This is starting to get under my skin guys!!!

MTO

All the Sherman parts were interchangeable.  That was their strength.  The parts for the German tanks were all hand fitted, so they were not interchangeable.  US manufacturing made the difference.   The tanks still sucked, but they were easy to service!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, E160BHM said:

I recently read a book “Death Traps” by Belton Y. Cooper about his experiences in the 3rd Armored Division in WWII.  He was an officer involved in the recovery and repair of tanks.  The title refers to the vulnerabilities of the US tanks.  He also mentions the German’s lack of parts to repair their tanks.  A good read.

Thanks for the read, my old man drove a bren gun carrier during the war and he never mentioned any propensity of track failure and the tread here just made me wonder, we've all seen movies that show stranded tanks fighting it out (fury, patton, etc) but in real life with not as much technology what were the stats, the newer tanks appear to have rubber tracks for cleats also and does that make for a more secure ride.

20 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

a full can of brake clean rolled off the table and broke the spray nozzle today

I really needed one more squirt........

Caught my apprentice crushing a can of brakleen last week.

I asked WTH are you doing.

Said his SHOP teacher showed them to do that to get the last little bit out!

Told him don`t EVER do that again in this shop.

He dropped his head and threw it in the garbage can.

3 hours ago, MTO said:

Caught my apprentice crushing a can of brakleen last week.

I asked WTH are you doing.

Said his SHOP teacher showed them to do that to get the last little bit out!

Told him don`t EVER do that again in this shop.

He dropped his head and threw it in the garbage can.

Why not? I do that with all my empty aerosol can, big boot holding it and a claw hammer, not for draining just for safety.

Just now, lightninboy said:

Don't you keep a couple nozzles from empty cans in case you need one?

The stem is part of the can in some cases and when that breaks off , it’s over. Blaster is one of them. I cut the can open and empty it into a squirt can.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 4:45 PM, Dasnake said:

That opens a question for me, during the war how often did tanks, half traks and carriers lose their tracks? And when that happened was there a quick way to replace them? Were they serviced at all? Was there one member who was in charge of care and concern? It seems to me it was an indispensable part of movement and mud, rocks and other crap can cause breakdowns.

when I was in we would see a lost track 3 or 4 times a year when you loose a track you loose all control  it's not fun at road speed saw an M-60 that lost one and went through a farmers barn Killed the farmer and his daughter Sad. I have seen a few like that but nothing the driver can do but cut the power and hang on

Think about being on a mountain road and you through a track Patten lost a few like that in Italy 

• Thanks 1