Wheatland's............

dads706

When and what model did IH quit making Wheatland tractors?

66 series was the last I have seen 

This is just a wild guess but I would have to say it was when the badges on the sides of the tractor disappeared which would have been with the 56 and 26 models. After that a tractor would have probably been speced out with whatever options but wouldn't have the wheatland designation.

8 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Do you mean true dedicated wheatland that used a non rowcrop chassis or just when they stopped using badges to indicate wheatland?

I was thinking the same thing, this could be a muddy water post?! 

As far as I’m concerned the 56’s were the last wheatland, after that the 66’s on up are row crop tractors with no 3pt, or pto, but pto could be added.  I’ve seen 86, and 88’s without 3pt, but I don’t consider them wheatlands.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

As far as I’m concerned the 56’s were the last wheatland, after that the 66’s on up are row crop tractors with no 3pt, or pto, but pto could be added.  I’ve seen 86, and 88’s without 3pt, but I don’t consider them wheatlands.

I have seen pictures of the 66 series with wide coverage rear fenders that were not used for row crop areas

52 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

I know on the JD side towards the end if you wanted a 4020 “wheatland” you ordered a row crop with wheatland features.  My opinion the last true IH wheatland was the W-650 series of the 50s.  After that it tractors were rowcrops with the option of wheatland options.  

20 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I know on the JD side towards the end if you wanted a 4020 “wheatland” you ordered a row crop with wheatland features.  My opinion the last true IH wheatland was the W-650 series of the 50s.  After that it tractors were rowcrops with the option of wheatland options.  

Wasn't the 660 also a dedicated chassis?  I know it had planetary rear ends instead of the 560 row crop.

15 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Wasn't the 660 also a dedicated chassis?  I know it had planetary rear ends instead of the 560 row crop.

I was under the impression the 660 was a 560 with the engine squeezed tighter, wheatland front axle, wheatland fenders, and the outboard planetary rear axle.  I thought it had been talked about IH could have had a 80 hp rowcrop tractor in the late 50s/early 60s with a modified 660. Somebody educate us.

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

I was under the impression the 660 was a 560 with the engine squeezed tighter, wheatland front axle, wheatland fenders, and the outboard planetary rear axle.  I thought it had been talked about IH could have had a 80 hp rowcrop tractor in the late 50s/early 60s with a modified 660. Somebody educate us.

You are probably correct.  So I guess it's possible that the 660 was more of a hybrid and had the bolt on components vs a true dedicated standard frame chassis.

The 56 series was the last to get the I on the model number on the serial tag, ex. I856 or I1256. Any of the 66's were just farmall's with wide fenders and were tagged F966 or F1066 unless they were actually yellow industrials.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CDN 400 said:

The 56 series was the last to get the I on the model number on the serial tag, ex. I856 or I1256. Any of the 66's were just farmall's with wide fenders and were tagged F966 or F1066 unless they were actually yellow industrials.

This is my understanding as well. The wide coverage fenders on the 66 series was an option package, not a separate tractor.

66 series also did not receive the set back front axle that the I-56 series tractors had.

13 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Speaking of muddy, are we talking real Wheatlands or Standards. The Wheatlands were an EL CHEAPO version of the Standards.  BK.

15 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

I would classify yours as a wheatland @m.c.farmerboy, it has the set back front axle

What's the S-Y after the vin # mean?

Every person that see's it has a different Idea

One say's 514 was the 14th built on day one and some say it was the 13th one on the first day

28 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

What's the S-Y after the vin # mean?

Every person that see's it has a different Idea

One say's 514 was the 14th built on day one and some say it was the 13th one on the first day

S = Torque Amplifier

Y= 12 GPM Hydraulic Pump

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 7:11 AM, dale560 said:

As far as I know the 66s were last to offer wide fenders. And then I think it was just early series. 

There were black stripe 66 series with wide coverage fenders.  Farmington Implement videos has a 1566 BS with wheatland fenders shown on the line in several shots. (DVD 8, Farmall Works Special)

2 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

There were black stripe 66 series with wide coverage fenders.  Farmington Implement videos has a 1566 BS with wheatland fenders shown on the line in several shots. (DVD 8, Farmall Works Special)

That would be a rare tractor. You could find the odd 1066 with big fenders up here but almost all of the 66s were factory cab tractors.