Jump to content

Sharp looking Big Bud!!


ST-470
 Share

Recommended Posts

Nicely done, sure beats the ugly white factory color. All should’ve been painted this way IMO.... 

3406B engine probably a little light compared to the 1150 cummins.AB785042-0766-4B6F-8F26-0448F4B8CAEA.jpeg.a545c0a512b4bd65d5515c2680ca3397.jpeg099D6C32-9312-44FB-9908-970BE2E12B4F.jpeg.7d620c7f3bd0e7fad77f0ce6b29a4a9d.jpeg1ADD4416-FF13-4335-911F-5DA1CB04E782.thumb.jpeg.d5a3ae725dbf6490fe983040165f07a3.jpeg1D448D36-FE13-4FDE-9671-3EDE7AC8F653.thumb.jpeg.edab3c123c4efd4ad28f5184bae71722.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ST-470 said:

Had both and there is no comparison, the 1150 is a MUCH bigger engine than the 3406. 257 cubes more.......

That’s what I was thinking those KTA’s make some torque and thinking the size has to matter. I’m thinking there’s a lot of good running 3406’s  but they aren’t 1150 cubes those big ole KTA’s made big power before computers came out. I still like the sound of a 1693 but a 3406 is all over it in power and reliability  but that marbley sound of a 1693 does  sound good 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2021 at 8:45 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I was always fascinated by those tractors. I have never seen one in person. I doubt if there’s one within 500 miles of me. 

I got to see and climb on the 747 at the American Royal in the mid seventies.  Were you around in the seventies?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MoeSzyslak said:

Anyone know why the Buds always have such amazingly high resale values compared to other articulated 4WD tractors of the time, or even new ones?

I assume it’s because they are worth it. They seem to be easy to modify to suit about any purpose that requires big power. From what I can tell when they built them they actually realized that they would need service and planned accordingly with a tilting cab among other things. There’s no way they could get the prices they are advertised for unless people knew it would be money well spent. Probably big power without 14 different ECU’s and no emissions is a big selling point too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I assume it’s because they are worth it. They seem to be easy to modify to suit about any purpose that requires big power. From what I can tell when they built them they actually realized that they would need service and planned accordingly with a tilting cab among other things. There’s no way they could get the prices they are advertised for unless people knew it would be money well spent. Probably big power without 14 different ECU’s and no emissions is a big selling point too. 

That is all true but I've seen many a Big Bud sell for way less then what you see advertised in the papers or internet.  The older Series 1 and 2s like mine could be had under $10,000 for awhile.  The value has only gone up in very recent times due to many factors.  One of them being some guys are buying them as a collector/farming tractors.  Cheap hp another reason.  Social media with the Williams Brothers making the BB name more famous another.  However, they are not for everyone.  You pretty much have to be like Welkers to appreciate them.  One neighbor of mine bought Series 3 400 and ran it along side his New Holland 9882.  It did alright and there was nothing wrong with it but after awhile he wanted something newer and more convenient to run so he traded it for a JD 9520.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, forwhldrv said:

That’s what I was thinking those KTA’s make some torque and thinking the size has to matter. I’m thinking there’s a lot of good running 3406’s  but they aren’t 1150 cubes those big ole KTA’s made big power before computers came out. I still like the sound of a 1693 but a 3406 is all over it in power and reliability  but that marbley sound of a 1693 does  sound good 

The 3406 is my favorite engine.  But there is no way they hang with a KTA in the hard pull.  When these Big Buds were originally built, they were built to pull.  How long will a 3406 set at 525 hp pulling a 80ft plow last against 525 hp KT?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

That is all true but I've seen many a Big Bud sell for way less then what you see advertised in the papers or internet.  The older Series 1 and 2s like mine could be had under $10,000 for awhile.  The value has only gone up in very recent times due to many factors.  One of them being some guys are buying them as a collector/farming tractors.  Cheap hp another reason.  Social media with the Williams Brothers making the BB name more famous another.  However, they are not for everyone.  You pretty much have to be like Welkers to appreciate them.  One neighbor of mine bought Series 3 400 and ran it along side his New Holland 9882.  It did alright and there was nothing wrong with it but after awhile he wanted something newer and more convenient to run so he traded it for a JD 9520.  

