3082 backhoe

GeorgeD

I have a line on a 3082 Series B backhoe. I see also that they made a Series A as well. First off, does anyone know the difference between the two?Secondly does a 544 Utility have enough hydraulic pressure and volume to operate one of these? My 544 is a hydro. Don’t know if that makes a difference in the volume the pump puts out. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks. 

51 minutes ago, mmi said:

buy name brand TLB not IH or any add on

Any backhoe is better than a shovel.

The IH you're going to run into parts support problems, that's for sure. Dresser dropped everything but the bulldozers like so many hot potatoes back in the early 1980's and there weren't that many of them to begin with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neukm said:

I concur. Had a 3082 around here as a kid growing up. what a POS

What specific issues did you have with it?

Keep in mind that a 3pt backhoe is not a TLB.

Speaking of which it might not be a great idea to connect the top link for this backhoe to the 544's top link load sensing.

16 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What specific issues did you have with it?

Keep in mind that a 3pt backhoe is not a TLB.

Speaking of which it might not be a great idea to connect the top link for this backhoe to the 544's top link load sensing.

It's been awhile, but the things that come to mind are: no down force to dig in hard ground, it would just raise the 3 pt., the "boom" cylinder was undersized or something, it had very little power to pull the bucket, and the swing was entirely too quick and impossible to feather. Also, the narrow bucket seemed to be terrible for cleaning out in sticky soil.  Add this all to the fact that they have very short reach, so it's necessary to move forward frequently, constantly moving from the backhoe seat to the tractor seat.

Thanks for all the info. I’m not real sure how much work I would do with it. Just thought it would be neat to have a backhoe that sort of matched up with my tractor. And I don’t think they are that common.  It sure though. 

9 minutes ago, GeorgeD said:

Thanks for all the info. I’m not real sure how much work I would do with it. Just thought it would be neat to have a backhoe that sort of matched up with my tractor. And I don’t think they are that common.  It sure though. 

It does look like is in  good shape. I really wouldn’t be afraid of parts support. Cylinder seals can be matched up, hoses custom made, control valve is some out-sourced unit that doesn’t contain anything special, the only thing left is large pieces of steel that you couldn’t afford even if they WERE still available. If the price is right I’d sure buy it. Fact is, you’re lucky I don’t know where it is!

if it was not for the faux crisis that is $600 toy unit 1/2 $ if truly IH built

and TLB would be < $ 7500

how much is the black one in photo?  better unit   but everything in that lot looks like weekender toy ,fix all week throw away

have 3 IH, if want anything done we use a REAL TLB, case, even when cobbled for the day(millions built and still NLA)

4 hours ago, snoshoe said:

I wouldn't think it would be any different than the 2400s top link sensing. Just leave the draft lever down.

I'm just thinking that it is pulling and tugging on the top link when you're digging. That's where all the force is. A lot more force than a plow I'd think. 

Most modern 3pt backhoes have the top link mounted solid to the frame of the backhoe. That keeps it from jumping up and down as much when you're digging.

1 hour ago, GeorgeD said:

He told me $3500. Too much?

I was just searching the auctions an hour ago, I was so intrigued by the thing. Two recent listings were already sold but didn’t state the price. I found 2 more , one for $1000 and another for fkn $3900!! I can’t believe the money these things are fetching!  Take cash with you and low-ball the sht out of it and see what he says. If you happen to google it and see the video of one demonstrated on a John Deere, the action of the backhoe is real choppy. That is the tractor causing that , there is something wrong with the hydraulic pump. I had a 3020 with a loader and it did that exact same thing. That’s a cool little hoe, will come in handy when you have to dig up the gas line on Christmas Eve.

We used a neighbors...............Let me put it this way, if your only experience digging is with a shovel and pick, they are fantastic..............If you have run a real backhoe or excavator, they aren't much better than a shovel.  Like others said, the limited reach, and being on the 3pt and all the slop with that is annoying.  But its quicker than doing it by hand, and work around solutions can be had.  I know the neighbors were digging a water line out one time, to solve the moving issue, I ran the IH utility tractor with one of them running the hoe, I could hold the tractor brakes which helped, and could be ready to move immediately when needed.  I often wondered how it would have worked on fast hitch tractor with down pressure but never tried it, we actually used it on a Oliver 1850 when we borrowed it.  

Ours has dug a lot of material, more than some make it sound possible with. 

Dad runs it pretty much, I've ran it some, not a huge fan of the 4 stick setup like was said. We pretty much always ran it on the 666 but have thought about putting it on our 544Hydro utility too but haven't yet. 

It definitely beats a shovel. Definitely slops/jerks/bucks around just being on the 3pt but you get used to it I thought. 

It's sure saved a lot of work around this place and wouldn't want to be without it but it wouldn't replace a real backhoe I don't think.

The lifting of the three point lower lift arms is easily solved by diagonal braces from the lift pins to the attaching point of the tractor end of the top link. That would also eliminate any undue force working on the load sensing mechanism.