some of you may have seen my cultipacker thread I have been working on - was going to post there but wanted to share a story about my amazing wife

I made a collar by splitting a piece of pipe to drive over the main shaft to act as a collar to keep packer wheels from walking off the shaft, ( pix later ) and needed a muffler clamp to secure it. 

My wife was going into town sat for other errands so a trip to a parts store along her route would be fine. 

I provided a picture of a muffler clamp with size of 2" on box for what I needed. 

Enter O'reilly auto parts pro #1 - pro 1 says can I help you - my Wife Says I need a muffler clamp, pro 1 says a muffler, my wife says no a muffler clamp. pro 1 says never heard of one of those I dont think we have those , whats it look like? my wife Shows picture pro1 says nope never seen one of those, ( enter parts pro guy #2 ) eaves dropping - he says wait i think i have seen something like that back there on the wall/shelf by the chrome stuff.

Pro 2 bless his heart...........says what year vehicle is this going on, we can look it up, my wife says its really old I dont think you will be able to look it up pro 2 insists, she says I dont know what year it is, pro2 says well what kind of car is it for, she says its not for a car its for a cultipacker!!! (  ching ching wife points )  she actually knew what it was LOL - guys says cultipacker, I have never heard of one of those, wife says its a piece of farm equipment and turns to head to the wall for chrome stuff - pro #2 in tow - they look pro 2 says well doesnt look like we have any, she says what about this one, it says 2" on it, Pro 2 says well its shaped different and the bracket is different, my wifes says ITS UPSIDE DOWN!!!! ( more wife points ) - grabs it/pays and brings it home. 

SMH - Where do they get this people LOL ? Good thing it wasnt me I would have asked for a left handed muffler clamp, or one of the vertical vs horizontal ones. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 12
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

SMH - Where do they get this people LOL ? Good thing it wasnt me I would have asked for a left handed muffler clamp, or one of the vertical vs horizontal ones. 

just like when I asked for a  24" and 36" "stick" of USA stainless brake line,  "expert " 10 YEAR pro "the self proclaimed best !

right here on front counter.......  a 20'  "coil" of CLEARLY  !!!!!! $*(& MARKED  with a big label  "plain chin a steel !!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Minimum wage employee, no experience, no training, just put 'em in a shirt and stick them behind the counter... What do you expect?

We brought it on ourselves. "NAPA's pricing is nuts." "Hey there's this new place down the street called Autozone that's way cheaper." It's all cupcakes and lemon drops until you need something that doesn't fit the script...

Then it's "These guys are IDIOTS! I'm going back to NAPA!" Only to find out that the 30-year parts guy is gone, replaced by the minimum wage employee that was at Autozone last week, because NAPA had to play the same corner-cutting game to keep the doors open and compete. Click-click, BOOM! Hole in your foot. Self-inflicted.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

I don’t understand why people can never say, “I don’t know, I’ll find out”. Seems to me that makes more sense than just telling people that they don’t sell that. Oreilly has a good website, I often look up the part number before I go to the store. There was a good Napa and a good Car Quest here years ago, but didn’t last long when O’reilly moved in. There’s no point in even having them make a hydraulic hose anymore. It will blow the end off the first time you use it. They haven’t had anyone smart enough to use the hose machine in years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Funny, I have been dealing with same situation. I needed new rocker arm lock nuts for a Chevy motor, looked on AutoZone website, says they have em in stock. Great, off I go, didn't write the stock number down, they couldn't find it in the system, left my phone at home, couldn't look it up for them, go home, look it up, come back with the number, ohhh yea, we have those. One box, they come 4 to a box, I needed 16, so, they order 3 more boxes, it shows up, 1 box, with 3 nuts, how dumb can they be, had to order 9 to get the rest. They are sold by the box 🤔🤔

Mark

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I don’t understand why people can never say, “I don’t know, I’ll find out”.

Either it's a result of no training, or the only training they get is to never, ever say "I don't know."

In my line of work you can't say, "I don't know, I'll find out" or so I've been told, with prejudice, many times over the years. Apparently nobody is capable of listening to a complete sentence, and tune out after "know." They figure you're throwing up your hands and giving up, even though you CLEARLY said you were not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I don’t understand why people can never say, “I don’t know, I’ll find out”. Seems to me that makes more sense than just telling people that they don’t sell that. Oreilly has a good website, I often look up the part number before I go to the store. There was a good Napa and a good Car Quest here years ago, but didn’t last long when O’reilly moved in. There’s no point in even having them make a hydraulic hose anymore. It will blow the end off the first time you use it. They haven’t had anyone smart enough to use the hose machine in years. 

i go to thompkins for my hoses where do you get yours ? 

