Pressing cider! IH pictures!

vtfireman85

I rebuilt all the wood parts of my cider press, painted up the metal parts, (IH red of course) we did 3 5 gallon pails of apples. Got 4 gallons of cider! Didn't plan very well, scrounging for containers 😂. I have 3 intermediate press blocks, and then the big one. I need to create a better stand, this was impromptu. 

3613BB1F-ACCA-4C72-B6CA-FE52BBFA30BB.jpeg

39F770E7-6D7D-4139-9851-3F1C9630916B.jpeg

8BEE20AB-E173-4D06-A76C-0308E86531E8.jpeg

AAEE3D1F-3057-4F84-9E68-D270B46273CB.jpeg

392547B9-4EC5-40DF-B056-1DAB8C19CC8A.jpeg

EE166723-3910-42AD-B20A-2FF2F24E3CD5.jpeg

E7F24A61-679E-4F67-9D25-03483967900D.jpeg

E71AB588-46FD-4F67-8408-1D1E4F65A526.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Hard to tell but the pictures with the Mrs grinding apples have an M in the background.. and if course the 385, served as an orchard ladder for picking, and a wash station 😉

• Like 1

That process and equipment is super cool!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, fputnamjr said:

That process and equipment is super cool!

I bought the press last year tore it all apart because it just kind of grossed me out, new wood, which i used mineral oil to treat, hot water pressure washed everything, i need to come up with a wooden handle… the PVC didn't work great. 

2 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Top crank, side crank, electric crank?

I'd putt'em in a box and drive over with my tractor...........

Seems like a old square baler plunger would work to repurpose as a cider press 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

What can a guy expect to pay for one of those?  Im looking for one.  A usable one. 

I think i gave 5-600, not 100 percent sure, a new one just about like it was around 1000

https://happyvalleyranch.com

1 hour ago, bitty said:

1 hour ago, bitty said:

12 ton bearing press would be sweet 

We built a cider press in the ag shop when I was in high school.  The teacher was pretty talented and he welded together a stainless cutter for the radial arm saw.  It had a stainless chute and would grind apples as fast as two people could drop them in.  We just used a hydraulic jack to push a plate down for the press.  A tarp was suspended from the stake pockets of a pickup box and the tree was shaken to gather apples.  We had it down to a science and sold quite a few gallons of cider and no lawsuits for food poisoning.  I did some experimenting and came up with some pretty good hard cider too.

• Like 3

Yikes for 600 you could come pretty close to making your own. I know I got a catalog from a metal place one time with acme threaded rod like that for now very much money. Of course the time to make it would be one thing. And coming up with something to grind up apples might take some pondering. 

Anyone ever experience the black hands thing? Mine look like I’ve been cleaning chimneys or something. Won’t come clean, actually seem to get darker as the day goes on...maybe I am changing.. nevermind. 

I always thought that’s what I need to make true corn squeezing. I have heard they put jugs at the bottom of the silo with a corn cob for a cork/filter and it was the best stuff you ever had. I always wanted to try it but everyone has gone bunkers and I don’t have time. 

59 minutes ago, augercreek said:

Buy a garbage disposer for grinding. If you freeze the apples first then thaw you'll get nice clear juice.

Brilliant! They pass through ok?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Anyone ever experience the black hands thing?

Try washing with lemon juice.

You might want to get some food grade buckets for the next batch I doubt those HD buckets are 

5 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Try washing with lemon juice.

You might want to get some food grade buckets for the next batch I doubt those HD buckets are 

I know, TSC buckets are the same MFR and are food grade. Considering how little time it is in the buckets I wasn’t too concerned, i mean we gather sap with those, but i am going  to get some next time i am in the city.