Plugged Bin Sump

Dirt_Floor_Poor

We have decided to mount a slide gate in the door of the bin. I mounted it using 5/16 thread cutter bolts. I am going to cut the hole with an angle grinder and cut off wheel. We plan to take a few thousand bushels out of there and see if anything breaks loose to where the sumps might flow again. I have unloaded some out of the intermediate sumps when the center has become blocked before on our other bins and usually something shifts enough for the center to start flowing again. We shall see. 

First I will say that I have no personal experience with this issue but I think I would do the following. I would start with a slide gate in the door big enough to insert a 8” or larger auger tube. Next I would try to get 20’ of pipe pushed in so that you can pull from near the center. Then use vac hose or auger flighting as previously suggested. Good luck. Keep us posted. 

3 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

8D4057E4-A018-44D4-B397-878E9B7CA48C.thumb.jpeg.05ec1cf961e51431f98ee213d192eb3f.jpeg

you may just pick yourself up some side jobs with all your experience and creativity - so glad you figured out a way to get it done, looks like an awesome setup to me FACTORY OPTION - great job

• Like 1

I worked for an elevator for 10 years and when a sump plugged in a older bin without a power sweep they would go and borrow a neighbors towable air compressor- think the size that highway jobs use. Pull out auger and push hose or a pipe with a hose on end in. Always worked. 200 CFM really moves trash. Now this was usually on bean bins but I would think that it would work on corn too. Cutting holes in bin sheets is bad

• Like 3

Old bin where I live is only 15’ diameter that didn’t have a drying floor in it. Dad used a 4” auger shoved into the hole in the door. We did that until we could get into the bin and shoveled it clean. 
After dad passed, I put a drying floor in it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

We were only able to load one load before the elevator shut down for the week. Going to get more out tomorrow. 

Been fooling this from the start. Everyone ele told you what all my thoughts was. I believe you made the right choice in the way you done it. Glad to hear that its working good so far hope it will continue too. Keep us updated. 

• Like 2