Skid loader tires are junk nowadays

bitty

Had switched to BKT after having the same issues with Galaxy Beefy Babys . We used to be able to recap our caseings multiple times. Now I can't wear all the tread off a virgin tire 

IMG_20210904_152704196.jpg

IMG_20210904_152709938.jpg

IMG_20210904_152722678.jpg

IMG_20210904_152730511.jpg

• Sad 1

I tried the BKT brand some ten plus years ago.....tractor tires

Had one that split out from in between each rib to the rim before it was half worn

Went by the place I bought it to see if they would replace it or prorate under some type of warranty or goodwill and they did not.

Haven't bothered with them since...............BKT or that tire shop..........

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

So far haven’t had any issues with the beefy baby. Almost 7,000 hours on the case 90xt and it’s just going onto it’s 3rd set of tires.  Think there’s 3-400 hours on them now. 

I think the beefy baby 2 was better than the 3 was. Used to be about the best for durability for the casing . Only tires we have had last lately for recaps are the 14-17.5 Firestones. Unfortunately they don't make it in a 12-16.5 as all but one of our skid loaders are 12-16.5 . Right now the recap machine is broken and the part is NLA . 

I repaired the q,tach on the feed pusher this morning

IMG_20210904_080640564.jpg

IMG_20210904_080632908.jpg

IMG_20210904_082941324.jpg

IMG_20210904_082937599.jpg

IMG_20210904_080619581.jpg

IMG_20210904_111926672.jpg

IMG_20210904_080628490.jpg

IMG_20210904_080623127.jpg

IMG_20210904_111929038.jpg

• Like 3

We have had galaxy tires do what your pictures show.  Michelin bibsteel is a good tire .  I have recapped 12 now with wastehauler tread. Have  not have one do that yet.  We are running Michelin tweels on manure skidloaders.  We have used those claw daddy tires and galaxy hulk solid but the ride is horrible and the traction is poor.  

1 hour ago, bitty said:

I think the beefy baby 2 was better than the 3 was. Used to be about the best for durability for the casing . Only tires we have had last lately for recaps are the 14-17.5 Firestones. Unfortunately they don't make it in a 12-16.5 as all but one of our skid loaders are 12-16.5 . Right now the recap machine is broken and the part is NLA . 

I repaired the q,tach on the feed pusher this morning

IMG_20210904_080640564.jpg

IMG_20210904_080632908.jpg

IMG_20210904_082941324.jpg

IMG_20210904_082937599.jpg

IMG_20210904_080619581.jpg

IMG_20210904_111926672.jpg

IMG_20210904_080628490.jpg

IMG_20210904_080623127.jpg

IMG_20210904_111929038.jpg

I’m not positive which series we have on there. It’s possible it’s still a earlier series. I know the tread wasn’t quite the same as the originals. 

It’s amazing the abuse those couplers take over the years. Eventually something has to give I guess. I’m quite surprised our pallet forks that we rigged up haven’t broke the mount out to be honest. It’s lifted way more then it probably should have and so far it’s hanging in there. 

Recapped tires on a skid loader just sounds like trouble. Too much twisting and turning 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smfarms said:

Recapped tires on a skid loader just sounds like trouble. Too much twisting and turning 

Id agree. Im done with any recaps.

Ive never had them on skid loaders but have on trucks. They are nothing but trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smfarms said:

We never had any recaps fail only casing problems. Close to double the life of recap compared to a virgin tire . Tread is harder 

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the solid tires? I need to do a set soon on the SS, last I priced BKT were about 150 each, seems like solid ones were double that or more, wondered if it was worth doing? 

17 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Has anyone tried the solid tires? I need to do a set soon on the SS, last I priced BKT were about 150 each, seems like solid ones were double that or more, wondered if it was worth doing? 

I foam filled my tires. It cost as much as the tire, but I was spending that much fixing flats anyhow. They ride like steel tires.
for years dad would use cheap tires, but I found Bobcat brand last much longer. If you’re gonna get it filled, use a good tire.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

We had two sets of claw daddy solid tires . We experienced much more axle and bearing failures during that time. They are narrower than air tires and sink to China especially when turning. They do make good rototillers though.

We have one set of foamed caterpillar branded tires that came on one of the ones we have now . We put them on the shop skid loader and only use that one for known bad things like cleaning up the burn pile etc 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

I foam filled my tires. It cost as much as the tire, but I was spending that much fixing flats anyhow. They ride like steel tires.
for years dad would use cheap tires, but I found Bobcat brand last much longer. If you’re gonna get it filled, use a good tire.

Hadn't thought about foaming, I was thinking of this, foaming is intriguing. How do they get the air bubbles out? 

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

Hadn't thought about foaming, I was thinking of this, foaming is intriguing. How do they get the air bubbles out? 

They pump it in the valve stem and they drill a hole opposite side of the tire . Then they put a nail in the hole once filled until it dries

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bitty said:

They pump it in the valve stem and they drill a hole opposite side of the tire . Then they put a nail in the hole once filled until it dries

I think they do three to four vent holes per tire on mine.

• Like 1

Zimmerman's sells a ton of bkt but I don't think they put them on skid loaders.  Those look like my last skid loader tires I changed out.  I think they sold me the muddy buddies last year.  I'll have to look.  On a side note my machine is much lighter/reduced lift capacity.  Hard to compare...

They sold carlisle ultra guards.  I'm only about 300 hours in but they look about new yet 

• Like 1

Last batch of new skidloader tires  I got,one separated before the tread showed much wear.I now get used or replaced tires of JLG lifts.I live close to where they build them and refurbish the rentals and government returns. $75 12 16.5s isn't bad and they as long as new ones or longer. 

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

They sold carlisle ultra guards.  I'm only about 300 hours in but they look about new yet 

We had trouble with those a few years ago. Think it was Galaxy, Carlisle, BKT that was what we ran most recently. At first I thought it was something we were doing but other customers were having issues also

On 9/4/2021 at 10:53 PM, mmi said:

by fieat  of your fabulous shadow govt and  save china kill USA crowd, tires are biodegradable

here the koolaid drinking slurps of inspection will not pass a 5K mi tire if 4-6 yrs old with mFG warranty (useless) of 7 yrs

Yes these morons don't realize that going through more tires is harder on the environment.

The tire companies manufacturing in the the US just play along they know they will sell more.

Last set of HP tires I bought were made of a soy blend.    

11 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Yes these morons don't realize that going through more tires is harder on the environment.

The tire companies manufacturing in the the US just play along they know they will sell more.

Last set of HP tires I bought were made of a soy blend.    

Porcupines chew on those more? 

Michelin will guarantee the casing on their Bibsteel tires to be good for recapping.  The Bibsteels on our 70XT have 1,500 hours on them and look like they will last 5,000+, I wouldn't consider any other tire.  Our tire dealer has had several sets of Bobsteels recapped with very good results.

• Like 1