Metro-Mite Austin engine

Michael Halsall

This is just a quick history question from me about the Metro-Mite van. 

This little van was fitted with a British sourced Austin "B Series" engine.  What years was this engine fitted to this van (1959? to ??)  ?

Does anyone on this forum own or has owned one of these interesting little vans.

Regards from Michael H. (Australia)

P.S. I have been told that the Austin engine was a bit underpowered for the North American market and was essentially replaced by the IH 152 engine in the Scout etc.🔧

The Austin engine was tested in the Scout during  development, but as you heard, it's 52 hp was inadequate for the 3,900# GVW of the Scout 4x4.  The 4-196 offered 93 hp, but still didn't make it a high performance vehicle. 

Crismon's book says the 4-196 became the standard engine in the Metro-Mite for 1961 with the Austin still available as an option.

5 hours ago, lightninboy said:

I never heard of it in America.

The Austin engine was the same as used in the Nash Metropolitan car which was sold in North America. In Britain the same engine was used in Austin commercial vehicles as well as Austin cars. It was a sturdy but unsophisicated OHV engine. It was probably sourced by IH to save time and development costs. This engine worked well on British roads but overwhelmed on American Freeways!

• Like 1

Buddy is doing a Morris or Austin 1/4 ton truck project right now, haven’t stopped by the shop to see it yet, think he is using a LS power plant and a Chrysler 300 transaxle for a mid engine build, guess he thought the original was underpowered