Changing transition cones, IH 1440

chadd

I am replacing the transition cone on our 1440 combine, and this is really the first time that I've had to do major surgery on this combine since I got it.  The problem is that I can't get any of the Truss head screws out of the cone using normal means.  I can't loosen them because the slot strips out and I can't hold them.  None of them unscrew because the nuts are self locking.  I can't hold them with a vice grip or anything because they haven't moved anywhere, so there is nothing to grab on to.  If I try tightening them to break them off, the threads strip out instead of the head breaking off.  Any tricks of the trade to get these out without using an angle grinder or welding nuts onto them?

In the past I have never had to use a grinder, torch, welder,  or any other type of spark throwing equipment inside a combine.  I have always considered those items off limits because I didn't want an ember to drop down in and start smouldering somewhere.  But, I am pretty much out of options at this point.  What do you guys do when working inside of combines with power tools?  Do you hose the inside of the combine down to help keep things from burning?  Pressure wash the heck out of the inside and outside before starting?  Any ideas or experiences would be helpful.

Chad

Just keep some water handy, you’ll be fine. I cut bearings off and weld sheet metal all the time in various machines. A hand pump sprayer is usually adequate if a hose isn’t near by. If you haven’t had to do this before with some other part you’re lucky. You will almost certainly have to do it again in the future. 

• Like 1

we would just make sure as much chaff is cleaned out as possible and then use the torch to cut heads off of bolts, we had some source of water handy to put out any flames or smoldering chaff. good luck

It must have been replaced before if it had locking nuts , Most I've seen are the serrated flange style nuts and a few are impossible to get an impact air wrench socket on I'd clean it the best you can and have a water ready and go to work with the torch you'll be fine

One tip other have not mentioned....open any access panels, clean as well as possible and then totally soak the entire area before starting.    This is the one time you want the combine very wet!

• Confused 1

Thanks for the wisdom guys!  I got the rotor out and the cone removed over the weekend.  Pulled all of the vanes out, too.  I vacuumed as much dust, chaff, etc. up as I could, laid down welding blankets the entire way up the concave grates, and brought over 10 gallons of water and a fire extinguisher just in case.  Everything went fine grinding the heads off.  Waiting on parts to put it back together.  The previous owner ran a pretty good sized rock, post, or something solid through it, so I have some adjustment work on the edge of the cage to do...