PAUL WALLEM's new book, IH Successes and Industry Firsts

Just saw it advertised on This Week in Agribusiness, Max Armstrong talked up Paul's new book on 8-21.  I have to admit I liked both of Paul's books,  they're more like a collection of short stories, and you can read them cover to cover in about 2 hours, maybe a bit longer.  But I must say I liked Paul's new book much better than his first.

He explains many reasons why IH was leading Edge in most of the industries and markets they competed in. Thing I enjoyed a lot was reading about all the world wide travelling Paul did for IH. I did quite a bit of business traveling during my work career, and living out of a suitcase for longer than a couple days is NO FUN, and some of Paul's trips were a month or more long.

Chapter 14, about when Paul bought the IH Ag and truck dealership in Belvidere, Ill was possibly my favorite chapter.  There's a lot of interesting stories in that chapter.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Just saw it advertised on This Week in Agribusiness, Max Armstrong talked up Paul's new book on 8-21.  I have to admit I liked both of Paul's books,  they're more like a collection of short stories, and you can read them cover to cover in about 2 hours, maybe a bit longer.  But I must say I liked Paul's new book much better than his first.

He explains many reasons why IH was leading Edge in most of the industries and markets they competed in. Thing I enjoyed a lot was reading about all the world wide travelling Paul did for IH. I did quite a bit of business traveling during my work career, and living out of a suitcase for longer than a couple days is NO FUN, and some of Paul's trips were a month or more long.

Chapter 14, about when Paul bought the IH Ag and truck dealership in Belvidere, Ill was possibly my favorite chapter.  There's a lot of interesting stories in that chapter.

I know publishers are funny about copyrighted material but they do often allow brief synopsis.  Any chance of giving brief accounts?  When books are 100 plus dollars it is hard to buy everything that a person may like.  I still have not bought the corn picker book that came out a few years ago and am probably SOL due to the small quantity published.  As to dealers we had a couple that were former corporate people during the 1970's.  They often made mention of the disharmony in Chicago at IH headquarters.  

Buddy bought a copy at HCOP. He was thumbing through it that night tossing out facts. Pretty interesting I thought. 

4 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Sooo.... when is your book coming out?  I like reading the stories you’ve posted on here!

• Like 8

12 hours ago, 766 Man said:

I know publishers are funny about copyrighted material but they do often allow brief synopsis.  Any chance of giving brief accounts?  When books are 100 plus dollars it is hard to buy everything that a person may like.  I still have not bought the corn picker book that came out a few years ago and am probably SOL due to the small quantity published.  As to dealers we had a couple that were former corporate people during the 1970's.  They often made mention of the disharmony in Chicago at IH headquarters.  

I bought my copy from 3 Point Ink, publisher of Heritage Iron magazine and Oliver Heritage magazine,  I suscribed to Heritage Iron at the same time, Paul's book was $28. There's a lot of color photos in the book.  I know from comments friends like Ken Updike make that for the time expended writing and compiling everything needed to publish a book, you don't even make $1.00/hour. I really appreciate all the effort Ken, Guy Fay, Hank Will, Paul, and all the other authors of the books I've accumulated over the years.

I also have the Corn Picker Book, My Sister actually met Bob Johnson and his wife at a corn picking day around Rochelle, Illinois about 6-8 years ago. The New Corn Picker Book is actually two volumns, and $150. My book is from the first printing, one volumn. I also bought his Corn Crib Book, I've got a real good start on reading that book, $60, the crib on the farm I grew up on was built in the 1930's or '40's,  it's pretty HUGE and well equipped compared to most. All concrete floor, Kewanee inside bucket elevator, over-head small grain bins over the driveway for oats, soy beans, shell corn. Crib could hold over 8000 bushel of ear corn. And most years it was ALL ground with a Kneodler Burr mill into cattle feed. Crib had a platform scale in back half of the driveway, probably used to weigh wagons or livestock, but as our wagons kept getting bigger I got MUCH better backing wagons up to the drag conveyor recessed under the floor that fed the bucket elevator. Dad didn't want to risk loosing his new EWC/Oliver 200+ bushel wagon into the collapsed floor of the scale pit.

I've got a lot of C.H. Wendell's books too, one I don't have but would like is on Allis-Chalmers, I've looked at my buddy's copy, but would like my own.

I had to laugh,  I had MY copy of Wendell's 150 Years of IHC about a week before the Plant Manager was given HIS copy. Think I ended up with 5 copies finally, gifts from friends, family, etc. I sold one to the head administrator of IHC.Cub Cadet.COM, he was building up a nice IHC library too.

• Like 2