Some real Broncos and other rides. Add yours if you like.

iowaboy1965

The first and most fun. Probably because it was rusty and well used by the time I got it. Someone long before me had done a custom interior with plywood covered by shag carpet. Dont have any pics of the pre roll over ATM but here are some post roll over. I took the top off, cut the broken window frames off the doors and found a windshield and frame somewhere and drove it a short while topless. Sold it to a guy in town who built a home made top for it and drove it a winter or 2. Lost track of it after that. This is the one that almost got me.

20210825_164843.jpg

20210825_164912.jpg

20210825_165024.jpg

20210825_164941.jpg

• Like 2

Next one I bought from a buddy while he was in college in Ames.

It was fairly decent and had a limited slip rear axle tho it was getting tired. A guy at work wanted it and I finally sold it as I had my eye on something else..Can't recall what right now. 

Transmission slipped and I took it to Mitchell's in Desmoines fairly soon after I got it and had it rebuilt for i think around $600. 

20210825_165159.jpg

• Like 2

Next up is the one I SHOULD have kept. Tho it was a bit of a plain Jane trim wise it had 35,000 ish miles in 1987/88 when I bought it.

The black one in some of the pics was a 76 with power disc brakes and drove and stopped the straightest of any of them. A lawyer bought it new and it had the ranger trim. At one time had under dash air but it was dead and I took it off or what was left of it.

20210825_165311.jpg

20210825_165403.jpg

20210825_165459.jpg

• Like 3

My 72 when I first got the aluminum slot wheels all the way round. Grandparents bought it off Axtell Fords showroom floor, then sold it to dad, then I bought it from dad when I was 16 or 17

20210825_170019.jpg

20210825_165930.jpg

• Like 6

The 390 that was in the 68 as it was going back together. Buddies older brother rebuilt it for me and I helped put it back in. 1982 or 83

20210825_170300.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

How many of those toys do you wish you had back?? 

Right this minute most of them. Lol. Dont know where I would put them all. The black Bronco was really getting pretty rusty and tired by the time it left tho it was known to still hit 90 mph now n then. The 69 fast back and 2 of the red Broncos for sure I wish I had back. The 68 the 72 and the bike are still here tho worse for wear. 

Oh I almost forgot the Honda 70 is still here to tho i flat wore it out.

• Like 2

...you blokes were spoiled for choice...!!

...when you saw the crap we had in those  'formative '' years.......:)

...mind you.....if you could have seen some of the  classic  American    sedan's, lurking in pristine conditions in rural sheds...then get destroyed to make ''tobacco farm trailers'' , when tobacco boomed in our area, from early sixties on...make a grown man cry..... New Zealand had every oddball make of motor vehicle , ever made.....Any "lemon's ''  from the manufacturer's.... send it out to Australia    or New Zealand......No 'comebacks "    from down under......

Mike

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mike newman said:

...you blokes were spoiled for choice...!!

...when you saw the crap we had in those  'formative '' years.......:)

...mind you.....if you could have seen some of the  classic  American    sedan's, lurking in pristine conditions in rural sheds...then get destroyed to make ''tobacco farm trailers'' , when tobacco boomed in our area, from early sixties on...make a grown man cry..... New Zealand had every oddball make of motor vehicle , ever made.....Any "lemon's ''  from the manufacturer's.... send it out to Australia    or New Zealand......No 'comebacks "    from down under......

Mike

Aww, c'mon Mike!  We know you've got a classic Ford pickup tucked back in storage...

• Haha 2

A lil more rambling about some of these old rides....

The 69 fastback upon decoding the door tag was originally equipped with a 351W 3 speed. Kind of an odd combo I thought. But in case anyone was thinking I parted a cobra jet from its original engine, I didn't. 

When I went to look at it in Monroe Iowa a truck driver owned it and when he took me for a ride he kept double clutching it and driving it like a semi. Slow methodical shifts. I thought good grief let's GO! 😆  nice guy tho. We made the deal and I drove it a few times a year. It was really a pretty solid old car but had some fiberglass in a few spots but the interior was pretty good. I read in a mustang magazine that all black with the red stripe down the side was a rarely ordered combo for some reason? Idk if that's true but made me feel like it might be kind of unique. 

When I sold it another fellow in Monroe and his younger brother bought it. Steve was a truck driver as well at that time also and friends with the guy I bought it from they put a different 428 back in it and raced it for a Couple years at Eddyville iowa. Last I knew Steve told me they sold it to someone down around Kansas City and it was painted a metallic Maroon color I believe. Maybe someday here has even seen it....

Funny thing about the green and white Bronc. It had the fancier interior as well..same icky green as the outside. Wasnt too bad for its age. 

When I sold it I trailered it To Masson city I think and met a guy half way between his place and mine. He was from Minnesota iirc. He bought it and I didn't think any more about it. Well a couple years later a nice looking red and white Bronc shows up back in Newton. I heard thru the grape vine the man that had it bought it from a guy in Minnesota.  Turns out it was the old green bean with fresh paint.  The guy drove it for 4 or 5 years pretty Regularly.  I think it finally got pretty rusty and I lost track of it too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Aww, c'mon Mike!  We know you've got a classic Ford pickup tucked back in storage...

...yeah..OK   ...:)

....my old 78  (Australian ) Orange Roughy......ensconsed in one shed....motor less.....

.....and   an RHD     1210.....with a deceased  GM    (Oldsmobile ??)  diesel....(That got me the ""Dip Stick Of the Year, Award""   about   20 years gone.....:( )

..I have a 6,9   Diesel ,out of a '84   Ford 250...which I would like to put in the 1210......I have a C6   trans ...etc   but I have so many bloody projects.....and I have been on Flood Damage  Repair..for five weeks and counting....I need to be milling timber   and so on....Any one in the rural area will know excactly the issues are.....!!!!!!

Mike

post-157-1183280387  paradice bay 4.jpg

post-157-1221348491.jpg

post-157-1263633366.jpg

• Like 2

Your pics of the bronco upside down were right side up🤔

Those mustangs fastbacks were always my favourite body style

390 repower in the bronco must have make it perk up

Mike I’m thinking the dip stick award was a compliment, you must be in Furd heaven here so far 😊

20 minutes ago, hardtail said:

390 repower in the bronco must have make it perk up

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. That was a picture of the 390 going back in the 68 mustang when I was in highschool. 

All the Broncos I owned had 302s in them. Pretty sure a 390 would require some major surgery and not sure it would work even then?

• iowaboy1965 changed the title to Some real Broncos and other rides. Add yours if you like.