Allis HD7

There is a guy that has an HD7 for sale near me. He doesn’t know much about it and says he just wants it gone. He claims it is operable. He wants $1,500 for it and says that is negotiable. Is there any way to go wrong on a deal like that? It’s Detroit powered. 
image.thumb.jpeg.87df79cfb37c5d39962b5b8dcc311e9a.jpeg

• Like 3

They have given you most of what I know about them. Out here in crawler farming country there are a few still being used. One on local craigslist for 2 weeks at $5000, includes a blade and offset disc.

So if it drives on the truck, and you want to play your set.

• Like 2

I’ve never spent more than $1K on any of mine but only one ran and i haven’t purchased in years, I’d be all over it, probably TD9 ish equal in its day, looks like a 3cyl Detroit 

• Like 2

There is likely. at least one thing that made someone say.....I think it's time to park it. It is probably in the middle some where stuck between two immovable castings with a heat treated shaft rusted solid thru the middle of it. At least you will be able to find a parts book that will show a sketchy picture of the parts you won't be able to find.  Those old Detroit's can play some funny tricks too.

The price is parts machine price so ...........

• Like 2

Buddy hooked me up with an HD9 last fall.  1954 vintage.  Only problem was one injector and the left side steering clutch is frozen.  Undercarriage was pretty new, but the tracks are on backwards.  Mine has a Baker blade, but a different model from yours.  At least with the Detroit's you can still get parts for them!  General Gear has all of the clutch parts for them and also has most of the manuals set up for free download on the bottom of the AC section.  I downloaded all of my manuals, including the Detroit manual, printed them laminated the cover and bound them.

Here is a source for Detroit parts:  https://dieselpro.com/

And another place i found some manuals to download:  https://www.tradebit.com/filesharing.php

Detroit tips on oil :   http://www.tejascoach.com/tips.html

Also Discount Hydraulic Hose out of Philly is great for custom hoses at reasonable prices.  50% of what I could get them for locally.  They saved me a lot of money on the four 1.25" lift cylinder hoses.  Good quality and very fast turn around too.  https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7KJBhDyARIsAHrAXaG3tKOpOJWl-_y6u2o0ZS2E9tvevS5Kgn7FvhLmdr8jJPvptdSBzAIaAkpeEALw_wcBIMG_20201204_135916666_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Yea, he has a lot of practical experience with Detroit's.  While a Detroit may not be the perfect dozer engine, it has the benefit of cheap, plentiful parts, which no other vintage engine can offer.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:53 PM, Rawleigh99 said:

While a Detroit may not be the perfect dozer engine,

Have you ever seen one run backwards, they can do it if you stall just right.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 6:55 PM, Rawleigh99 said:

I really like the looks of the AC rounded nose as opposed to the hard nose like mine has. A hard noses more practical, but I really like that grill

The letter series Monarchs were some of the nicest styled to me

Dave happened to my buddy once starting his 3406, sounded a bit off but he realized he had no power steering 

• Like 2

Should not be tell on myself, but had a Cat D6 9u model running backwards twice. Coast starting at noon, backed them up the hill to have more run. Did not shift the forward / reverse back to forward. Instantly had oil boil out of the air cleaner on one, giant dust cloud on the dry air cleaner one. It took me 5 to 10 seconds to figure why oil was boiling out, the second time not so long. No harm that I ever saw from the few seconds backwards. A bit longer might not of been so good.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 4:12 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

There is a guy that has an HD7 for sale near me. He doesn’t know much about it and says he just wants it gone. He claims it is operable. He wants $1,500 for it and says that is negotiable. Is there any way to go wrong on a deal like that? It’s Detroit powered. 
image.thumb.jpeg.87df79cfb37c5d39962b5b8dcc311e9a.jpeg

I called the guy about it today. He said it was his grandpa’s. He said he bought it off of the estate for $2,500 because he owned 25 acres and wanted to have it for his acreage. He told me he drove a truck for a living and is just never around and never had time to use it. He said it operates ok as far as he could tell. He sounded pretty disillusioned with owning old equipment and just wanted it gone. He said if scrap was a little higher he would just scrap it because he wasn’t having much interest in it. I wanted to take a look at it but he said he couldn’t be around until next Saturday, so I might go take a look at it then. If it works out. 

• Like 1

Price is right in my window now, it if runs and moves can’t lose

Should have made an exception for a TD25B for 3K, the one that got away

• Like 2