utilizing a mono direction hammer hydraulic circuit for a thumb?

brought home a new machine today, it has pilot controls and plumbing to the top of the dipper, the button for the aux hydraulics only works one way, kind of weighing options here, but we want a hydraulic thumb for 1 is the flow from hammer going to high volume or pressure for a thumb? can some sort of electric solenoid valve be used to reverse flow to a thumb? 

assuming the hammer circuit uses a single section in the hoe valve bank is it practical to replace that section with a different section suitable for a thumb? 

would it be more practical to use a diverter to divert the extendable dipper instead of messing with the hammer circuit at all? 

open to suggestions here, haven't really gotten into the machine, its actually still on the trailer, but a thumb is in the very near future. 

machine is a 2014 Case 580SN

I find it odd they’d put a single acting valve in there. Wonder if it’s possible to just upgrade the joystick if the valve is already capable?  I could see possibly having the single position switch to prevent a operator trying to run it backwards.  Never had anything to do with those machines or the hammer so I’m just thinking out loud here.  Don’t see why you couldn’t change the valve out if all else fails. Thumb certainly is handy. Some curse them when they’re digging but in our situation I wouldn’t be without one. 

7 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I find it odd they’d put a single acting valve in there. Wonder if it’s possible to just upgrade the joystick if the valve is already capable?  I could see possibly having the single position switch to prevent a operator trying to run it backwards.  Never had anything to do with those machines or the hammer so I’m just thinking out loud here.  Don’t see why you couldn’t change the valve out if all else fails. Thumb certainly is handy. Some curse them when they’re digging but in our situation I wouldn’t be without one. 

They get more use for thumb duty than they do for digging duty around here. That’s a big reason the JD 410 went down the road (yay!) was because the male extendable dipper did not accommodate a hydraulic thumb. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 10:21 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

far as I can tell you had the option of a one way hammer circuit or a hammer/thumb circuit, if you had that you had 2 buttons and a rocker switch to select circuit flow. presumably that was more expensive. 

There should be a valve to switch it from One way to two way on some of the older machines they were only plumbed for one way but can be converted to two way if you can give me the make and model of the machine I can talk you through it we install thumbs all the time

2 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

depending on the make most machines have the valve for two way flow mounted near the boom foot it may not have the pilot side tied in but that is easy to connect and the switch can be changed on the joy stick

48 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

depending on the make most machines have the valve for two way flow mounted near the boom foot it may not have the pilot side tied in but that is easy to connect and the switch can be changed on the joy stick

You think the valve is the same but missing some pieces? That sure would be cool, i called 2 dealers and got the famous “uhhhhh, i am going to have to get back to you “ which they never did. Staring at the parts manual there are so many variations it blows my mind. What little i have been into this machine it seems the wiring harness is the same regardless of options, for every blank switch cover or blanked off gauge there is a corresponding plug dangling. 

4 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

hope it is not Chinese made !!

😂😂😂 i will call you! Thank you! It is on a job right now and i cannot look at it, no service there either. It is a 2014 CASE 580SN tier4a. 
says it is made in Iowa.