What is your "full on" pressure reading? Did you have unit out for servicing it and trying to set pressure or are you just checking pressure due to a problem? You may have an internal leak you are attempting to overcome that is dropping your pressure. 

I made a new upper control valve shaft (due to corrosion) and installed it. I am trying to reset all pressures including the feathering pressure.  I can get my operating pressure set at 235 psi without a problem. I just can’t get my feathering pressure set to 41-46 psi with 4 shims.  
i never had a problem with slippage, pto worked fine 

Well this has had me wondering. First post I wondered if Teflon seal had been shaved. Then it was what dimension of spool is incorrect. This last post I'm thinking what is assembled wrong. Then I think that's impossible. Lifting same spool for start and engaged. Then I realized I misunderstood. Come up with this question. Which side of cup are you placing shims?

Shims installed below the cup, spring sits inside of cup, the new shaft’s dimensions are exactly as the original shaft.  Added an additional .125” shim and the pressure increased by only 5 psi, max. 35 psi

1 hour ago, DTM124 said:

Shims installed below the cup, spring sits inside of cup, the new shaft’s dimensions are exactly as the original shaft.  Added an additional .125” shim and the pressure increased by only 5 psi, max. 35 psi

Spring does NOT sit inside of the cup. Assemble as in this pic...

1463831314_IHptospool.jpg.d2c1d074c7c140aa5a3ec777c3bd8955.jpg

Hope this helps.

Travis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTM124 said:

Will switch it around and see what happens.
Thanks for your help , appreciate it 

I'm not sure if it will, or even if it could make a difference in your pressure, but I'm definitely curious if it does.

Have seen a few come through the shop with that cup installed upside down. 

Travis

Installed the spring retainer cup as mentioned in Sparky’s  pic and featuring pressure climbed to 50 psi with 4 shims, removal of shims increased pressure.  
Final pressure left as follows:

Featuring psi = 50

High idle psi = 250 

Low Idle psi = 200

2 IH techs told me the cup went open end up, it came out my pto open end up, but the IT manual illustrates it to be open end down, but I  was reluctant to change it bc the spring was so close to the gland 

Thanks again for the information, and taking time out of your day to respond to my inquiry,  greatly appreciated!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 3:02 PM, Sparky said:

Spring does NOT sit inside of the cup. Assemble as in this pic...

1463831314_IHptospool.jpg.d2c1d074c7c140aa5a3ec777c3bd8955.jpg

Hope this helps.

Travis

If I would have been putting that together from scratch I would put cup wrong . 

What a difference it makes when installed correctly.  My buddy made a shaft out of 17-4 stainless steel so it should last a long time without any corrosion on the shaft 

Again thank you all, great forum, great people!!!!

Glad you got it, but, it must have been working previously with it installed incorrectly, right? And it sounds like lots of guys have put them together wrong, and they must have worked too. Yet yours wouldn’t.     Can one  of you guys that understand better, give us a quick description of how that works? 

It does work installed incorrectly, but will not reach the desired pressure required by the manufacturer.  Open end down position let’s the shaft lift more thus increasing pressure. As stated before there are 3 pressure requirements on a dual speed pto for it to function satisfactory, evidently the high idle pressure is the most critical for the clutches not to slip. Some mechanics never set the feathering pressure, only the high idle pressure.  Just tried to make mine last as long as possible 

Each shim measures .042” thickness 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DTM124 said:

It does work installed incorrectly, but will not reach the desired pressure required by the manufacturer.  Open end down position let’s the shaft lift more thus increasing pressure. As stated before there are 3 pressure requirements on a dual speed pto for it to function satisfactory, evidently the high idle pressure is the most critical for the clutches not to slip. Some mechanics never set the feathering pressure, only the high idle pressure.  Just tried to make mine last as long as possible 

Each shim measures .042” thickness 

Sounds like you've taken the time to understand it. Good job. Too many people don't. 

Travis