656 and a DuAl 3000 loader

Tom74

Your best bet would be a Farmall 656 that has a Dual 3000 loader on it. However, I doubt the owner is going to want to sell you just the brackets.

That's the main challenge with pairing up tractors and loaders that did not come together. You're on your own figuring out how to make it fit.  The manufacturer of the loader is either long gone, or the loader is discontinued, or the manufacturer no longer makes brackets for such old tractors. Even if you do luck out and the manufacturer still makes brackets, they will cost more than you paid for the entire loader.

There just isn't a reliable source for this kind of thing. It's not like it's sitting on the shelf at the local Walmart. You'll have to make them yourself, have them made, or rely on dumb luck to stumble across a set.

I always get ripped for saying so but I always advise caution when mounting a mid-mount loader on a 656/666/686,etc.

There will probably be a bunch of people jumping in to say how they've had one on their 6xx for year with no problem but...

I'm just sayin' might want to take it easy... 👍

B08D4278-FF09-45EB-9CCB-F3B502B15BF2_1_105_c.jpeg.4fe255f7a29cb21d92a97b772be601fa.jpegCA752CE4-979B-460C-B3AE-77A272CB8AC4_1_105_c.jpeg.a4d0a73ac77b777418fa4b8400efe046.jpeg

• Sad 1

I got a DuAll 3100 on a Hydro 70 with zero issues. It was on a Hydro 186 when I bought it. Guy hardly used it at all,just as new except weathered from sitting out.He bought a 4wd with a loader on it.I had to make spacers for frame rails but that wasn't much.For sure it would take a bigger tractor but as long as you use common sense your fine. 

Fortunately, I haven't had a problem like Farmall Tom showed. But I was shearing off the grade 8 mounting bolts below the 656 emblems from time  to time. Adding this (unpainted) plate on both sides stiffened up the mounts and stopped that problem. Like Tom said would happen, "I have had 2250 loaders on 4 different 656s over a 30 year span, loading and feeding silage".😀

1649010985_2021-02-1011_14_28.thumb.jpg.8e5f13630ca39b6997aa22b0fa076d2a.jpg

I wonder if the loader on the tractor in Tom's picture was oversized for the small frame tractors? I don't recognize the mounts.

18 hours ago, FarmallTom said:

I'm just sayin' might want to take it easy...

A lot of folks when they get a loader think they have a bulldozer and/or an excavator. They start pushing on things, and when they can't get it to move they back up and get a run on it.

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

A lot of folks when they get a loader think they have a bulldozer and/or an excavator. They start pushing on things, and when they can't get it to move they back up and get a run on it.

That’s very true around here. I watched a “landowner” near here who bought a Kubota compact tractor attempt to dig a pond in his property. I have to admit he made a much larger hole than I would have thought possible with his machine. It’s still there and does hold water, although the guy who did it sold the property. 

I always thought a loader had to go to the rear axle when I was a kid. Then we got Westendorf WL-44 and WL-42. We used them pretty hard, and the WL-44 self-leveling geometry wasn't perfect and took some welding.

We receive a lot of phone calls at work for mounting brackets to fit brand xxx loader on model yyy tractor.  We sell so many loaders and need the brackets to sell them.  Very seldom does a tractor come in with the brackets only.  I hate to tell them no, but that's how it is.  I always chuckle to myself when they call up: " I bought this loader cheap,  but the mounts are missing. "  😄

• Like 1

The Westendorf WL-30 broke a lot of M's thru 656's because guys wouldn't adjust the side rods correctly. When adjusted correctly, with the loader up in the air, you should be able to pull out the lower pins. Often I would see those pins bent like horseshoes. That meant all the stress was on the bell housing. 

• Like 1

My family was pretty well sold on Westendorf loaders, then got TA-46 on a Case 1896, problem was it had Uni-Fit Mounting System and thus was not made heavy-duty to fit the 1896. The next three or four loaders purchased were DuAl 200-Series.