Oops I did it again

mader656

Allis chalmers hd6. Dozer for scrap rate... It was headed there soon....the good its pretty late model the bad is it needs a front track idler...the bearings are shot. Parts are pretty rare...pretty sure if i cant find parts i can fab something up, 

No pics yet but it's decent shape...other than the bearing... 

Why do I do this....got to pick up some time soon a friend had it but is done with it...

• Like 6

I'm just as bad. Was mowing a guy's yard he told he couldn't afforrd to keep paying me so I ended up with a Allis wd that I know nothing about except he said that it hasn't ran for a few years and he thought maybe it a slight knock in it.   A new toy and project I guess

• Like 4

Register and make yourself known here.

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/construction-and-other-equipment_forum3.html

Minnpar has parts manuals on line if you haven't got one

And IIRC there has been discussion of front idlers not so far back on that site.  IIRC again the idler and bearings are the same as HD5 - the  Unofficial Allis crew will know.

A good site in my experience 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Register and make yourself known here.

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/construction-and-other-equipment_forum3.html

Minnpar has parts manuals on line if you haven't got one

And IIRC there has been discussion of front idlers not so far back on that site.  IIRC again the idler and bearings are the same as HD5 - the  Unofficial Allis crew will know.

A good site in my experience 

And from there - if it has an American Bosch PSB injection pump and hasn't run for a while it needs to be checked to see if it is stuck before trying to start it.  Seems can lead to problems with "things unobtanium" if it is.

• Like 1

Excellent little tractor, you will find them on craigslist and FB marketplace from time to time.

I suggest getting a spare to break for parts. The earlier model, hd5 is mostly the same, save for the engine.

Also, Hector Gemme has parts, I think he is on this forum.

Treat the 344 buda motor like it is gold, as parts are almost as expensive.

2 minutes ago, supermechanic said:

Treat the 344 buda motor like it is gold, as parts are almost as expensive.

If it is a late one it won't be a Buda with Lanova injection (injectors on the side of the engine).  It will have them in the head and direct injection.  There was an item at UA a while back on HD11's (similar engine with 6 cylinders) and maybe the engine spares isn't quite so dire for them.  Still the option of a Detroit as HD 5 but seems even they are getting rarer.

I picked up a 1955 HD 9 last year. It has the Detroit 471, so I don't have to worry about engine parts. Try general gear for the idler.  They also have a lot of manuals you can download and print. Also they stock clutch parts.

Spent 1/2 this weekend on an old HD5. Not, pretty,, and not like running the new Cat dozers we work on I tell ya! But the little gal is more capable than I would have ever guessed.

20210815_190544.thumb.jpg.8e0bb837584faf70fb523ccdbd32b404.jpg20210815_190613.thumb.jpg.9bb5bb95765e44aa3168d6577591247c.jpg

• Like 5

Mader:  You didn't say which version of the HD 6 you got, but check out the service and parts manuals on General Gear.  They also have everything for the clutches and brakes.  They may also have an idler from a parts machine if yours cannot be salvaged.  I printed out all of the manuals for my HD 9 from them, and then laminated covers and bound them.

http://www.tpaktopc.net/achd6strcltch.htm

I saw an HD7 on Craigslist for not much the other day. I thought about it and did a quick search to see what track parts are like. Sounds pretty bad on parts availability. It had a Detroit in it. Looked in my Cat conversion manual and no option listed for HD7. I’m having an awful time with an IH track loader project and decided I don’t need any more headaches until I get this one figured out at least. There has been an HD21 power shift for sale here forever. The guy says it’s completely operational. Wants $10,000 with no takers. 

^^

"Cat conversion...." If a person is hitting the wall finding UC stuff, talk to the shop supervisor or a service representative at your local Cat dealer. Tracks are pressed together one link at a time, therefore can be built at various lengths. As long as a sprocket ring with the right pitch can be made to work, (new sprocket welded to your hub) things could be improvised.