How do these Big Buds ride? I like my Steiger in general, but it’s a workout to drive it. It rides rough compared to every other 4wd I’ve been in, which admittedly isn’t that many. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

How do these Big Buds ride? I like my Steiger in general, but it’s a workout to drive it. It rides rough compared to every other 4wd I’ve been in, which admittedly isn’t that many. 

Keep in mind the only one I’ve run is mine a NH 320 the smallest in the lineup at the time.  It actually rides great despite the small tires which are 23.1x30s.  I think the reason it rides good is because of the weight.  Its suppose to weigh 36,000 lbs dry.  When driving across the field it almost feels like you are floating because you can’t see they tires due to the huge fenders.  
 

Just curious what model Steiger do you have?  We also have a CA-280 and it probably rides better then the Bud because it has 30.5x32 radials.  They are only singles but I have 4 more to duel the tractor up if I had too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

Keep in mind the only one I’ve run is mine a NH 320 the smallest in the lineup at the time.  It actually rides great despite the small tires which are 23.1x30s.  I think the reason it rides good is because of the weight.  Its suppose to weigh 36,000 lbs dry.  When driving across the field it almost feels like you are floating because you can’t see they tires due to the huge fenders.  
 

Just curious what model Steiger do you have?  We also have a CA-280 and it probably rides better then the Bud because it has 30.5x32 radials.  They are only singles but I have 4 more to duel the tractor up if I had too.  

KR-1280 It’s on 20.8-42 radial duals. It’s dry, but I always wanted to fab some kind of suitcase weight brackets on the front and over the rear axle that would accept IH weights. I thought that would help a lot. If my grandpa was still around he would say that it’s as rough as a wagon load of corn cobs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

I like the yellow and black but too many CAT logos

A simple cat power decal would be enough for me.

They are trying to represent it as something it is not.

For me the Big Bud name is more exclusive  

I can just imagine someone calling a Cat parts counter asking for parts for a 525 which is a forestry skidder in the Cat product line.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

The 3406 is my favorite engine.  But there is no way they hang with a KTA in the hard pull.  When these Big Buds were originally built, they were built to pull.  How long will a 3406 set at 525 hp pulling a 80ft plow last against 525 hp KT?  

And that is a KTA, an older engine by now.  They had plenty room to stretch their legs yet.  I believe in the Deere forage harvesters the QSK iteration of the K block was pushing 700 hp.  I can’t imagine CAT fans would care to claim the 3406 or its successors would out perform a C18, which would be much closer to a K block Cummins.

The big downside of the K blocks is overhaul cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

And that is a KTA, an older engine by now.  They had plenty room to stretch their legs yet.  I believe in the Deere forage harvesters the QSK iteration of the K block was pushing 700 hp.  I can’t imagine CAT fans would care to claim the 3406 or its successors would out perform a C18, which would be much closer to a K block Cummins.

The big downside of the K blocks is overhaul cost.

KTAs went up to 600 hp back in the day.  More then one Big Bud 525 was turned up to 600 hp.  I’m fact there are enough of them around that some people think Big Bud did make a 600 which is not true.  They made 525s and 650s.    
 

The overhaul cost of a K is the reason why they get switched out for other engines like the one that started this thread.  I’ve seen N14s and QSXs take the place of K engines in Buds around here.  I think Welkers had to go out and find a Versatile 1150 just to get the engine for their BB fleet.  Swapping a smaller but more modern engine into a BB is fine now because with no till all these tractors do is pull air drills.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2021 at 9:52 PM, Thesd5488 said:

3406 will out run a 1150 all day they make way more torque to start with

If you have ever run the tractors side by side, you would not say that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...