Big Bud Guy, That AC transmission is sure a hot topic this year!

TP from Central PA

We bought this one new in the spring of 87. Was a 84 model that sat in a wearhouse. Around 5k hours we got a kit from Everett Hunley and installed a 210 hp 8.3 Cummins. Our fuel use dropped from 10 to 7.5 an hour and it had way more power . Put many torque limiters in it along with shear the three 7/16 bolts that held the PTO shaft on throughout it's life here . . 

We would have been much better off waiting for fall of 87 and getting a 7120 ..... That would probably still be going . 

IMG_20201219_140332230.jpg

• Thanks 1

Now we have confirmation AC did develop the all conquering 18 speed not that I didn’t believe it but this is more evidence then what the AC nuts came up with on NAG which was nothing. Maybe AC didn’t want to let go of the 18 speed because they were going to “sell” it to JD🙄.   Looks like AC could have had a winner with the 9000 series.  About my only beef with AC in general is my opinion their tractors always seemed to be built a little light and the 9000 series would have solved that.  

I have to chuckle at the combine.  From what I’ve been told and some of it is sarcasm but almost every rotary combine gleaner shoved out the door back when they first started was experimental at the farmers expense.

Well, I want to know the details of this unicorn transmission.................That seems to be missing with EVERY discussion!!!   Until the history re-writers are done, it will be a hydro-mechanical that Fendt ended up buying.

That’s what is in my Cougar. 20 speeds total. 10 speed with the hi-low power shift that splits every gear. Maybe better than just a truck transmission in the early Steiger’s, but that’s about all I can say. I had an old Allis mechanic help me adjust the clutch/trans brake linkage and he said he never saw one you could shift without clashing when it was cold. Once the oil warms up on mine it shifts good, but cold it is a joke.

That last made allis was in my town, he also had a huge collection and some of the last experimental tractors, there were owned by don fanetti, he died and nephew got the collection. They had an auction on them. Don’t know where they ended up but the widow bought some. https://hagerauction.hibid.com/catalog/79891/fanetti-estate-collection/

10 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

That’s what is in my Cougar. 20 speeds total. 10 speed with the hi-low power shift that splits every gear. Maybe better than just a truck transmission in the early Steiger’s, but that’s about all I can say. I had an old Allis mechanic help me adjust the clutch/trans brake linkage and he said he never saw one you could shift without clashing when it was cold. Once the oil warms up on mine it shifts good, but cold it is a joke.

If it’s a hi-low powershift on the go, it would be better then a straight truck transmission.  The truck transmissions and the 12 speed manuals used in Versatiles worked alright for our type of farming were you left it in one gear all day long.  However my favorite transmission of that era was the Allison.  I would take one over a powershift.

The tractor in the video would probably have been an ok tillage tractor where you didn’t have to shift all the time. I don’t think it would have been a good row crop tractor with that transmission in it. It would have had more power than a 4850 Deere, but that 15 speed full power shift would have made a much better tractor for anything else than heavy tillage. In my Steiger you can’t start out in 5th gear on the high side of the transmission with the power shift in low, which would be 19th gear, and just power shift it in to 20th. Up shifting that transmission, which is not synchronized, with a clumsy cable linkage, while pulling an implement is an art form. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I just wish someone could tell me whether this 18 speed unicorn was a full powershift or a 6 spd powershift with a 3 range grind box?   All I keep hearing about all this innovation, but nobody seems to know any facts on it.

All we have to go by is a couple guys over at NAG stating the 18 speed was the 12 speed with another range added.  So that’s what I’m going by.  It seems like if do some looking around Hunley family name comes up often about all of this experimental stuff and might know the full story.  One thing is AC guys are a special group and you read the comments to the video you posted they make it sound like AC was  going to be 50 years ahead of JD and IH with the 8095

7 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

All we have to go by is a couple guys over at NAG stating the 18 speed was the 12 speed with another range added.  So that’s what I’m going by.  It seems like if do some looking around Hunley family name comes up often about all of this experimental stuff and might know the full story.  One thing is AC guys are a special group and you read the comments to the video you posted they make it sound like AC was  going to be 50 years ahead of JD and IH with the 8095

Funny thing  John Deere , IH , Case , Ford and White all had power shift or partial poweshifts in the pipeline at the time. Allis did have the 8 speed power shift in the earlier models maybe it was a freshened up model of that. John Deere in the 50 series added more clutch packs on the flywheel to get a 15 speed out of the 8 speed design. IHC had the magnum transmission working somewhat in 85. Case had a update to their power shift that would have added more speeds. Ford had the Funk and white had the 3 speed over ,under. As it worked out JD, Ford and Agco went to the funk design. Case dropped their power shift and went with IH 18 speed. The Komatsu and trans weren’t going to save allis. Just like the 18 speed trans in the magnum wasn’t going to save IH . It took a combination of stuff to make those late 80s tractor popular. One tractor that gets overlooked as a durable unit is the Genesis 8970 Ford new Holland. If they wouldn’t have changed company names a few times those blue tractors with the Ford engine were powerful and reliable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it wasn't a full ps it would have been way behind the Magnum in many ways. From what the video indicates the 7150 would be as much as they were proposing to build in a pumpkin tractor. The 8050 we had lacked power compared to our 1586 and the AC still had major issues with the torque limiter clutch. Unless the 4w305  transmission was much better per designed HP I think this would have been a flop in the end

13 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Special...  Pre tell 

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Well, the minions are not making out well on Agtalk this go round...............:lol:  I just want a answer!

Like I said they are special.  I like how one them in response bashes Steiger because of my handle.  Like that keeps me awake at night.

I actually would like an answer, that is why I am hammering it so hard..................I find what these companies were working on fascinating.  Maybe it was something special, but you would think you could get something about it, other than, "They had it".................

Just now, Youngred2000 said:

Good to know I'm special 

Tell us more then...............we are waiting...............I was called a "Simple Guy" just looking for a answer.................Not sure what the problem is, if they can tout this transmission you would think a simple question could get a simple answer.  

Just now, TP from Central PA said:

Tell us more then...............we are waiting...............I was called a "Simple Guy" just looking for a answer.................Not sure what the problem is, if they can tout this transmission you would think a simple question could get a simple answer.  

He said AC people are special so I guess in his hart of harts I am special then.