4386 axle ratio

Roblyn

You must have a "modified" 4386, as they all came from the factory with the small axles, I believe.   I can't say for sure, but its likely the ratios are the same, as the 986 & 1486 use the same ring & pinion, and the axle gearing is the same (just wider bull gears).

Sounds almost like somebody took a 4586 & stuck a DTI466 into it to make a 4386.

2 hours ago, acem said:

I think the later 4386 had larger axles.

I have a rear axle from an early 4386 I'm about to put in my in my late 4366. I hope the ratios are the same!

Thx-Ace 

I have never seen any info showing the larger axles on a 4386, but anything is possible.   CIH parts does have several different axles listed, but I can't figure out how to drag the columns out so I can read the full description, and of course when you click on it the order page has no description.  (If anybody can tell me how to expand the description column on the parts site, I would REALLY appreciate it.)   The weird thing is they list one of the axles fitting both 4366 & 4586 as well as 1486 and 986.....I didn't think the 4366 used the larger size at all.   BUt live & learn??

THats the chart I use.   However, there is an axle listed in CIH Parts that says it fits 4366, 4386, and all the tractors in the 3 1/2" axle size on that chart - so my guess is the 3 1/2" axle was at least a option.   Learn something new every day.....

Right out of the service manual. From what I see in the parts book, all 4386s used the same ring & pinion regardless of axle size. Interestingly, 4366s used a different ring & pinion set than 4386s did, regardless of early or late 4386s.

IH 4WD specs..PNG

Good day all 

Thanks for all the information so far

Axel that i have in one

Is 3.25in

And the other 

Is 3.5in plus rust and paint

So as much I have understood is it is most likely that the overall ratios are the same

Only really wanted to put back Axel in....not because of failure but gain some strength in the axel shafts 

Not real shore what 1/4 inch would give in extra strength? In kgs

Thanking you

3 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

If you want to make absolutely sure, disconnect the PTO shaft, jack up one wheel, and count how many turns of the yoke it takes to turn the wheel 360.    Prepare to be bored.   

Yes, use a paint stick to mark the tire and the yoke 

19 hours ago, SDman said:

Right out of the service manual. From what I see in the parts book, all 4386s used the same ring & pinion regardless of axle size. Interestingly, 4366s used a different ring & pinion set than 4386s did, regardless of early or late 4386s.

IH 4WD specs..PNG

Ahh that makes sense, the 1501 break affects a lot of things.   1066 rear end below that break (like mine), 1466 above.   That would be your 2 axle sizes.   The ratio for both the 1066 & 1466 rear ends is the same.   I'd say you are gonna be fine.

5 hours ago, acem said:

But why does the parts book list one ring and pinion set for the 4366 and another for the 4386???

I'm going by my old ih parts book, printed 1983, not the cih parts confusion site.

Thx-Ace 

Could be the same exact ratio but a wider tooth or the pinion shaft is longer etc. Difference maybe nothing to do with the ratio

4366's were not pressure lubed hence the need to "overfill" the front housing like the rear's.

xx86 fronts were all pressurized (not rears) thats why less oil is needed in the front's.

-non pressurized pinions have a different part number.

Hate to say it, but axles in the Steiger-built IH 4wds were unique from the get-go. Everybody says all they are is axles from 66 and/or 86 series 2wds, but there were several parts in them that are unique to just the IH 4wds. And guess which parts usually wore out on them???? I can remember working on them 20+ years ago and certain things were already tough to find on them at that time...

Seemed like we always had the most problems with the rear axle on them, and I felt like that was due to a combination of things in the axle design. First off, the rear differential/ring & pinion was NOT pressure-lubed on any of the IH 4wds like the Farmall-built IH 2wds were; IH more or less just filled the rear axle full of Hy-Tran and utilized splash lubrication to lube those parts. That worked....until somebody didn't watch the oil level in the rear axle. Seemed like if the rear axle was 2 gallons low or so, the ring & pinion/differential wouldn't get adequately lubricated, so bad things would tend to happen. Nobody kept track of the rear axle oil level because there was no filter to service and no sight glass for the operator to check to make sure the rear axle was full of oil. Most operators found out the rear axle was low on oil when it was too late. Second, with no filtration of the oil in the rear end, any damage from an axle bearing, bull pinion, differential, etc. would just eventually find its way through the rest of the axle, causing a lot of parts failure before it was discovered.

The front axle was pressure lubed on the bigger 4wds(4568/4586/4786 models), but not on the 4366/86s IIRC. And since the front axle also served as the reservoir for the hydraulic system, it usually didn't run very low for very long. Also, the sight glass for the front axle at least allowed somebody to quickly check the oil level as well. The front axle oil was also ran through the filters for the hydraulic system, so the problems with contaminated oil were greatly reduced.

Correct,  but.... its easy to think of them as being the same.   "They took the 1466 rear housing, and slapped a special front cover plate and a special pinion shaft for a yoke on the front."  is the easiest way to describe it to somebody who hasn't seen one!    The 4366 was not, but pretty sure my early 4386 front end was pressure lubed, IIRC, I sent my service manual off with the tractor!   Going off memory of what I read in the manual.  Maybe it was only the later ones, but I think mine was as well.

Totally get you on not checking the rear end enough - sealed and no leaks, so it must be fine right??

All 86 series Steiger built tractors had pressure lubed fronts. The early 4386 had a similar brake setup like the 4366. Later ones had wet brakes, that’s probably the difference your thinking of.

3 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

All 86 series Steiger built tractors had pressure lubed fronts. The early 4386 had a similar brake setup like the 4366. Later ones had wet brakes, that’s probably the difference your thinking of.

So the later ones had 986 style brakes .....

Yes the brakes are the driveline style brake on the early 4386. The front axle is pressure lubed. Mine is a very early 4386

One of the past parts I bought for my 4386 was a brake caliper.   It cost me $1000 for a good used one....I thought this was absolutely insane.   Until I went to buy a new brake caliper for the FNH 9030.    THis is basically similar to a caliper on a 1 ton truck......but REMAN cost was $1700!!!     

6 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

One of the past parts I bought for my 4386 was a brake caliper.   It cost me $1000 for a good used one....I thought this was absolutely insane.   Until I went to buy a new brake caliper for the FNH 9030.    THis is basically similar to a caliper on a 1 ton truck......but REMAN cost was $1700!!!     

Yes brake parts are becoming the issue for these old girls