Newby with a International 674

Hi All

I am new to tractors and just got given a 674. Excuse the stupid questions. Been trying to run through a few things with regard oil / filter changes etc.

• what engine oil can i use
  • is the engine oil different from the gearbox oil or does it use the same oil
  • how much do i need and what is the process
  • where is the serial number - can't seem to find it anywhere
  • what is the process for changing the fuel filters (Delphi 296 x 2)
  • it did start when i got it but needed some ether as it has been standing for a long time
  • since then can't start it again - did notice the start lever under the steering has a cable running to the fuel pump i think but it's not connected as the cable appears to have sheared off so no end to reattach.
  • tried to hold the connecting lever back a bit while turning it over but no luck.

First I would get a manual it will be valuable for future reference . Any good quality Diesel engine oil would work either 15w40 or 30 w  the transmission uses Hydraulic oil only Hytran or equivalent Hydraulic oil  not sure on the capacities that's something the manual is for  , the serial number on those is usually a little tin plate on the right front of the bolster above the front axle , The injector pump has a start position for the throttle shaft makes it start easier when the cable is working after they start then you move it to the run position Good luck with your tractor

welcome to the big red family from far far away, yes good idea to get manual, or find a neighbor with one 

ks farmdude has things covered way better than I could ahve done for you so kudos to him!!! i had to say hello tho!!!

Where abouts in NZ are you.?Several members here through both Islands  may be able to help you on a more local basis

This should be close enough to your model tractor to be useful. I have one, and it is pretty good for the cost. You have a good tractor that (once operating correctly) will be powerful, simple to use, and useful!

IH 385, 484, 584, 684, 784, 884 Ops Manual [126] | Trade Me Marketplace

• Like 1

Hi there in Tauranga....please check your private messages.....hopefully we can chat  and sort some stuff out for you.

Regards ,Heath,

Critical to have on/off/start cable EXACTLY where it should be.Will be almost impossible to start when cold correctly if not fixed and set. Put the ether can aside until all other issues are taken care of first.