Radio installation guide

Sledgehammer

I picked this up at HCOP also. Had never seen anything like it. I know there was a thread a while back about radio installation in an 86 series. This is dated 6-80 so it would be in that timeframe. If you need to know how a CB radio should be installed in your 1086, just let me know 😊

(it has pictures so I can understand it 😉)

B4C62984-E5A9-4125-B045-44C5562C56AB.jpeg

• Like 6

On 9/3/2021 at 10:06 AM, Sledgehammer said:

I picked this up at HCOP also. Had never seen anything like it. I know there was a thread a while back about radio installation in an 86 series. This is dated 6-80 so it would be in that timeframe. If you need to know how a CB radio should be installed in your 1086, just let me know 😊

(it has pictures so I can understand it 😉)

B4C62984-E5A9-4125-B045-44C5562C56AB.jpeg

Does it have a diagram showing 4 prong connector that the am fm radios plug into and what each prong controls?

12 minutes ago, tractorholic said:

Does it have a diagram showing 4 prong connector that the am fm radios plug into and what each prong controls?

I will try and look when I get home.  Probably be tomorrow 

On 9/4/2021 at 3:30 PM, tractorholic said:

It shows routing and the plug but no schematics to show what each wire actually does. Sorry

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It shows routing and the plug but no schematics to show what each wire actually does. Sorry

Ok. Thanks. I will probably get it figured out. But Im curious what does it say about installing a cb in a 1086. I know my 5288 has a hole in the center of the cab lid. I assume thats for a cb antenna. Just curious since you mentioned it in your original post.

14 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Ok. Thanks. I will probably get it figured out. But Im curious what does it say about installing a cb in a 1086. I know my 5288 has a hole in the center of the cab lid. I assume thats for a cb antenna. Just curious since you mentioned it in your original post.

Looks like the factory setup was an Am/FM CB all in one?  Just talks about location of microphone and where to drill holes. There are numbered written directions that are in the front of the manual. Pics in the back. 

BA6E9E41-3BE1-4946-BB4F-A5D85B27F946.jpeg

39263F7F-4719-4E40-9DC5-AFA3EEA28C66.jpeg

Harness from an 88 series tractor, but I would assume very close to the 86 as well.

Brown is power from the spade.

Yellow is ground.

Black is left speaker

Green is right speaker.

The radios are marked on the back where the harness plugs in.

There is also an inline fuse. 

A 3 prong plug which has all 4 colors in it as well I think for CB option.

IMG_20210906_163616706.thumb.jpg.9cd03c7a0c500d44118759cbd50aaa6c.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

Not sure if my pictures helped??

Yes it does. Thanks. Mine is butchered up from someone putting an aftermarket radio in it. Where did you get that harness? Id like to just put one in it that plugs into the original harness from rei or shoup.

I could fix the harness in my 5288 but I don't care to have all the splices on there that it would take.

11 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Yes it does. Thanks. Mine is butchered up from someone putting an aftermarket radio in it. Where did you get that harness? Id like to just put one in it that plugs into the original harness from rei or shoup.

I could fix the harness in my 5288 but I don't care to have all the splices on there that it would take.

I am fairly certain IHC5488 gets his harnesses from http://www.porchelectric.com/

One of the promo films I have on the 86’s from 1976 shows a CB radio in the cab. Thought that was neat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

I'd like to see the original cb am/fm radio. Fix up our red power 1586 with it.

I’ve never seen a factory CB setup in one. It would be interesting. 

Were 8-track players a typical option on these? I was messing around with the radio one day and the face flipped in and up, I'm assuming it's 8-track based on the timeframe?

56 minutes ago, IH766 said:

Were 8-track players a typical option on these? I was messing around with the radio one day and the face flipped in and up, I'm assuming it's 8-track based on the timeframe?

8 tracks were available in the 86 series, started fading out in the 88 series due to the cassette tape player.  🤣🤣

you guys need to upgrade to the bluedenture radios they are nice to have - no static and can stream your favorite stuff or listen to many other options from the interwebs 

easy to upgrade radios i would highly recommend taking the roof off and doing it from there 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IH766 said:

Yes, as was mentioned. Goes in the face area where you tune in the station for the radio. 

B579276F-DF34-4258-82CB-3EB84BEA3F6B.jpeg

Our 1486 has the 8 track....used to be some Elvis 8 tracks that were in the cab, but they got so dusty nothing worked after a while and they got pitched.   I remember trying to listen to them 20 years ago with only so so luck.....