ih 560 bad growl from hyd pump area

brianguex

I am working on  a 560 for a customer, who swapped out a pump from a 460. I've been chasing a bad howl/growl noise.  I swapped out power steering pumps as well. I noticed the lower pto gear is chipped up in spots. I also noticed the pump gear isn't meshing too deep into the drive gear.  I split the tractor to replace the large pto gear, (its a 51 tooth ).  are the pumps the same from 460 to 560? I also looked into all the valving, and I  bypassed the hyd system and ran the hose back into the rear end to bypass any valve issues, no change in noise. I changed the fluid and filter as well.... I am guessing the noise is from the gear not meshing correctly but not sure if anyone ran into this before........

I am going to also add there is different depths machine where the pump bolts to the cover so getting everything set can be hard and yes mine made the noise but I came up with the correct gear. Good luck , you almost need to start from scratch.

I replaced the pto input gear, what a job, and I noticed when i install the hyd pump, the gear doesn't mesh correctly. I went and picked up a used pump with cover from a donor 560 and that gear doesn't even touch the drive gear.  Can any one help me find the right cover and pump or gear combo? teh pto input gear has 51 teeth on it.

3 hours ago, brianguex said:

I replaced the pto input gear, what a job, and I noticed when i install the hyd pump, the gear doesn't mesh correctly. I went and picked up a used pump with cover from a donor 560 and that gear doesn't even touch the drive gear.  Can any one help me find the right cover and pump or gear combo? teh pto input gear has 51 teeth on it.

Can you take any pictures for us?

Input shaft and driven gear changed depending whether pto was planetary or clutch type. Pump gear had to match driven gear used. Add to that different capacity pumps were available which added more gear selections and possibly pump spacers. 460 was a narrower frame. So possibly a whole nother set of possible. Don't know that for sure. Any way we certainly don't have enough information to make any recommendations. 

snoshoe, I went and looked, and I can't find the original pump and gear set up. I have two pumps and two gears at my shop. I am going to swap out gears and pumps and see if I can get lucky with the correct combination. The owner bought it this way making noise and was working on it before he passed. His son is now the owner and we are trying to fix it. He has three other 560's as well.   

This is not easy but when I had problems with my 560 I took a good, known straight edge and a depth micrometer and got measurements with the plate off the tractor that the pump mounts to. I got a high and low because you can be on a tooth or in the valley, had to turn the crank just a bit to get the maximum and min. I then laid the plate with the pump out so I could measure how far the gear stuck out. I compared the measurements and allowed for a gasket. It will give you a place to start. I had two 560s and the covers were different with different cast number between the two. Seems like .250 thousand difference. Then there are different gears sizes.

vacDaddyt, do you have the part numbers from each plate?  I installed my pump and plate assy and I actually used shim washers between the pump and plate. I need to move the pump in .125 to get the correct backlash. I was going to machine the outer edge of my plate and then allow the use of  gaskets if needed. I have two plates with the same numbers on them. I also have two diff pumps and two diff gears and nothing seems to work.

Not sure, I'll look when I get to my home computer. It has been four years or so when I went through that and have since sold one of the tractors. Seems like there was a serial number break between the two.

Looks like the one you are working on has decent paint going for it. I prefer the Deluxe seat and had both changed before I started to sell. Come to think I have a original cushion with a small tear in it some place I was going to put on but never did.

I found the correct pump plate. I reassembled the tractor Saturday and the noise is gone!! I've learned quite a few things about about the 460/560 series..lol Time to move on to my next customer... 1943 John Deere B. Track down coolant leak and engine overhaul.