2 minutes ago, Cattech said:

^^

"Cat conversion...." If a person is hitting the wall finding UC stuff, talk to the shop supervisor or a service representative at your local Cat dealer. Tracks are pressed together one link at a time, therefore can be built at various lengths. As long as a sprocket ring with the right pitch can be made to work, (new sprocket welded to your hub) things could be improvised.

Allis and some IH used now obsolete track pitches. The problem is that people, such as myself, have one of these machines because we are on a budget. I could not get Cat to help me at all until I got a conversion book from eBay. I then told them to price me out what I would need. When we got to $30,000 and weren’t done yet I told them to stop because I was no longer interested. Smaller machines would be somewhat more reasonable. If I made a living with this machine 30 grand is doable, but not on my budget. IH seems to be more convert-able than Allis in general. Worn out obsolete tracks are not for the faint hearted. 

Fortunately my HD9 came with new undercarriage.  Problem is the Yahoo who put the track on put them on backwards./  It packs dirt pretty bad, but I don't have teh energy or drive to want to wrestle with them to correct it!  i have one steering clutch to rebuild as it is stuck too.  I am tired of backing up to turn to the left!  LOL  It has 17 steels and fibers in each side, so I am looing at about $1000 in parts.

I walked away from a 16B(?) dirt cheap, but one track was broken and the other wasn’t far from it.

If I remember correctly is some things can be converted to Cat, but idk about yours. 
Good luck- keep us posted!

Looks like the tension screw is already out about as far as it should go. If the bushings are not already warn thru hey need to be turned. Looks like there is some meat on the rails yet.

A HD 5 bare is only 10,000 lbs that is a earlier 6 so a longer track and a few lbs of engine. But then the heavy stuff of the dozer. But still less than 16,000 I would guess so OK on your trailer behind the 450, or is your new one a 550 even. 

21 minutes ago, ray54 said:

Looks like the tension screw is already out about as far as it should go. If the bushings are not already warn thru hey need to be turned. Looks like there is some meat on the rails yet.

A HD 5 bare is only 10,000 lbs that is a earlier 6 so a longer track and a few lbs of engine. But then the heavy stuff of the dozer. But still less than 16,000 I would guess so OK on your trailer behind the 450, or is your new one a 550 even. 

I would assume that new bearings on that from idler will add a fair bit of tension if there is a half inch thick bearing race and wear it'll pull the track near where it needs to go...

Kinda think a guy could get some dom tubing and build a new center for it... Would it be tapered bearings or flat or a bushing?

It's a 5500 and a 14k trailer but I have put 15k of hay on it behind the 3/4 ton...

Yes if bushing look Ok and feel more or less round you could be right. AC did used big Temkin bearing where most others where using bushings. But that could mean the the center is no good and for sure need idlers.

9 minutes ago, ray54 said:

Yes if bushing look Ok and feel more or less round you could be right. AC did used big Temkin bearing where most others where using bushings. But that could mean the the center is no good and for sure need idlers.

They had the front idler off and said it was ate out but seems like it could be rebuilt if a guy could find center perfectly... I know a decent fab guy....

49 minutes ago, mader656 said:

They had the front idler off and said it was ate out but seems like it could be rebuilt if a guy could find center perfectly... I know a decent fab guy....

I would believe it could be welded and bore out, but it might not be a back yard repair

• Like 1

...hard to see here,Mader...but they don't get much more stuffed than this one....Repairable, yes...but at considerable cost, because the shaft is totally knackered as well...however on the neat old HD6 you have aquired, you could well get away with bronze bush(s)  and a handy grease nipple. We have put those ''plastic/nylon  , whatever''..machineable stuff in the 91-9 front idlers...no worries at all...all depends how bad the ''guts'' of the idler is chewed out.....obviously

..As I   recall, Allis had some unusual name for their bottom rollers.....and front idlers ..??    " track wheel ""...or similiar ..??

Mike

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

• Like 2