Is it possible to fix/adjust this regulator?

First off, can I do this when it's off the tractor? It's not in the best spot under the fuel tank for checking. So far, I know it's charging at about 13.5v after it's run for about 15 min. No evidence of discharge. The longest it sat was two weeks & no noticeable loss of juice from the battery due to a drain. Also checked the ground strap & there was no spark when removing it from the post. Any other info needed & I will answer to the best of my abilities.

Thanks,

Mike

IMG_20210820_165715[1].jpg

IMG_20210820_165726[1].jpg

IMG_20210820_165741[1].jpg

3 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Not sure why you want to adjust it ? 

Isn't 13.5 a bit high for a 12v battery after it's ran for a while?

Mike

No 13.8-14.2 is target so your a little low. Cover on and how tight you tighten screws will affect. Adjustment is made by slightly bending bottom spring anchor on voltage unit. 

Should add. If it's keeping battery charged. Don't mess with it.

Edited by snoshoe
Add info
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

No 13.8-14.2 is target so your a little low. Cover on and how tight you tighten screws will affect. Adjustment is made by slightly bending bottom spring anchor on voltage unit. 

That's strange. The battery leaks after it sits for a spell & I was told it was overcharging. The gauge checks out ok. What else could it be? The battery is fresh.

Mike

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

Overcharging it will boil out the vents after it's charged. Boiling after shutdown indicates drain on battery. Explain where leak is.

It's leaking from the seam at the top of the battery under the bungee.

Mike

IMG_20210803_105942.jpg

maybe you have a parasitic drain on the battery making it go dead - have you checked for that ? take your negative cable off your battery, set your volt meter to amperage, take black lead from your volt meter and connect it to the removed negative battery cable, take the red volt meter lead and touch it to the negative post on the battery, this will tell you how much drain you have coming out of the battery, it should be less than 50ma  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, acem said:

That type of voltage regulator is adjustable. I have a manual somewhere that tells how. Pm me if you want me to find it. Thx-Ace 

How is the PM thing done here?

Mike

On 8/20/2021 at 7:33 PM, searcyfarms said:

maybe you have a parasitic drain on the battery making it go dead - have you checked for that ? take your negative cable off your battery, set your volt meter to amperage, take black lead from your volt meter and connect it to the removed negative battery cable, take the red volt meter lead and touch it to the negative post on the battery, this will tell you how much drain you have coming out of the battery, it should be less than 50ma  

Ok, I have a draw of 168 mA. That can't be good. How do I go about finding the drain?

Mike

On 8/20/2021 at 9:54 PM, nomorejohndeere said:

shouldn't leak out the seam regardless if it has a drain or is over charged

I agree faulty battery case

I had exchanged batteries back in the spring due to a leak from the same area. Not so sold on the leaky seal idea, but certainly not impossible.

Mike

45 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I had exchanged batteries back in the spring due to a leak from the same area. Not so sold on the leaky seal idea, but certainly not impossible.

Mike

Your leaky battery is just that. A leaky battery. 13.5 volts is not overcharging. The milliamp draw you have is less than most new vehicles. It will drain battery if sitting for months. To find start unhooking hot wires. I would start with key switch and starter solenoid. Can be anywhere along hot wire. Have had dirty battery tops draw that much. If you have exchanged for this problem before. It seems you need a different battery supplier. You could try sealing battery yourself. I do not have a proven method for that. Someone else?

• Thanks 1

Looks like I have my afternoon plan then. At least the weather is nice.

Mike

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

Your leaky battery is just that. A leaky battery. 13.5 volts is not overcharging. The milliamp draw you have is less than most new vehicles. It will drain battery if sitting for months. To find start unhooking hot wires. I would start with key switch and starter solenoid. Can be anywhere along hot wire. Have had dirty battery tops draw that much. If you have exchanged for this problem before. It seems you need a different battery supplier. You could try sealing battery yourself. I do not have a proven method for that. Someone else?

what he said, and yes 13.5 is not likely going to cook a battery - 186 m/a is small but over time will pull things down. Since there arent many fuses on your tractor easiest way is just pull each one then look at meter to watch it drop there is another way across the fuse w/o pulling it - used on autos since there are so many and you dont want to have to pull all of them unless you have to. 

shouldnt be too hard to find maybe a gauge is hooked up wrong or shorted, maybe a switch is not turning off completely from dirt, mud dobbers, could be a sticky relay, could be a lot of diff things so good luck 

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, searcyfarms said:

what he said, and yes 13.5 is not likely going to cook a battery - 186 m/a is small but over time will pull things down. Since there arent many fuses on your tractor easiest way is just pull each one then look at meter to watch it drop there is another way across the fuse w/o pulling it - used on autos since there are so many and you dont want to have to pull all of them unless you have to. 

shouldnt be too hard to find maybe a gauge is hooked up wrong or shorted, maybe a switch is not turning off completely from dirt, mud dobbers, could be a sticky relay, could be a lot of diff things so good luck 

Went over the regulator. Cleaned up the points & set it back to original air gaps. The charging is up to 13.85v & the mA went down to 92. I think if I change out the gauge that's reading a slight discharge, even with the battery disconnected, that might solve the rest of the problem. Was just out on the road giving the TA & clutch a workout after adjustments there. We'll see if there's a leak again.

Mike

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, searcyfarms said:

Glad you hit the like button. It reminded me to update this post. That frassin' battery leaked again! Leaked from that seam where the top cover connects to the rest of it & leaked out the vent. Don't know what in the heck is going on, but I think a call to the dealership is in order for tomorrow.

Mike

34 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Glad you hit the like button. It reminded me to update this post. That frassin' battery leaked again! Leaked from that seam where the top cover connects to the rest of it & leaked out the vent. Don't know what in the heck is going on, but I think a call to the dealership is in order for tomorrow.

Mike

eeeeh could just be a bad seam frm jostling around and the seam opening a big, doesnt take much