Increase horsepower

planejeff

I've heard that if you do certain things to your engine it will increase your horsepower. These various types of adding horsepower using a LP head on gas, use a straight pipe, fire crater or domed pistons instead of flat pistons. Using a higher octane rating or fuel additive. Putting a turbocharger or a supercharger! All of I have heard increase hp but by how much? If you were to do everything I've listed on a 30 hp engine would it increase it by 2,5, 10 or more horsepower? Not everyone has a  dyno available to them. It would be interesting to see how much each individual has increased hp.

• Like 1

Well most of the things you list have to do with increasing compression,  which does raise hp. But I don't think you can do all those things at the same time. Ex if you use a blower or turbo charger on an engine you probably are not going to get away with domed pistons. At least not in the automobile world. Tractor engines were not real high comp in super m days so maybe? But I'm thinking not. Also it takes more than just raising comp. To go along with that you may need diff camshaft specs to get the most good from it. And that also is where diff fuel comes in. Just putting higher octane fuel in a low comp engine does nothing. Higher octane is really about controlling spark knock  due to higher comp more than making more horse power.

How much more hp depends on a lot of variables.  The only way to know is to put it on a dyno.

• Like 1

It all depends how you utilize that power increase , Some things don't react well to more power  head gaskets, cooling systems , transmission , sometimes its more trouble than its worth

AND never believe anyone that actually does the work or sells you the parts.  In the old days automotive hotrod shops would have their own dyno to show the customer  what their $$ bought. Some shops could just dial in their horsepower and give you a dyno sheet  to give you bragging rights and keep their cash registers zinging along. 

Today I am convinced that many mfg's are doing the same thing with the high horsepower engines.  We call them magic piston engines.  Aluminum blocks and overhead cams always make fancy horse power. Actually both are just marketing designs, or selling features for the masses.

• Like 1

You win the first place, blue ribbon , gold medal award for asking the most controversial , speculative question that even surpasses all the oil threads put together. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

turtle wax says if you wax your car it will go 12% faster - on a 30hp engine unless you do something crazy radical with everything you listed on a perfect day you might be able to double the hp if you did it all and of course that is just a guess i tend to lean on the conservative side of everything i dont have any toys to afford to experiment with, mine are all tools 

good luck with your endeavor

• Haha 2

Fuzzy dice, pinstripes, fancy wheels, one of those whistle tip things you push into the end of your exhaust pipe, and whatever trendy stickers you can put in your window.

• Haha 3

On 8/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, planejeff said:

I've heard that if you do certain things to your engine it will increase your horsepower. These various types of adding horsepower using a LP head on gas, use a straight pipe, fire crater or domed pistons instead of flat pistons. Using a higher octane rating or fuel additive. Putting a turbocharger or a supercharger! All of I have heard increase hp but by how much? If you were to do everything I've listed on a 30 hp engine would it increase it by 2,5, 10 or more horsepower? Not everyone has a  dyno available to them. It would be interesting to see how much each individual has increased hp.

Call Lemmons tractor service  765-938-1808, Paul Marlatt 765-938-2227 are the best for IH tractors. Gaey Baker in Mich is a good place to. What kind of a tractor do you have?

10 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Fuzzy dice, pinstripes, fancy wheels, one of those whistle tip things you push into the end of your exhaust pipe, and whatever trendy stickers you can put in your window.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, planejeff said:

• Like 1

I have a Cub Cadet with a stock 15hp 600cc Kubota Diesel.  I added a turbo and turned it up a little bit.  Now it pulls loads exactly like my 20hp gas tractor does (both tractors on same frame, weight,  tires, etc.)

Like others have said, there are gains to be had, but they are not 100% additive and for real work 20-30% "more power " is a reasonable goal in most cases 

If you're looking for "Mod X results in Y Horsepower" in a chart, you're not going to get it. Every engine is different and every modification affects every engine differently. 

MOST modifications result in VERY small gains. Starting with 30HP the gains won't even be noticeable. You'd have to do something extremely radical and expensive to the engine to double the horsepower.

Also understand that many modifications are not standalone. You can't just put higher octane gasoline in and expect a power increase. Higher octane fuel needs to be done in conjunction with a significant compression ratio increase and ignition timing advancement to see any benefit. It's only there to prevent detonation.

8 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

That's rather two faced....

On a V8 it is, straight 6 not so much ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My guess is that up compression a lot with stock bore/stroke and run high enough octane as needed and you might add 15-20% to the original HP

48 minutes ago, bitty said:

My guess is that up compression a lot with stock bore/stroke and run high enough octane as needed and you might add 15-20% to the original HP

I will add that 10% over stock is fairly noticable just the same as 10% less than stock is . Double it and it will seem radical

• Like 1

Factory black valve covers, open headers, mild cam, 6-71 blower, 1150 holley dominator and NOS on a 426 hemi in a 70 barracuda.

That has enough power to get your attention.

Thx-Ace 

• Haha 2