junk equipment saves the day.

Mudfly

I was over finishing up the last hay of the season for my FIL yesterday.  I was using his big baler (New Holland BR7060) and with about 2 bales to go I popped the shear pin.  The hay was really dry so there was some build up behind the belts and it popped the shear pin when I was restarting the PTO after dropping a bale.  Anyway, I noticed that there were NO new shear pins on the baler and I was a couple of miles from the main farm with only the baler tractor.  I decided to go check out an old relic New Holland square baler (model 68 maybe) that is in a fence row to see if I could rob the shear pin out of that.  It was a 1/4 mile walk.  When I got there I was going to pull the shear pin out of the flywheel, but decided to check the tool box.  Sure enough there was a plastic bottle LOADED with spare shear pins.  Maybe 20 or 25 brand new, NH stamped shear pins.  And since they were in the plastic bottle they were in pristine condition.

AWESOME find.

I grabbed about 5 of them, installed 1, put the other 4 in the holder on the baler tongue, and made a mental note to go back and scavenge the tool boxes on all the old relics when I have more time this fall.

Amazing that ag companies have not changed the shear pin for something like 60+ years.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

popped the shear pin when I was restarting the PTO after dropping a bale.

Glad you lucked out with the shear pin honey hole. 

Do you shut off the baler between every bale?

2 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Glad you lucked out with the shear pin honey hole. 

Do you shut off the baler between every bale?

Usually I do, but I don't round bale much.  Not that my FIL makes that many bales.  I made all of 10 bales yesterday, so its not a big deal.  In this instance I feel that if I would have left the PTO on it probably would have popped the shear pin anyway when the belts tightened and door closed.

• Like 2

That’s a win right there.  And the balers are both Red, so, 100% legit to be posted in this section. I’d say anyway. We rented 90 acres of land that was 7 miles off the farm when I was growing up. Very old gentleman owned the place. Had a small shed type garage with some rusted junk in it. And a nice M and a TD6 that were both settling into the dirt floor. Few items in there really helped us out a few times.

Not familiar with the New Holland balers, but you had to shut down the pto with the Vermeer 605F between bales or the belts would skin the twine off the bale as there was no kicker.  Baler design and function has come a long way since!

20 minutes ago, axial_al said:

Not familiar with the New Holland balers, but you had to shut down the pto with the Vermeer 605F between bales or the belts would skin the twine off the bale as there was no kicker.  Baler design and function has come a long way since!

I guess since Sandhiller mentioned it, I assumed that you actually can leave the PTO on while dumping the bale.  I have never done that, but as I mentioned I don't round bale much.  Looking at the main gear box it appears that there might be a clutch there, but thinking about it, I guess I've never tried it.

6 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Amazing that ag companies have not changed the shear pin for something like 60+ years.

My 1981 model 851 baler used a shear bolt unique to the round balers back then and the part number has changed at least once.  My 1991  855 uses the 46520 shear bolt that dates back to the 70's or before for square balers and the number has not changed.

3 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

In my operators manual for mine (cih rb444) it said not to open or close gate without it running. The bale continues to spin until it pops out. 

That seams odd since you have to open and close the gate to change the bale tension.  That I do know.

it’s entirely possible that I need to leave it running, just not what I was told to do.

44 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

That seams odd since you have to open and close the gate to change the bale tension.  That I do know.

it’s entirely possible that I need to leave it running, just not what I was told to do.

I’m wondering if you left it running that the loose belts would flop around enough to knock any hay chaff out, thus eliminating the problem for you?

• Like 1

consult particular manual ,but wet bales need to spin and tension is relieved by opening the door which aides in getting all the chaff to fall out

real dry/wet /short there is ALOT

with the 8xx for dry we never shut of OR stopped the tractor,catcher was on duty