706 with IH 282D

BobinIL

I have a real nice barn find 1963 706D with 2800 hours working tach.  I want to show this tractor off but want to be careful not to blow the head gasket.  It has a 2 pt hitch and I would like to plow with it.  I am thinking a 540 plow either 4-14 or 3-16 would be a good match. I never use ether on it.  I put new glow plugs in it and it starts perfectly.  It currently has 16.9-38 back tires on it that need replaced.  Tractor data says it should have 15.5-38 on it.  which would be best for a show and plowing demonstration tractor?  

I vote for  the 16.9s, especially if you will be plowing with it. FWIW, if you run across 14.9x38, they would stand a little higher than the 15.5s. Probably 14.9s will be harder to find. You might be surprised what the tires in the picture will pull with the addition of a couple pairs of wheel weights.

• Like 1

16.9x38's are expensive for their size, almost more expensive than 18.4's.

To me, 15.5's will be too small and 18.4's look way too big on a 706. 16.9's or 420/85R38 would be my choice even though they are not the best value.

It's pretty likely that your rims are 14" wide or less and would put quite a squeeze on 18.4x38's.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FarmallTom said:

16.9's are a very nice size for a 706.

15.5.s will look dinky on a tractor that size.

This is my dad, on my 706 with 16'9's, pulling a 4-14's #540:

-FT

man my 706 with german must be shot or something wrong, if it was pulling a 4 bottom like that it would be letting a lot of black smoke out the exhaust - your dads doenst even smoke at all.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:21 AM, BobinIL said:

how would 9.5-15 fronts look instead of the 7.00-16??  any opinions on plow size??

I went from 7.00-16's to 9.5-15's on my 656 and it made it look soooooo much better IMO. I went with wider rims too so they balloon out more. 

I have a set of 4-16's I pull and I would think a set of 4-14's would be a good match for your tractor and not pull too hard. This is a question that comes up alot here. In my soil I can pull a whole bottom less than others say in better soil. It varies that much. 

Plowing is just like that....John Deere (the guy) did not invent the plow as is so often stated.   He just recreated the plow using a steel that would shine up - because the cast metal plows of the time would not work in heavy clay midwest soils.   The same HP that pulls a 6-16 bottom in really sandy soils, may only pull 4-12 in hard clay sod.  

So - I posted the video of my 706 German pulling the 4-14's above but, in fairness, I realize that the D-310 is a step up from the D-282.

Here's the 560D (also D-282 diesel) that I owned previously, pulling the same plow in 2011 in some fairly hard going at a plow day.

PS: I wouldn't worry about blowing a head gasket unless you're planning to turbo it. It can happen, yes, but whether or not you pull a plow isn't likely to determine whether or not that will happen.

-FT

On 8/25/2021 at 1:02 PM, Jeff-C-IL said:

Plowing is just like that....John Deere (the guy) did not invent the plow as is so often stated.   He just recreated the plow using a steel that would shine up - because the cast metal plows of the time would not work in heavy clay midwest soils.   The same HP that pulls a 6-16 bottom in really sandy soils, may only pull 4-12 in hard clay sod.  

I know that all too well. Around here in our Rocky red clay I tried pulling a 3-18 with my 282 706 and it didn't go so well. Here a 3-14 would be a pretty good match