1863 charging issue

brian falcone

I've had this tractor for 10 years and never had a problem...battery was 6 years old. Anyway wife went to cut grass and battery was too low to start. Jumped it and it ran all day. Replaced battery just for good measure. I cut the grass last week and the electric pto quit on me. Parked tractor and it had the same low battery issue. I'm not the best with electrical but before I take it to a shop I figured I'd trouble shoot it. Charged the battery overnight. Fired it up and set it 3/4 throttle. I had 12 volts at battery and it slowly went down as it was running....went to test regulator and.....where the **** is the regulator on this tractor? It has the Kohler command  18hp motor. Cant find much help online. Also...does this tractor use a stater behind the flywheel to charge battery ? Or is there something else. Shop said 250 dollar max to repair it but I'd like to fix it before I go that route1505020_10152133995546410_1727146982_n.jpg.9a05c5c83b45344d7cf860099d3abf43.jpg

Regulator is mounted on fan shroud. Has three wire plug. Two wires are ac from stator behind flywheel. Should have 28 volt ac at full throttle. Other wire is your b+. If you have the ac and only battery voltage at b+. Replace regulator. If you don't have the ac replace stator.

• Like 1

To add to above. Most kohler regulators are ac on pins 1 and 3 (outside) and 12v dc on pin 2 (middle)

• Like 1

28-29 vac outside pin to outside pin should yield 14-14.5 vdc center pin to ground. If good ac and bad dc, bad regulator. If bad ac, most likely stator or flywheel magnet issue.  There are resistance and short to ground (continuity) tests for the stator you should do before diving into replacement. 

Regulator is easy fix..   stator is a PITA to replace, pull motor, pull flywheel. 

• Like 1

Also,  those weren't known for good wiring harnesses.  You might get 14+ vdc at the regulator,  but not get the same at the battery due to poor quality wiring.  Check voltages at the regulator itself, then at battery.....any difference,  chase wiring, or just run new charging wire.

• Like 1

Didnt have time fo work on it yet but did notice something... on the battery theres only the possitive cable that goes to the starter and the ground wire along with a small wire that goes down to a bolt  on the battery tray. Should there be a small wire going to the possitive terminal ? Or does it charge it through the wire that goes to the starter ? 

• 3 weeks later...

28+ volts outside pins check, 0 or maybe 1 v center pin...hm let's try a reg off a diff tractor..after all somebody said it's cake he thinks to himself. Right before the nut from the regulator bolt falls down into the flywheel never to be seen again......sigh..🤦‍♂️😆 guess I will be pulling the engine out of the 782.

Did you get it fixed? 

On 8/19/2021 at 11:22 AM, brian falcone said:

Didnt have time fo work on it yet but did notice something... on the battery theres only the possitive cable that goes to the starter and the ground wire along with a small wire that goes down to a bolt  on the battery tray. Should there be a small wire going to the possitive terminal ? Or does it charge it through the wire that goes to the starter ? 

Bummer. I could put my leads from my meter into the back side of my wire loom plug with it still plugged in and had 28 to maybe 31 volts ac outside wire to outside wire. I then tried center wire to ground on DC setting and got 1 volt or less. I suppose I might not have had it grounded properly but I think I also checked back under my seat going from solenoid to battery ground and only had 12 volts there. Battery voltage only no charging I presumed.

16 hours ago, brian falcone said:

I pulled the plug and theres .4 volts coming from the plug that comes from stator...  off to the lawnmower shop she goes.

From where to where? AC orDC? With plug off of regulator. Engine wide open. Should be 28-30 volt AC. .4 volts would be bad stator. Middle wire to ground with same conditions should be battery voltage DC. .4 volts would be no connection to battery.

As stated above .......you must test outside pins of harness with meter on AC volts and test pin to pin....28-29 VAC.

Center pin I'd harness, DC setting, pin to ground 13.5-14.5 VDC.....

Ok...finally had some time this morning to look at it again .I pressure washed the engine compartment and found a short in the wire going to the pto. Charged battery. Fired it up. If I test the two outside prongs in the wire coming from stator I have 36 volts. When its plugged into regulator I have the same voltage as the battery which  is never above  12.5 or so and drops as tractor  is running . If I disconnect the battery ot will stall out...Ordered  a stator from amazon. It came in yesterday.  Going with the info you guys have me I'm going to replace the voltage regulator and see if it fixes the problem. If not it will go to the shop. I simply dont have the time to do  it myself . Thanks for the tips and I'll let you know what happens.

Sounds like your on the right track.  Next step for me too but it's been a busy week and this next week will be 2. Probably be next week before I can look at mine again. Hope a new regulator does it for you.