be great on a tractor used for loader work.  The reverse on my Farmall 340 is painfully slow, I can't imagine it as a loader tractor.  With this you could have some usable reverse speeds.

• Like 1

We have a 65hp John Deere at work, (I believe it's a 2007 or so),with what they call a "Power Reverser" ive never looked in the book to see if you should clutch it or not, it just seams right to me. It comes in very handy on that loader tractor and must've been quite an innovation in the mid-late sixties. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Farmer in training said:

We have a 65hp John Deere at work, (I believe it's a 2007 or so),with what they call a "Power Reverser" ive never looked in the book to see if you should clutch it or not, it just seams right to me. It comes in very handy on that loader tractor and must've been quite an innovation in the mid-late sixties. 

No clutching required on those and yes they are the ultimate loader tractor