Plugged Bin Sump

We have a 48’ 55,000 bushel bin that will not unload. The corn was in good condition until it quit running out completely. It has a power sweep with a bunch of intermediate sumps, it won’t run out any of those either anymore. I’d guess there is 35,000 bushels left inside. It’s a Sukup bin, dealer is no help, Sukup is no help. We have run the fan for months, it hasn’t helped. We put golf balls in the auger and ran it backwards, that didn’t help. Shocking. What’s everybody’s magic secret that they are dying to pass on? The only thing Sukup suggested was to put a cable in some pvc pipe and let it flop around in the center while being powered by a drill. I’m very skeptical of this doing anything other than wasting a bunch of time on disassembly. I’m ready to just cut some holes in the side, but I don’t know if I’m brave enough. My dad sure doesn’t want to. We have a grain vac if that figures in to anybody’s solutions. Come on, let’s hear it. 

I can cut a hole in the door, but Sukup said if I cut holes I have to cut three. I’m inclined to believe them, but they would not give me instructions on what to do. They said if I cut holes in the bin sheets that in their opinion I would have to replace them before we fill it again. Which I don’t want to do. There’s no way I’m getting in there to level it out in between truck loads. It could be crusted for all I know. 

Can you come up with enough pipe/hose to use the grain vacuum through the top center lid?  I have always dreamt of a grain vac, the closest thing that I have used is a shop vac!

Have 2 people present so that one can fetch help for the other if need be.

Some people have talked about using a large air compressor to break up the grain.

• Like 2

What is the diameter of the bin?  Could you cut a hole in door and shove pvc pipe in close to center, with a Tractor or something?  Then grain vac. 

• Like 2

My brothers did the same thing,not as big of bin though, we’ve cut a hole in the door.  We made a valve on the door so we could shut the flow on and off as we filled trucks, we got it down to the door so we could get in there with long rods and poke at the stumps and got it to flow.

• Like 1

I think that as long as you have an air hole in front of the vacuum itself, you should be able to shove the pipe most of the way to the center. I think. 
What about pulling the auger out and reaching in with a hooked rod? Frozen stuff I know how to deal with. Are you sure you didn’t have an auger come apart? Be strange to have all the traps plugged. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

What is the diameter of the bin?  Could you cut a hole in door and shove pvc pipe in close to center, with a Tractor or something?  Then grain vac. 

I like this idea with this add. After pipe is pushed in. Add elbow to hook vacuum to. Bore hole in elbow to slide airpipe in. With vac running should be able to push airpipe in as corn is pulled out. Duplicates pickup tube on sandblaster.

• Like 3

I am guessing there is no stirring machine? Grain vac is about your only option if it is bridged over. Could maybe try a sewer auger with a big root cutter bit. Just come though the manhole in the roof and run it down in several directions towards your center sump and intermediates

• Like 1

I would have to believe that it cant have all of the sumps plugged. But if it does, I would run the grain vac from the roof down the ladder and empty out to the door, then when the door is open, vac your way to the sump. A lot of work, but better than cutting holes in the bin in my opinion. Good luck and let us know how you make out. 

• Like 4

The middle sump stopped flowing first. The first intermediate sump is on a separate rod so we opened it. It ran for a while then also stopped flowing. All the other intermediate traps are on the same rod. We opened them and ran some out and then they all eventually quit flowing as well. I don’t think it would be safe to take that much out all in one place, as in vac it down all at the door.  I’m pretty sure it would overload the wall on the other side and possibly cause a structural failure. I think it would have to be unloaded more evenly that that. I like the idea of pushing a tube further in if I can get that worked out. 

I would probably have to have 100’ of tube to go from the vac through the roof and reach down to the floor. That would painfully slow with that much tube on it. I have done it on smaller bins, but decided they were small enough to empty through the door. The biggest one I ever emptied out the door was 10,000. I figured that was probably about the limit for that method. 

IF, and I repeat IF, you decide to use dynamite please record it on video and play it for us!!!

Seriously though, BE CAREFUL!!!  Your body is only a single-usage (as far as I currently know!).  It does sound like you are getting some good advice and giving this the forethought that it merits.

Good luck!!

• Like 2

Find an 8 to 10 year old boy lower him down in there with a good solid metal rod long enough to get to the center sump! You and a good strong friend get on the roof of the bin and thentie a rope around him  so he doesn’t get trapped and lower him in!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, IHCfarmer said:

Find an 8 to 10 year old boy lower him down in there with a good solid metal rod long enough to get to the center sump! You and a good strong friend get on the roof of the bin and thentie a rope around him  so he doesn’t get trapped and lower him in!!

Not trying to offend you but this is not a good idea.   Two guys local to me died in bin accidents because they went inside with moldy and bridged grain.  No amount of grain is worth losing a life over!

• Like 5