Army worms

junkandcattle

no had one about 15 yrs ago when it was hot/dry they will devastate things overnight, i sprayed them and i had worms all over the place - sounded like rice crispies on concrete how bad are they for u guys ? 

We had a bad outbreak a couple years ago. Usually isolated cases most years it seems. Several nights of spraying all night when they are active. It is amazing the damage they do in a short period. They would cross the roads and would be like a carpet of worms marching on to the next field 

47 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

no had one about 15 yrs ago when it was hot/dry they will devastate things overnight, i sprayed them and i had worms all over the place - sounded like rice crispies on concrete how bad are they for u guys ? 

So far I don't but I have to keep watch as they are fairly close. I heard they were around Gallatin again also they had them real bad in spots 3 years ago. 

We had a outbreak here in 2016. Neighbor to the South had peas and Radishes planted as a cover crop and planted corn into it. Army worms had laid eggs in the cover crop and hatched and started in on the corn. Ate off 25 acres before it got stopped. We sprayed because a few had jumped the line. 

Same year Neighbor to the North had them in his 17 acre hay field. Last outbreak we've had around here. 

9 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

So far I don't but I have to keep watch as they are fairly close. I heard they were around Gallatin again also they had them real bad in spots 3 years ago. 

hopefully they dont head down hwy 13 toward you 

5 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

hopefully they dont head down hwy 13 toward you 

They are a lot closer than that.  How about back home to add a little insult to injury ? Did you replant beans in the bottom ?

45 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

They are a lot closer than that.  How about back home to add a little insult to injury ? Did you replant beans in the bottom ?

yes dad had the guy that share crops it for him replant except for the area that was hard pan washed off, I didnt do anything with my 40 I got it signed into crp so will be putting in warm season grass after deer season - cant plant it until after nov 1st - i plan to go up either this wkend or the following to check on things and get tractor ready for some drilling for a neighbor - plan to fall plow the hard pan wash areas probably take the 706 with 3 bottom up there, it will take a while to plow with 3 bottom

10 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

We had a outbreak here in 2016. Neighbor to the South had peas and Radishes planted as a cover crop and planted corn into it. Army worms had laid eggs in the cover crop and hatched and started in on the corn. Ate off 25 acres before it got stopped. We sprayed because a few had jumped the line. 

Same year Neighbor to the North had them in his 17 acre hay field. Last outbreak we've had around here. 

Yup,   2016 Was a Mess for us,  We Hauled Liquid Manure out of the Pit to the Wormy Field,    Wasn't the Best Farm Practice,   We Had a Manure Slurry 4 inches thick in about 48 hours,  New Seeding Alfalfa Didn't Recover,    Hauled Manure the rest of the Fall to that 30 acre Field.

Neighbor Sprayed his ground,

He Called us to report the Damage to our Field,   We couldn't see the Damage from the road,  His bean Field was next to ours,

I Figured changing the PH in the soil would slow them down from Hatching,

Haven't seen any in the area since 2016. 

Jim Droscha

1 hour ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Yup,   2016 Was a Mess for us,  We Hauled Liquid Manure out of the Pit to the Wormy Field,    Wasn't the Best Farm Practice,   We Had a Manure Slurry 4 inches thick in about 48 hours,  New Seeding Alfalfa Didn't Recover,    Hauled Manure the rest of the Fall to that 30 acre Field.

Neighbor Sprayed his ground,

He Called us to report the Damage to our Field,   We couldn't see the Damage from the road,  His bean Field was next to ours,

I Figured changing the PH in the soil would slow them down from Hatching,

Haven't seen any in the area since 2016. 

Jim Droscha

You guys deal with Western Bean Cutworms in corn that year too? We did. Hit hard and fast. Never dealt with them before so we didn't know what to look for til it was to late. Once their in the ear, there isn't much you can do about it. Running corn that fall with all the kernel damage the worms had done was ugly as h---. Got to the point you didn't want to look in the grain tank or truck and wagons for that matter.  Everyone had it. It was the way it was. 

2017 they showed up again but this time we knew what we were looking for. Crop dusters came in and sprayed and that was the end of that. Haven't had a issue with them since. 

How'd you guys fare in the storms last week? We have a mess down here. 

Quick quick, man the flamenwurfers, the worms nave jumped the fence around da district of cartoonistan.  How are we gonna stop em, their multiplying too fast, enabled by useless shenanigans. Oops, scuse me, you're talking about a different kinda of worm here.

They show up here every summer. It's just a question of when and how many generations we have to deal with. They are usually spotty, not widespread.

My wife is stirred up about them. They are in her gardens!

Thx-Ace