8-hole hubs on a 966

Looks like someone put the 8-hole 38" hubs off a 706 on this 966 that's for sale near me.

Will they hold up? Not interested in buying the tractor, too much lipstick on the pig, but curious about the durability of the hubs. Most 706's and 966s have 18.4x34's around here.

966lighthubs.jpg.d57645c326b9165beccd51e1f43d5116.jpg

• Matt Kirsch changed the title to 8-hole hubs on a 966
2 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

I know I'm not the sharpest anymore but I count eight bolts in the wheels and four lights in the fender.

Umm... So do I... Nobody said anything about 6, did they?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Looks like someone put the 8-hole 38" hubs off a 706 on this 966 that's for sale near me.

Will they hold up? Not interested in buying the tractor, too much lipstick on the pig, but curious about the durability of the hubs. Most 706's and 966s have 18.4x34's around here.

966lighthubs.jpg.d57645c326b9165beccd51e1f43d5116.jpg

Are you pulling a 5 bottom plow all day? I wouldn't worry in the least about them as long as all the hardware is tight and nothing is damaged 

Those 8-hole wheels were, indeed, originally used on the 706's.

However, they made a re-appearance later on, when IH rolled out the 756,856 Customs. Seems like most Customs had 34's but if you wanted 38" rears, you could get 16.9's but they came on with these (presumably cheaper) 8-hole wheels.

If they were stout enough for an 856, I doubt you'd have any problem with a stock 966 either.

As mentioned, if there's going to be a problem, it's most likely going to be with the axle clamps, IMO.

-FT

Most of the time those 8 hole rear hubs were combined with 15.5-38 rear rims & tires from factory.  Some guys just easily stepped up the rims & tires to 18.4-38's later on, but kept the lightweight hubs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Most of the time those 8 hole rear hubs were combined with 15.5-38 rear rims & tires from factory.  Some guys just easily stepped up the rims & tires to 18.4-38's later on, but kept the lightweight hubs.

I’ve seen them on smaller 88 series equipped with 15.5 tires. The 14” and narrower rims only had 8 bumps for the clamps, thus  needing the lighter hubs.