Deli slicer?

vtfireman85

Been thinking for a long time it would be very nice to have a deli meat slicer, we buy cheese in 5-10 lb blocks, so I could do up half a lb or so, pork roast, roast beed, etc. commercial ones are in the thousands, and I just plain don’t have room for such a thing. Any recommendations or suggestions for a decent slicer? 

The one we have at the restaurant is technically a commercial one, but smaller and I’m sure more affordable. I’m not sure what it cost, not as big of a carriage as the Hobart we had at the other place, but still does a nice job. The worst part of a slicer is you use them for 5 minutes then it takes a half hour to take them apart and clean. I would keep my eyes open for auction sales, around here at least kitchen stuff usually goes pretty cheap. I will see what brand the one I use at work is the next time I go in, it’s quite compact.

I would find a used bizerba or hobart from a restaurant that the government put out of business or a restaurant supply store.  If it runs good when you get it, it should run for the rest of your life without issue.  We have one here but I haven't used it in 10 years or so.

Unfortunately anything other than a Hobart is basically a throwaway when it breaks. 

I have been working on them for years at grocery stores and believe me Hobart is what you want,  they hold their value and they work.

A  commercial deli slicer is an expensive machine, I would look for a usable one without the self feeding or other expensive options . A used restaurant supply place would be my first stop. I cheapen out and got a  homeowners slicer, waste of $ because it doesn't work well enough to mess with.  Looks like Walmart is getting out of the slice at store concept, and they should have a large surplus sale soon, on very high end equipment.

I seem to remember from high school while working at a supermarket after school that the meat and cheese had different slicers, 

28 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

I seem to remember from high school while working at a supermarket after school that the meat and cheese had different slicers, 

Possibly more of a cross contamination thing? Our local deli’s only have one.

I bought a "Chef's Choice" model 615 after reading every review I could find. I've had it 3 years or so and it hasn't given me any problems, but I admit it doesn't get a lot of use. Definitely is handy, has saved me some $$, and slicing your own lunch meat is probably healthier than the stuff they sell.

• Like 1