856 leaks

So my cousin is looking at an 856 and there is a leak coming out of the seam in the cover to the left of the breather tube. I have limited info as he has been texting me about it but it is leaking pretty steadily underneath the front end under the pulley area. We are wondering what it is, how serious it is A8242B5D-A62E-4CC3-B09C-4D7177318FEF.thumb.jpeg.6bfe038a1643b4c678b65abfe78dad0d.jpeg how much of a job to fix it

Edited by FarmallFan
Improved topic title

2 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

see if the bolt is tight.....

if that doesn't help it enough then remove and re gasket/sealer........

I can't get the video he sent me to load but that is just seeping a little I guess. The video would show that it has a constant dripping and coming out the front of that plate that bolts on underneath the front end. This is a picture of the video. 93FE46C9-E54E-4196-89C0-302BE4CB8BC8.thumb.png.e8f2137b42485476600184e2de67c4c6.png

7 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

I thought you were pointing towards that one bolt.....

It sounds like it's just wet around there but the bad leak is dripping down below onto that guard pan that bolts on underneath the subframe. 

2 minutes ago, mrfred54 said:

Engine oil or hyd. fluid???.  Steering lines right there, if there not leaking than probably front crankshaft seal.

It sounds like engine oil. I asked him the same question. Would the power steering be leaking if it was just sitting and running? He would also like to know what it would cost (ball park) to have the crankshaft seal replaced by a mechanic. 

7 minutes ago, mrfred54 said:

Steering lines can leak  just sitting.   Front steering bolster needs to be removed. Not a bad job with cherry picker. Probably bout a six hour job

He's almost positive it's engine oil. It leaks steadily too

7 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

It's most likely leaking from the elbow here and dripping down. Most common leak on a D407. It very well could be the leaking from the gasket but not very common. 

Screenshot_20210902-211155_Samsung Internet.jpg

He said they recently fixed that with an o ring and sealer. I really wish I could get the video to upload so you can see where and how much is dripped out underneath 

59 minutes ago, Farmer in training said:

I can't get the video he sent me to load but that is just seeping a little I guess. The video would show that it has a constant dripping and coming out the front of that plate that bolts on underneath the front end. This is a picture of the video. 93FE46C9-E54E-4196-89C0-302BE4CB8BC8.thumb.png.e8f2137b42485476600184e2de67c4c6.png

The oil is dripping out of the plate on the upper left of this picture. Almost looks to be squirting at times which I'm thinking may be from the fan blowing on it under there

4 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

......tell him to just just buy it. 

The potential cost of fixing an oil leak doesn’t seem like it should be that big of a issue, if he wants an 856. Imo. 

Yes right. It's not like they make them anymore. Just wants to figure out what a fair offer would be

• FarmallFan changed the title to 856 leaks
  • 4 weeks later...

This leak did end up being that gasket with the yellow line pointing to it that I originally thought it was. There was about 3 inches of gasket missing so the whole front end and frame rail had to come off. Did the front seal while it was off too.