The John Deere dealer is the closest place to me that knows what they are doing. If I can’t get them to do it, it might as well wait. I might try Oreilly if it was an emergency and the hose was easy to get to, but if it’s a difficult job I won’t. I have put several difficult hoses on only to have them leak and have to do it over. There’s a Heritage Tractor John Deere dealer that only sells small stuff, but that includes skid loaders and mini excavators. They are only ten miles from me and they have a really good hose and fitting selection. 

• Like 2

Have had the same experience in all auto parts stores in our area. Here is my latest story. Found and corrected the problem that was causing an engine to foul it's spark plugs. Prefer using a Bosch platinum plug for this engine. Since I had corrected the plug fouling issue, wanted to install new fresh plugs. Went to auto parts store I had bought this style of spark plug from four months earlier. First off, all new employees, so to them I'm a new customer. I hand them the old spark plug and ask if they have four new plugs of that brand and part number. Ten minutes later, and with two employees now trying to help me. I should include two very confused employees trying to help me. Announced the spark plugs I wanted to purchase were $32.00 each. I asked if they would check if the number on the plug I had handed them had been entered correctly because the plug in their hands was purchased in their store four months ago at a cost of around $4.50 .  I guess because I was a new person to them, and to appear knowledgeable they handed my spark plug back and said,  well they are $32.00 now. Went to another name brand store, with pretty much the same result.  Well He!!, thats no fun. Came home entered the spark plug number stamped on the plug body into the Amazon search window and, Wham-Bam, up comes a picture of the exact spark plug I'm holding in my hand. Cost was $ 4.98 per plug, free shipping.  

I want to whole heartily support all walk in stores, but the part stores are getting pretty ragged at the core in my area.    

• Sad 3

I have been ordering all of my hoses through Discount Hydraulic Hose out of Philadelphia.  Good quality stuff custom made.   The website even asks how you want it clocked.  They have all of the fittings, even stainless steel.  I have gotten stuff next day for regular shipping price.  Their prices are just shy of half what I can get them for locally.  Of course, if I need it that day it is a different matter, but If I am refurbishing something it is worth ordering from them.  The last I got were some 1.5" hoses for my dozer lift cylinders.

• Like 2

The only thing the current President has said that I agree with is a quote, "If they would pay better salary they could get good employees".  

Most of the parts stores around have a good manager, one of the best I know of is a WOMAN, she has an eye for detail and a memory for inventory, no computer required, she can generally ID parts on sight, and knows where and how to find a replacement.   Managers budget is so small they have to do the best they can for employees.   In recent years I have spent most of my parts money on line, if time is available and shipping isn't more than saving over local purchase I am online. Rockauto is generally cheaper than anything local, especially big items like ECM and carbs and TB's.  I like to help the local economy BUT a $50. savings on a single item, is impossible to pass up.  The one item I always purchase locally is a battery. Just had to 2 EA side terminal 8D's in the RV, ouch! and 2 EA G31 AGM's ouch,ouch on batteries.

Recently I have been using Zoro (this is the on-line version of the big industrial supplier) if you have an account with them anything ships for $5. and any order over $70. ships for FREE, 1 day service in this area. They are not cheap but they have  about anything necessary to keep things going, machine tools and chain saws,  and man hole covers, they have a nice RV diesel generator, at $9,999. it ships to my door for no additional shipping.

• Like 1

Crazy (no, not really surprising at all) I had almost the exact same experience this weekend. I sent my wife a photo, an Advance Auto part no and description to give the guy. "I've never seen that. We don't carry it." So she went and found it herself.

I mean, credit I guess to them for showing up, since so many of their peers are not, but HFS!!! I worked retail in college and it took me all of a week to learn our (much bigger store) well enough to handle those kinds of inquiries.

• Like 1

I go into Mac's Hardware store to get a jam nut.

I search the bins and find what I need and am ready to pay and get this project done.

I go to the counter, lay it out and say, $1.25.

The girl immediately wants to know if I want to buy a pair of vice grips.

Corporate should be slapped for the belief that if you buy anything, try and force more on the customer.

This is true! The store was asking one day if I wanted to buy a hand grenade? It was inert but still?

I tapped the nut.

The girl then proceeded to start expounding about everyone having an "Attitude" on a Monday morning.

Just terrific customer service.

I also searched the town over for some specific latex water hose for a project.

I finally gave up and went to E-bay.

And they tell me to buy in town first.

WHERE?

