Ih 315 corn head

MinnesotaFarmall

Local guy is giving me his 315 for less than scrap value. Machine is to run, as he said it got very little use and has a small grain dummy head with it. Just out of curiosity before I indulge into this "experiment", what model of corn head would fit this? Did they make a narrow row model for the combine?

If I remember correctly,  315 was a wide throat. My dad had a model #93 and I believe it was a @228 head, 2 row wide and a narrow row would be a #327.  Someone else might have better information. I do remember they were a pain to switch.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Only thing I did not like about the corn head for a 315 is it used a series of paddles to throw the corn up to the cylinder. Threw a granite rock in once and it took several days to get the bars, cylinder etc. straight. Decent capacity on the flat but running a side hill the sieves were too short to go any speed called fast. I liked mine once I got the unloading auger to work good.

Have a 315 here. And a friend has 2 others. The 2 row wide head is a 227. Has to be for a 203 or 315 only as the throat is different. 

IH also had, 3 row wide and 3 row narrow heads for it. They were both a 327 head. My combine came with the 3RN, then I bought the 2RW for it. 

SDman posted a couple pics. The 1st one is when we got the combine. It is a gas, hydro machine that came with the 3RN head, 327NW. I wanted to use the combine during our corn picking weekend, so I found the 2RW 227 head. 

Below, when I had just finished up the last of the "picker corn". 

A 3RW head on a 315 open station I saw in a private collection this summer.

20201107_164217.thumb.jpg.95b7449eeccc6d2777bddadc1b2b1b1b.jpg20210701_144938.thumb.jpg.f5688fcd18c9d3722dc7a36962ad83bc.jpg

20201107_164217.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

SDman posted a couple pics. The 1st one is when we got the combine. It is a gas, hydro machine that came with the 3RN head, 327NW. I wanted to use the combine during our corn picking weekend, so I found the 2RW 227 head. 

Below, when I had just finished up the last of the "picker corn". 

A 3RW head on a 315 open station I saw in a private collection this summer.

20201107_164217.thumb.jpg.95b7449eeccc6d2777bddadc1b2b1b1b.jpg20210701_144938.thumb.jpg.f5688fcd18c9d3722dc7a36962ad83bc.jpg

20201107_164217.jpg

I would think an open station would really suck.. I'd rather thrash oats by hand that sit in a cloud of dust all day that follows you around ha.

It will do the oats better than it will do the corn with the 40 or so inch wide cylinder. I could pace a G gleaner on the same swaths. Corn on the flat it will do just fine . The threshing body does real well with the open bottom walkers and the pan underneath. We ran 130 acres a year in small grains between the G and the 315. Corn we would pick until the cribs were full on 3-400 acres and combine the rest with the Gleaner doing most of the work because of 4 rows but have picked 80 or more with the 315 when we had issues with keeping the Allis motor running. All I had to do was stay ahead of the 250 bu. batch dryer and 3-4 batches a day. It was a lot cheaper to run than the Gleaner with fuel.

• 1 year later...

Dad used a used 203, then a new 205 to combine oats, beans and corn at home.  Usually had 20 acres of oats, about 40-50 acres of beans - plus some custom beans, then did about another 60 - 80 acres of corn each year.  Eventually went to a 715.  The 203/205 had two row wide heads, i believe they were 227s.  Both had 13' grain platforms.  Both did a good job on oats and beans.  Dad did quite a bit of custom beans in the fall.  You weren't going to combine a lot of corn with a 203/205, but it got the job done without a lot of problems.  We still picked a lot of ear corn to feed to the dairy and beef cattle.

Bill

On 9/28/2022 at 10:09 PM, Dan Robinson said:

Any more word on the 315??

Lol you know it's still sitting in his shed. 

On edit: I still haven't been able to get some time. He still harasses me about it, but light heartely. We are good friends, and he's in no rush, obviously.

1 hour ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Lol you know it's still sitting in his shed. 

On edit: I still haven't been able to get some time. He still harasses me about it, but light heartely. We are good friends, and he's in no rush, obviously.

I figured that's what happened lol. 

Hoping to get mine out of the shed this weekend to do a little work on it for the end of the month. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Anyone have any info on that Melroe head attachment? It kind of looks cobbled together but after some searching it looks like that's the way they are mounted. 

Melroe pickup attachment. Back when everyone windrowed their small grains for harvest, there were probably more Melroe pickups mounted on "dummy heads" than all other pickup brands combined. "Dummy heads" are what everyone called a small header for small grain that had no equipment for straight cutting(ie, no reel or reel drive, no sickle or sickle drive, no guards, etc). Melroe made a pickup that would fit on virtually every company's header with little modification needed to the header. Back in the 1970s/early 1980s, every implement dealer around here that sold small grain combines was a Melroe dealer as pickup headers were a big part of their combine/header business. 

Also, Melroe is the original parent company for Bobcat skidsteer loaders. Based in Gwinner, North Dakota.

• Like 1

We have a Melroe pickup head up on one of our 914 combines and a factory IH on the other, and at least on our farm the IH head is far superior to the Melroe in every way.

13 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Anyone have any info on that Melroe head attachment? It kind of looks cobbled together but after some searching it looks like that's the way they are mounted. 

I may have some sales literature somewhere.  I'll try but can't guarantee I will be able to find it.

When I was a young kid my Dad had a Melroe pickup mounted onto a Gleaner dummy head.  He combined a lot of oats using that on an old Gleaner F.

• Like 1