Iron Bull ROPS on 1466

66 Series Farmer

I have been wanting to put a ROPS on my 1466 for several years. Use it for a lot of different things and 4 little ones make you think about things. It showed up last week and got it put on Saturday. Very happy with it and overall experience. Angie was great at communicating with me on the shipping and kept me in the loop. All the necessary hardware came with. E522ABA3-3EA8-43E8-B888-8B9CBD5A3BCB.thumb.jpeg.ae28e7c18f6446a12df370ab9be78fc4.jpeg0515DD27-665A-4697-BB85-117101BD488F.thumb.jpeg.c77108d932137c2efb224769573d870e.jpeg

• Like 11

I like the looks of it on that 14. Some have told me having that roof on there makes the tractor seem louder. Do you think it  amplifies the transmission noise like a cab does on a 66 series? Im curious because I have an 826 that had one before I bought it and I've considered getting one. 

• Like 1

The dealer generously loaned us a 766 with a ROPS and canopy when the nut fell off the countershaft on the 1066 and made a mess in the transmission.

It was a long time ago but I had never heard anything that loud before in my life! That thing was the LOUDEST thing to run. The roof seemed to act like a giant speaker, blasting vibration and noise straight down on the platform.

Nowadays you can get a peel and stick vibration/noise dampening material such as "Hush Mat." From what I understand a single 12" square piece of that stuck to the inside of the roof is enough to break up the break up the conditions that make the roof resonate and make noise.

You get an echo and also vibrations are amplified thru the supports from the transmission some folks don't notice it or care , My worst problem was not being able to get by tree branches because I farm near alot of rivers and streams , But they do look cool and helps keep the sun off you on hot days 

• Like 1

You haven't cussed until you duck under that branch only to have it smack you hard on the back of the head as the Rops catches it and it whiplashes forward....

Great decision on the Iron Bull ROPS to keep you safe!   I put one on my 666 a while back, also very happy.   Now, consider your hearing so you can hear the grandkids!   I strongly encourage you to buy some cab liner foam or similar and glue under the cap.  It will greatly quiet down the sound reverb.

I had one on my 656 years ago and since its a smaller profile tractor you'd be surprised how many low branches I get under mowing or any other operation requiring getting near trees Only thing I worry about is the muffler now The canopy is nice looking but doesn't fit well with certain types of jobs for a play tractor they are great but I use mine and I don't miss it

14 hours ago, tractorholic said:

I like the looks of it on that 14. Some have told me having that roof on there makes the tractor seem louder. Do you think it  amplifies the transmission noise like a cab does on a 66 series? Im curious because I have an 826 that had one before I bought it and I've considered getting one. 

Yes it does. I did one a few weeks ago and had the headliner package too.  

Only thing is you need to drill the fender mount holes. I couldn't use the bottom set of holes or it wouldn't clear the 20.8 x 38 tires. 

Jim's 1466.jpg

I can contest to the 766 and canopy being loud. While plowing or discing it would resonate back and rattle your ear drums. Even with ear muffs it still would tickle your ears. Hard to explain if you never been there before.  I had foam under mine too. I would of liked to filled my rops with sand and try it but never did. I didn't think the rear end noise was all that bad, and under most conditions it wasnt bad. But feed her some onions and it got real in a hurry. 

Anyway I dealt with it because i hated getting sunburnt. 

19 hours ago, GaryK said:

Some people fill the post with a spray foam to deaden the sound.

Doesn't really add any weight

But weight is a good thing on the rear of  tractor in my opinion , the foam would help on suppressing noise I suppose

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

But weight is a good thing on the rear of  tractor in my opinion , the foam would help on suppressing noise I suppose

I'll bet sand works 10x better. but not sure. and yah that was my thought too, weight is a plus 

The only problem I have with the new ROPS w/o the canopy, is the fenders vibrate & rattle.   I wish there was a good way to rubber mount them, rather than solid bolts to the ROPS.   You need a bigger hole in the ROPS plates, & a rubber grommet & inner metal sleeve, I think.

17 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

The only problem I have with the new ROPS w/o the canopy, is the fenders vibrate & rattle.   I wish there was a good way to rubber mount them, rather than solid bolts to the ROPS.   You need a bigger hole in the ROPS plates, & a rubber grommet & inner metal sleeve, I think.

My fenders don't, but I attached them to more than just the plates on the ROPS. 

Genuine ROPS fenders have an extra brace on them and I wonder if that doesn't help with the vibration.

Travis

11 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

I put some old round baler belt between the rops and the axle, top and bottom. A hillbilly isomount

That stuff is like baling wire....I've used it for tank straps, insulator spacers, battery tray cushion, spreader paddles, and a hundred other things.  I can't believe I didn't think of that for the fenders!    I know what I'll be doing this winter....

• Thanks 1

Know a guy who filled his posts with sand. He said no more noise from the rear end. I never ran it. As far as the fenders, yes the original IH fenders have more bracing. That is why non ROPS fenders sometimes vibrate, they are only bolted through the sheet metal. Kinda a bummer, but can be fixed easy enough.

I was thinking about one of the Iron Bulls or one of the canopys from Leamans. I was figuring on filling the uprights with sand, but has anyone tried using a thick layer of color matched spray in bed-liner on the underside of the canopy? I know it has good sound deadening qualities in the automotive restoration world when used on floors and ceilings of cars and trucks. I would think it would deaden sound, vibration, insulate radiant heat from above, be more resilient and longer lasting than stick on or glue on Dynamat and the like, and could be color matched so it wouldn't take away from the appearance of the tractor.