5488 hydraulic filter change problems

Made an attempt to service the hydraulic filters on my 5488. Removed check valve plug as instructed however 10 gallons of oil later and the flow would not stop. I pulled the filter out and behind it I found a piece not listed in the filter diagram in the manual. E1ED84E2-7E1C-496F-B850-8F7DD914C0FE.thumb.jpeg.c5d7cfc567b4fbc839ef27fa3132d067.jpegBF8624A5-A5EB-4448-8649-CE105753175E.thumb.jpeg.b5fdbdca8b68cbb5e2264b78f0bd91a8.jpegReplaced the filter cap to stop the oil for now. The picture below shows this piece that looks like a valve out of a cylinder head. Can anyone tell me what this valve goes to and if it is causing my problem?

That’s a valve for the filter housing, but it shouldn’t be loose and it shouldn’t be bent like that.  
  I hate to say this, but you’re going to have to drain the whole thing.

8 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

That’s a valve for the filter housing, but it shouldn’t be loose and it shouldn’t be bent like that.  
  I hate to say this, but you’re going to have to drain the whole thing.

What is the purpose of this valve? Looks like I’m going to have to pull the filter housing and fix it so that I can properly service the filters in the future?

Don't take bolt #18 all the way out, just enough to close the check valve.   You should have only lost about a gallon of oil once you remove the cover.

That valve is actually 10 and 11

14 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

Don't take bolt #18 all the way out, just enough to close the check valve.   You should have only lost about a gallon of oil once you remove the cover.

In the order of what I did. I first removed the filter cover on the filter closer to the front, didn’t think I needed to loosen the check valve plug for the front one but the oil wouldn’t stop, so I loosened the plug but didn’t take it out. Oil still wouldn’t stop, removed plug completely, same result. Haven’t touched the rear filter yet. Mainly want to know if I screwed something up. Also wondering if all this oil is coming from this valve that came out.

Okay hold on. 

First, Bolt 18 you completely remove, this closes the filter oil supply valve and drains the filter housing so you don't have a mess when you pull the filter cover.

Second, the valve in the picture is an anti drain back valve between the rear filter and the front one.  It's located in the front filter housing i believe, hydraulics will function fine without it.  My 5488 had the same valve loose when I split it, they are held by a cheesy washer with a spring, I put a tack weld on mine to hold it in permanently, I'll see if I can find some pics.

• Like 1

There are two of those valves, one in the front filter housing, one in the speed section housing, hopefully the pics help, I had no issues with hydraulic function before fixing the loose valveIMG_20180304_140717248.thumb.jpg.5cc30941fb3120fe43cdc8f1fcf3ef17.jpgIMG_20180304_150128112.thumb.jpg.8c768995c316afc4dc9c98bb2fa450ff.jpgIMG_20180303_122939051.thumb.jpg.f3a6159580c42cdc385042cddcac526d.jpg