I already know the answer, but

Farmall1066

13 hours ago, hardtail said:

I’m going to say first set from the top

You are correct

8 hours ago, DT361 said:

Well - somebody certainly got their money's worth out of them!  Reverse 'em and run 'em again? LOL

Still curious - what did that journal mic out at?  Top one's the 0.020?  Crank over-ground by about 4 Thou, and the 0.020 shell was the "fix"?

I wonder what the life of this tractor was? These bearings are stamped 71, and the tractor is a 67 model, so that’s it’s second set of bearings! 
I haven’t had time to mic the journal yet.  And the top bearing set is a .010, and a .020 that came out of the same rod.

3 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

You are correct

I wonder what the life of this tractor was? These bearings are stamped 71, and the tractor is a 67 model, so that’s it’s second set of bearings! 
I haven’t had time to mic the journal yet.  And the top bearing set is a .010, and a .020 that came out of the same rod.

I know you're busy but curiosity would be tugging at me so hard I would HAVE  to get a mic on that journal!

17 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Here are some rod bearings from the 1256 I’m working on.D65646A2-43B3-4F67-883E-4B9B4D0E9DE0.thumb.jpeg.1f2590fb38b88398ca6b93435b85eb94.jpeg

Believe it or not, the crankshaft was not scarred up at all! And can anyone find the .010 bearing, and.020 bearing that was in the same rod? 

That’s sucks Blaine!   A new to you toy and it turns into a money pit.   A person expects issues,  but it really sounds like the tractor was misrepresented by the seller.  

4 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

I wonder what the life of this tractor was?

Whatever it was, it probably included scant-few oil changes!  (..? maybe got its' 1st one in '71 when they had to drop the pan to find out what "that noise" was LOL)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

That’s sucks Blaine!   A new to you toy and it turns into a money pit.   A person expects issues,  but it really sounds like the tractor was misrepresented by the seller.  

Exactly!! I expected some issues, but not this!! 
And it was sold as a good running, driving tractor, that I have yet to hear run other than 2 short videos, and sat in the seat as we pulled off the trailer so the trucker could get on his way! 

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I know you're busy but curiosity would be tugging at me so hard I would HAVE  to get a mic on that journal!

I don’t have a 2-3 mic, so that’s on order, and I’m undecided on if I’m parting it or fixing, and being it is in such dire shape, the 706 has been more of a priority after the last 3 months stuck in the truck.  706 has a chance to make a threshing show yet, the 1256, not even close!!

1 minute ago, Farmall1066 said:

Exactly!! I expected some issues, but not this!! 
And it was sold as a good running, driving tractor, that I have yet to hear run other than 2 short videos, and sat in the seat as we pulled off the trailer so the trucker could get on his way! 

I don’t have a 2-3 mic, so that’s on order, and I’m undecided on if I’m parting it or fixing, and being it is in such dire shape, the 706 has been more of a priority after the last 3 months stuck in the truck.  706 has a chance to make a threshing show yet, the 1256, not even close!!

I understand that! Bought drove myself crazy trying to get my 7 ready for the local show.

Too bad you're not closer, have extra mic's I'd loan you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

Albert Lea might be the middle?! 😬😬

I have an extra 2-3" I could mail to you. PM me your address, it'll go out tomorrow morning.

Just checked it on a gauge block, dead nuts to my feel.

4 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I have an extra 2-3" I could mail to you. PM me your address, it'll go out tomorrow morning.

Just checked it on a gauge block, dead nuts to my feel.

Thanks for the offer, mine should be here Monday or Tuesday.  I have a lot to do to the 706 yet to get ready for the show!! 

Maybe I could host a repair day?  Any member wanting to come join in the fun of tearing apart, and putting together a 1256 come on up, down, or over!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How close to the Twin Cities are you? I am just over the sconny border on 94. I might have been able to fix you up with the mics.

2 hours ago, VacDaddyt said:

How close to the Twin Cities are you? I am just over the sconny border on 94. I might have been able to fix you up with the mics.

I was just in Roberts this evening dropping off a grain trailer I sold! 

I wouldn't part it out. They aren't making any more of em. As already said once it's done right it will be around for many years and be dependable. And you can't buy anything new close for the money most likely.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Maybe I could host a repair day?  Any member wanting to come join in the fun of tearing apart, and putting together a 1256 come on up, down, or over!! 

Good idea... and when you move all the pizza boxes at the end of the job and find a left over wrist pin clip , everyone will be looking at everyone else saying, “ I thought YOU were gonna put that in “ Or, “ I gotta go , the wife’s on the phone “.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Binderoid said:

Good idea... and when you move all the pizza boxes at the end of the job and find a left over wrist pin clip , everyone will be looking at everyone else saying, “ I thought YOU were gonna put that in “ Or, “ I gotta go , the wife’s on the phone “.

Pizza comes after the work, for that very reason!! 😬🤣

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Well, that's a drag!

Yes, not what I wanted to hear!!

3 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Dang.......... Try gotvalds? They had a crank in the galvenized shed that looked to be a 407 block next to it. Has tag on it from machine shop even...

I’ll call them, I keep forgetting about them up there!!

Does anyone know if they make a wider thrust bearing? The machine shop said he could clean up the thrust if I could find a wider bearing.  

52 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Yes, not what I wanted to hear!!

I’ll call them, I keep forgetting about them up there!!

Does anyone know if they make a wider thrust bearing? The machine shop said he could clean up the thrust if I could find a wider bearing.  

I would consider an automotive shop that welds Crank shafts,  I have had a Few 440 Mopar Crank shafts welded that were scary to look at!!

The Crank Grinder Shop, "Welded" and turned to the Correct specifications,  We were Spinning those engines above 6000 Rpm's,  Those Race Engines are still Preforming,

I think Our Milk Hauler Had an engine Crankshaft Welded & Machined a few Decades ago, That Engine also had a Zillion Miles on It.

***If your Check Book is Big Enough, I would consider Having the "Engine Block" Line Bored or at least checked for any Imperfections.

Those Bearing Halves weren't a mistake in "My Opinion", someone screwed this engine back together in the 70's with the correct Bearing Parts and couldn't turn the engine over after a In-Frame Engine repair.

A late Night of "Make that tractor run for the Consignment Auction" was the result of this Poor workmanship.

Check the Connecting Rod Ends for the correct Size,

You are already this far into It!!

My 2 Cent's,   Jim Droscha

Now you know?

I have never heard of a 0.010 shell and a 0.020 shell in the same rod.

That is just wrong!

Hopefully you can find a grindeable crank close and get it resurrected.

The Ol' Girl looks like she wants to run again.

Good luck with the project.

• Like 1

It would be expensive, but, if you have a reputable machine shop that can weld up a crankshaft, you could take a 361 crankshaft, have them weld the rod journals & offset grind them to increase the stroke to 407 specs.  It would be expensive & time consuming, but, an option since there are likely more 361 crankshafts to be found.  You'd want one that's standard/standard on the journals, since the main journals need to be turned down to true them up after all the welding on the crankshaft.