interesting 1086

hagan

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/210901/item/IN9801/1977-International-1086-Ag_Tractor-Tractor-Iowa  I see this on Purple wave. surely someone is not planning on farming with this. Looks like a pretty light front end. Size of the driveshaft

I THINK that's one of those early "FWD" axles that doesn't have planetaries in the hubs. They're not real strong if my IH-history-fu is up to date. @Ed Leaman is the resident expert on them.

Someone was farming with it. Presumably for most of the 44 years it's been around.

If it still runs and drives, surely someone will want to put it to work. That thing is field ready by Western New York standards.

Seriously? They painted it and put new decals on it. But couldn't be bothered to at least come up with a fuel cap for the tank. So we run it around looking like a Molotov cocktail. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Seriously? They painted it and put new decals on it. But couldn't be bothered to at least come up with a fuel cap for the tank. So we run it around looking like a Molotov cocktail. 

They ran out of money after the decals 

• Haha 1

Looks like the paint will wash off with the first pressure wash.

No thanks, bought a pile of tractors of all flavors in my day and never did or would buy one with a paint job like that.Made me a leary and if I couldn't be comfortable using it on my farm how could the guy the guy I was selling to use it or how could I even present it to him without apologizing for it. Rather buy a dented up old war horse then a painted up pig.

43 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Your standards are way too high. It has both doors. Total creampuff.

Well that's pretty good and I know you're joking lol.But no my standards aren't that high,actually my bar is pretty low and realistic,just different standards. But yes since I was once a pedal to the metal dairy farmer I understand fully.

40 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Your standards are way too high. It has both doors. Total creampuff.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had a leaking R12 to R134 adapter leaking on the high side on my 5288, so Thursday in the heat we emptied it, changed that, changed out the original dryer, cleaned everything, pulled a deep vacuum on it, and charged it.  My oldest was handing me up tools to pull the lid off the roof and said half jokingly, "If you were like so-and-so you could save all this time and money and take the doors off and the back window out"..................I took my 3/4" Mac wrench and lobbed it at him.  After he came out from cover he wanted to know why I threw a wrench at him, because I never throw tools.............I told him we do not and will not operate like that here!  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

It's at 13500 now? 

wonder if that is a honest bid or a runner bid

I don't know any thing bout this tractor or its history, but if the axle functions I bet she goes a little ways yet. That axle is more user friendly than the Coleman's. Had a locking front differential and is actually pretty strong as far as weight carrying ability ; The weakness was in the transfer case and the cause of most of its "bad" name came from lack of understanding how to treat and grease them. And once Elwood went onto the planetary axles these got left behind. Elwood tried to address the turning radius found in the Factory equipped colemans by shortening up the wheel base on these.  Because the FWD truck axle has a center drive pinion, driveshaft angle and shaft clearance problems became a problem, This led to the small diameter drive shaft which is actually a one piece solid steel shaft to get past the bell housing with only a little bit of "rubbing".  Most times the tires used on the front axle to make the inter axle ratio correct made for a nose in the air, which was a further accented by the short wheel base that not only looked odd but will make for wheel hop and eventually broken transfer cases.  We found that by moving the axle front about 8 inches, lowering the pivot pin down several inches closer to the axle and putting a 2 piece drive shaft in with a carrier bearing that it becomes a usable axle. And while its costly; a custom built steel transfer case housing along with a torque rod out to the low spot of the case will help the transfer case survive. The problem today is availability of parts for this axle,  I do try to keep one here for parts.

ed

Keep in mind that this axle design is from the late 40's, or 50's &  they may have been used in Korean conflict.  we were told they were military surplus when Elwood put them out. All were dealer added as far as I know and the first ones we saw were on early 66 series 4 speed tractors and the last ones we saw were on black stripe 1566 and 1568.  We assume because you couldn't put a coleman on a 3 speed trans tractor.  By 78 or 79 the 86 series came factory equipped with the later and better designed axle that Elwood built. This pictured axle is not seen on many 86 series, but they loved them in NY for while anyway!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ED - Don Jones and Dick Pettigrew told me their first axles came off surplus Army trucks they bought off the Joliet Arsenal only a few miles away from their shop. When the arsenal ran out of trucks they started buying axles from SPICER.

Every time they delivered me 5 axles at FARMALL their truck went on to Minnesota to pick up 10 more axles from Spicer.

I think the FWD axle was used by the military for a good spell of time. And NY state ran a fleet of those old FWD brand trucks for snow removal,  Did IH actually receive the FWD brand axle at the plant for installation? or for distribution?   The spicer sure made things more desirable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:09 PM, Ed Leaman said:

I think the FWD axle was used by the military for a good spell of time. And NY state ran a fleet of those old FWD brand trucks for snow removal,  Did IH actually receive the FWD brand axle at the plant for installation? or for distribution?   The spicer sure made things more desirable.

I think there is an old FWD front axle at the inlaws, was left there years ago by a logging outfit. Maybe I can adapt it up to my 186 😃

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 5:09 PM, Ed Leaman said:

ED - Everything we got from Elwood was a Spicer axle.

It's funny,  of the hundred or more people I knew working at FARMALL, probably only 15-20 I know where they eventually ended up, and my BOSS was one of that small group.  About 1990 after FARMALL was all cleaned out and everything moved to Racine,  I see his picture on the cover of PURCHASING MAGAZINE, special magazine for purchasing people, and he was was PURCHASING MANAGER at Spicer in Minnesota, the plant that made Elwood & IH's FWA axles.