Loadstar hood option

Binderdan

What determined if a Loadstar got a fiberglass tilt hood, or a steel gull wing hood and fixed grille?

From my searching it seems you could get either hood type through the 70s all the way to the end in 1978. So it must not have been based on year of manufacture. So was it a cosmetic option? Was it based on the engine size? Was it based on truck model size? Something else?

2 hours ago, Binderdan said:

What determined if a Loadstar got a fiberglass tilt hood, or a steel gull wing hood and fixed grille?

From my searching it seems you could get either hood type through the 70s all the way to the end in 1978. So it must not have been based on year of manufacture. So was it a cosmetic option? Was it based on the engine size? Was it based on truck model size? Something else?

We had a steel hood Loadstar with a 6V53 stuffed in there. ‘73 maybe? Grille had fine horizontal slits compared to the ‘78 which had large rectangular holes. Great running truck but horrific if you had to take the valve covers off. 

Sales data sheet I have for 72 says steel standard, fiberglass optional, and I think it stayed that way to the end.  Steel seemed to remain popular, probably because of the added cost of the glass.

Thanks for the replies!

So if it is a matter of options, steel standard and fiberglass as an upgrade, could it be assumed that all factory engine and frame configurations will work with either hood?

I have a 1977 Loadstar 1850 with a factory DT466 and a fiberglass tilt hood. The hood is cracked in a couple places but probably fixable.

I also have a 1975 Loadstar 1600(?) with a gas V8 and a butterfly steel hood. The steel front end and hood are very straight and rust free.

The 1850 with the DT466 is what I am fixing up, but I haven't decided which hood I want to use and wasn't sure if I had a choice with the DT466 since I had only seen DT466 Loadstars with a fiberglass tilt hoods.

No DT-466 in 72 so my info doesn't address this.  I suspect the hood itself doesn't matter, but did they squeeze a larger radiator into the glass hood which may be needed with the 466?  It appears that might be a possibility.

Thanks Howard, that would make sense if that was the case. I think I'm going to fix this fiberglass hood or find another and use it. Much easier to get to everything with the tilt hood. And I think that air cleaner would be a tight squeeze under a butterfly hood.

In case anyone wanted to know what a factory DT466 looks like under a Loadstar hood.

85882.thumb.jpeg.3e487e1d700955da1abeab0acd9bd9eb.jpeg

And the truck itself...

85946.thumb.jpeg.eea9e50551e6c78ab81b24ba91e0b81a.jpeg

• Like 3

On 8/19/2021 at 5:26 AM, Binderdan said:

Thanks Howard, that would make sense if that was the case. I think I'm going to fix this fiberglass hood or find another and use it. Much easier to get to everything with the tilt hood. And I think that air cleaner would be a tight squeeze under a butterfly hood.

In case anyone wanted to know what a factory DT466 looks like under a Loadstar hood.

85882.thumb.jpeg.3e487e1d700955da1abeab0acd9bd9eb.jpeg

And the truck itself...

85946.thumb.jpeg.eea9e50551e6c78ab81b24ba91e0b81a.jpeg

A butterfly hood for a dt 466 needs a bumped out grill. I think the fiberglass hoods are.the same between gas and diesel but don’t quote me. I know the heavy duty engines on the butterfly used a different front.

Thats a great observation Dale! Now that you mention it I see the different grilles. I think the hood itself looks the same.

(Not my pictures) See below the first picture has the grille that sits flush with the front of the hood and the headlights.

1826428820_Loadstarshallowgrille.jpg.14b3f494eda18322f15186619085839a.jpg

While this Loadstar has a grille that protrudes a few inches forward of the hood and headlights. (Again, not my pictures)

1905002686_Loadstardeepgrille.jpg.e01f7f4f04c4797145486f6b7fcbcc58.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm excited to drive it home!

That last pic is a Loadstar too. Fleetstar had a similar cab and doors to the 1969-1975 IH pickup, Loadstar still used the older style cab used on 1968 and prior IH pickup.

9 minutes ago, Binderdan said:

Thanks! I'm excited to drive it home!

That last pic is a Loadstar too. Fleetstar had a similar cab and doors to the 1969-1975 IH pickup, Loadstar still used the older style cab used on 1968 and prior IH pickup.

The Fleetstar 2000 used the Loadstar cab. The late Fleetstar used the 69-75 pickup cab.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 5:56 AM, Binderdan said:

The 1850 with the DT466 is what I am fixing up, but I haven't decided which hood I want to use and wasn't sure if I had a choice with the DT466 since I had only seen DT466 Loadstars with a fiberglass tilt hoods.

I have a 78 1750 DT466 Factory 4x4 It came with the fiberglass tilt 

All steel fenders have that seam. Our local fire Dept bought a 1800 loadstar with a 478?? ci engine. Had the bulged out grille and got about 2 miles per gallon.