Ih swather head interchange

acem

I still have it in my head that I want an old self propelled swather to mow hay with. I've never been around them much so I've got more questions than knowledge. They will work on my mid sized farm ranch but most everywhere else round here is too hilly for that big a header.

With my budget I'm probably just being a  fool! 

I've seen 5000, 4000, 375 and 275 ih swathers on big iron, auctiontime, etc.

What heads interchange between what swathers?

Some other brands of swather have heads that look very similar.

Do any other brands of swather heads interchange?

Thx-Ace 

I am relatively sure NH and JD headers where swapped with each other in the 1980's. I never saw the machines, but it was from reliable persons (more than one person) . The one doing the swapping was a custom hay maker that ran a lot of machines. I believe it was NH heads on JD swather "tractors".

Have not looked at swathers with the idea of changing heads.  But would guess within brands might be as hard as between brands.

If you mean entire cutting table? Draper or auger head? No they will not interchange between different color or flavors. Even a 275 ihc won’t go onto a 4000 or 5000. Maybe a John Deere and Massey or some other makes will swap but most were specific fit to machine. If you mean head like we describe it the sickle drive or wobble box.they are the same with different bottom arms from JD to IHC.

I mean the entire cutting table or header. Specifically I'm interested in heads for cutting hay.

I've seen an ih 375 on auctiontime with a head from a 4000/5000 on it. I don't know how involved it is changing the heads.

Swathers are rare round here so I don't really have much to work with other than the internet. The net is great but it has its limitations. I know of one swather in my county... not many mower conditioners either. Lots of disk mowers and tedders.

Thx-Ace 

I should of stated I believe fabrication of was involved but I never saw the creature. I think NH was still the only twin knife drive yet when this was done. This would of been hay heads may not of run conditioner if they just cut grain hay. We have time to let it lay.