all time, windows down, rocking out, speaker blowing song for you?

vtfireman85

6 minutes ago, farmer john 8910 said:

and workin mans phd

I did a double date one time, the fellow my friend was seeing was from a couple towns south, we went to his folks house afterwards (high school age at the time) the entire house was a shrine to Aaron Tippin, photos, pictures, posters, paintings, memorabilia and merch… it went on and on and on, apparently they used their extensive GE vacation time to be groupies, never seen anything like it. 

• Confused 1

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KWRB said:

The same!

I also started the "unmanly traits" thread.

Aggressive music is cathartic for me. I've always felt it's how I purge anger, aggression, or any other unhelpful emotion.

I like beautiful things. But, I guess unlike some, I find beauty in power, volume and speed too, especially when combined with poetry. So many lyrics are about "pretty women" and that's so played out. That first song for example, is about the butchery of the earth and all it's defenseless inhabitants. To me, it's about abortion. The narrator is desperate and wants to just leave the planet and the monsters that inhabit it. I can relate.

Dragula is just fun, and an ode to The Munsters.

Black No. 1 needs to be listened to through a historical lens. When this song came out (at least, when I first heard it) "fashion" included girls dying their hair jet black. It reminds me of my awkward youth and a few of the metal head girls I crushed on.

Bullet With a Name is the auditory equivalent of splitting cordwood to exorcize bad feelings. I almost feel tired and relaxed after yelling along to it.

I Get By is a song about being disallusioned; it's emotional and I can appreciate that. A similar song called White Trash Beautiful, I like just as much.

There's beauty everywhere, friends.

...KWRB.....could I be so bold as to enquire....was there a history of insanity  in the  ""KWRB''     fore fathers and mothers etc  ...???:D....some rogue gene in the family...perhaps  back when the British were about to colonise   America ???...:o

..perhaps the Drummer   Boy  played a bum note  or  three.....and  this raucus noise was indelibly   etched into  13th Cousin   Cletus's fecund  grey matter......(this while he was clutching his old flintlock.)....and, years  later... down the lineage....it has manifested itself in  your   "'music "' tastes.....??.:wub:...  Uhmm..OK then....:mellow:

Anyway I liked your concise    explanation......in respect of the various 'auditory ' offerings...thankyou......however, I was spared    the final offering...as it wasn't  to be played   ""in your country ""....  (I had had enough by then anyway....:)..)

Mike

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Excellent thread VT❤️And all the members choices and contributions 

To get back to the question circa back to 1980 cruising mainstreet in my V8 Pinto windows down with the Pioneer cutting edge cassette deck and 6x9 Jensen triax I would have to say ACDC would have been a popular choice, ZZ top, Molly Hatcher, Judas Priest, Quiet Riot, Ozzy, Deep Purple, Boston, Styx, BOC, Rush, etc the list goes on

Funnily I don’t recall listening to Metallica until years later, maybe 1990 ish, definitely not when they first emerged, for whom the bell tolls has got to be the best bass intro of all time, Cliff taken too soon

• Like 3

so where is the love for lyle lovett ? strange fellow but some descent music

there are some really talented people in the music industry 

some amazing drummers/musicians overall like the entire band of TOTO, those guys were all top notch on every instrument and session musicians top of their game who formed their own band - then you have phil collins, writer/musician, i cant believe someone hasnt mentioned the Eagles or joe walsh and some rocky mountain way?  what about ELO and Jeff Lynn, where are the Steve Miller Band lovers ? We were all blessed with some amazing groups and people. Buck Owens/Dwight Yoakum Streets of Bakersfield, Roy Clark is top shelf and so talented on many instruments. Then  you have the new comers like Brad Paisley, the Amazing Australian musician/writer/composer Keith Urban. I could go on and on, and who can not say Dolly Parton she can still bring it even at her age. Just recently in a duet with Zach Williams " There was Jesus " dig a lil deeper fellas its all around us. 

• Like 2

I really couldn’t decide weather to post this or not, its new, might not be all time. But last night on my way to work this came on the radio and I had to crank it up. 

16 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Yes! It is firmly in my playlist!  Love some good covers. 

So are you geeked about the new "Blacklist" coming out? I am.