I have to say we have 4 parts stores in town and they are all very good. I work at one of them part time delivering parts and the gal that works the counter really knows her stuff. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

or the only training they get is to never, ever say "I don't know."

I've said the same thing about the Home Despot.

• Like 3

I did get a kick out of the O'Reilly last spring, as did the guy behind the counter of buying plastic gauge for a engine build.  As he says "can I sell you anything else that I have never sold before?"  Haha.

I find the same as most have stated but I try to arm myself with a part number or be very specific or just order it online.  I find that O'Reilly/Auto Value/NAPA is the best and Auto Zone being the worst for behind the counter knowledge.

Scott

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 6:55 AM, searcyfarms said:

some of you may have seen my cultipacker thread I have been working on - was going to post there but wanted to share a story about my amazing wife

I made a collar by splitting a piece of pipe to drive over the main shaft to act as a collar to keep packer wheels from walking off the shaft, ( pix later ) and needed a muffler clamp to secure it. 

My wife was going into town sat for other errands so a trip to a parts store along her route would be fine. 

I provided a picture of a muffler clamp with size of 2" on box for what I needed. 

Enter O'reilly auto parts pro #1 - pro 1 says can I help you - my Wife Says I need a muffler clamp, pro 1 says a muffler, my wife says no a muffler clamp. pro 1 says never heard of one of those I dont think we have those , whats it look like? my wife Shows picture pro1 says nope never seen one of those, ( enter parts pro guy #2 ) eaves dropping - he says wait i think i have seen something like that back there on the wall/shelf by the chrome stuff.

Pro 2 bless his heart...........says what year vehicle is this going on, we can look it up, my wife says its really old I dont think you will be able to look it up pro 2 insists, she says I dont know what year it is, pro2 says well what kind of car is it for, she says its not for a car its for a cultipacker!!! (  ching ching wife points )  she actually knew what it was LOL - guys says cultipacker, I have never heard of one of those, wife says its a piece of farm equipment and turns to head to the wall for chrome stuff - pro #2 in tow - they look pro 2 says well doesnt look like we have any, she says what about this one, it says 2" on it, Pro 2 says well its shaped different and the bracket is different, my wifes says ITS UPSIDE DOWN!!!! ( more wife points ) - grabs it/pays and brings it home. 

Now thats a story worth telling. 

My guess is they are educated by the pubic indoctrination system and have never heard the phrase, "figure it out". Seems to me most exhaust systems today are welded together, seldom using actual clamps and hangers. 

• Like 1

I used to think you had to be vo-tech-educated or mechanically-inclined or mechanically-experienced to be a partsman, but now it's looking more and more like anybody willing to take the job can be a partsman.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I used to think you had to be vo-tech-educated or mechanically-inclined or mechanically-experienced to be a partsman, but now it's looking more and more like anybody willing to take the job can be a partsman.

they are desperate for employees like the rest of most business right now, if you show up, if you can dress yourself, if you can say hello and use a keyboard you are qualified in many cases - i like teaching people critical thinking or problem solving however its not very good for my blood pressure due to my lack of patience - my children were a huge challenge for those things, it seems to be going better with my gkids but then again they are very young and dont talk back yet LOL

• Haha 1

I either order it and have it shipped to the house or if I need it that day order it for in-store pickup. I can find what I need 99.9% of the time from my phone and have it ordered in just a few minutes.  It seems like every time I ask for parts at parts counter, whether it’s auto, trailer or tractor parts it’s easier to just look it up myself. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, Rawleigh99 said:

Discount Hydraulic Hose

Bought lots of fittings from them and converted all the fittings on my loader/backhoe to JIC. JIC is same thread and angle as AN and I had some AN fittings I used on a Sunday repair and decided I'd just go with what I know. Hoses from Surplus center if you can use standard lengths.

• Like 2

The NAPA here is excellent. Nearly everyone working there has some knowledge of what’s going on- and very helpful. There are a couple of newer ones there learning- but at least they’re working I guess. 

• Like 1

Rock Auto. Best online lookup I've ever seen. If you can't wait at least you can go to the local discount auto store armed with a part number. I tend to buy just about everything I'm not in a hurry for from them.

We have an old-time store with a couple of good counter people, the manager is a woman and very good. She'll confide she sometimes looks up parts on Rock's site.

My sister worked for Jack Young Company for decades, a huge truck parts warehouse and jobber, guys would call and ask for her as she had so many part numbers in her head and generally knew exactly what they were asking for. She saved me thousands over the years selling for cost +10.

• Like 1

Seriously, you could go in, ask where the Armorall is, and they'd need to know the year and engine first.

• Haha 5