4 hours ago, mike newman said:

...KWRB.....could I be so bold as to enquire....was there a history of insanity  in the  ""KWRB''     fore fathers and mothers etc  ...???:D....some rogue gene in the family...perhaps  back when the British were about to colonise   America ???...:o

..perhaps the Drummer   Boy  played a bum note  or  three.....and  this raucus noise was indelibly   etched into  13th Cousin   Cletus's fecund  grey matter......(this while he was clutching his old flintlock.)....and, years  later... down the lineage....it has manifested itself in  your   "'music "' tastes.....??.:wub:...  Uhmm..OK then....:mellow:

Anyway I liked your concise    explanation......in respect of the various 'auditory ' offerings...thankyou......however, I was spared    the final offering...as it wasn't  to be played   ""in your country ""....  (I had had enough by then anyway....:)..)

Mike

Insanity? You have no idea!!!

German family on my father's side and Italian on my mother's. What that means in the end is that I am as stubborn and the day is long and super passionate about it. Or put another way, I'm right about everything and more than happy to talk about it. or put yet ANOTHER way, a short temper from my mother and a severe temper from my father. It's a terrible combination of traits to be sure.

Ironically, the slice of my DNA that was on this continent for the revolution (paternal grandmother's family) is the only sane slice!!!

But seriously, this music contains all the parts of music: in addition to tempo and volume, there's rhythm, melody, harmony and poetry. It's why I hate rap/hiphop -that is rhythm only.

Different strokes for different folks. Some of my other favorites are very country, even folk. In fact, Gordon Lightfoot (one of your fellow British subjects) is probably in my top three. I also REALLY love Jason Isbell, American Aquarium and Turnpike Toubadours. They're just not really "windows down, rocking out, speaker blowing" music, so I didn't add it. Remember, this wasn't just a "favorite song" thread. With the ones I shared, I turn up to eleven, sing at the top of my lungs, and drum the wheel to death. (good thing I don't live in a city)

I know, I know, I'll never bring some people around to seeing things my way. I just like defending rock and metal. If we were the same, the world would be a boring place.

Mike, when I make it to NZ, I look forward to a long friendly discussion of music, while you give me a tour of that beautiful place!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

so where is the love for lyle lovett ? strange fellow but some descent music

Not exactly blowing speakers on lyle lovett… at least no one I know is. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nc1112 said:

This is a great thread!  Junior Brown's surf medley is a cranker for sure. 

So is "409" with the Beach Boys backing him up!

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

what is it with jewish guys and catholic girls? Billy Joel, Paul Simon, I am sure the list goes on. 

Not just Jewish guys , I remember the “good” catholic girls from my high school days and that was 45 years ago😎

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2021 at 11:23 AM, oleman said:

On self powered system, CV dual 8" monitor and EV 18" sub

Alison Krauss , "Missing You".

Billy Joel "Mandy"

Sissel "Going Home"

Mary Duff "Making Believe"

Hoyt Axton "An Old Greyhound"

Jimmy Rodgers "Waiting for a Train"

I have 2000 songs on a memory stick, I just plug it in and let it rip! If I hear something that appeals today, I set it to repeat. 

Ummm Mandy was by Barry Manilow

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KWRB said:

Insanity? You have no idea!!!

Mike, when I make it to NZ, I look forward to a long friendly discussion of music, while you give me a tour of that beautiful place!

Yep...that sounds like a plan,KWRB........no worries...:)

...and we could dust off the old vinyl   "'Sound of Music''...with Julie Andrews,....and relax in that deep and meaningfull auditory  experience....:rolleyes:

Mike      :D

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I like Alice in chains nutshell alot         I know GNR is pretty over played and quite over rated but GNR civil war is pretty good. I have yet to find any def Leppard I don't like same for the older ZZ top stuff. My all time least favorites are anything pearl jam or worse yet Nickelback. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mike caught the comment on Sandman’s (another great song) thread about coming over here to lend a hand shoring up the dreaded long hairs excuse as white noise for music...recall my father had similar feelings about the long hair and music at the time, this would have been around 1977, my buddy was over and he knew Rush was going to be on one of the 3 channels over the airwaves and asked him if we could change it to watch, he suspiciously said yes and began to relax and enjoy the intro....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Youngred2000 said:

How can we forget AC/DC BIG BALLS??? 

How could we forget! Makes old ladies on the sidewalk really scowl! 

• Like 1